New Member: New Bike Purchase Advice

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi Everyone,

I posted the below on Reddit the other day, but not getting a ton of replies. I’ve been researching buying my first EMTB but I’m conflicted between my options. The about me, bikes I’m looking at, and concerns I have are listed below.

Would love to have some thoughts and opinions. Excited to become a member of the community and this forum. Seems very active compared to others!

About Me:

I’m getting back into mountain biking after not hitting the trail for a while. I’ve gained a lot of weight over the years and I’m on a mission to lose it. Currently I’m 55 pounds down and looking to lose another 40. The gift to myself for hitting my goal is a new full suspension eMountain Bike. A little about me, my environment, and the riding I’m looking to do.

39 Male, 6’7”, currently weigh 275 working on getting to 240. For those thinking 240 is still heavy, I look extremely skinny at that weight with my height. It’s a very good weight for my body type with hardly any fat and some muscle. I’m fairly sedentary but looking to get active again. I live in the Denver metro area with 50+ miles of single track/dirt trails right behind my house. I’m looking to ride almost daily if my schedule allows it, but I’ll be limited on time, about an hour or so max. Ideally I’ll go during lunch or right after work before I have to pickup the kiddo.

We Glamp throughout Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. When on our camping trips I’m looking to bike on some green/blue trails. Maybe some blacks, but I’m getting old and not looking to kill myself. I’m not afraid to take some hits, but I’m definitely not going to be full out like when I was younger. While the majority of my riding will be local, I am planning to do some trips to Moab, Fruita, and some other really great trail riding areas. I’m also considering joining some bike clubs in the area for trips as well.

The majority of the riding I’ve done has been on my Trek Cobia, which has been sufficient for the most part. When I went out to Moab and Fruita a few years ago I ended up renting a Trek Fuel and could really see the benefits of a full suspension mountain bike. When I did these trips I was probably in some of the best shape I had been in since high school. My goal is to get into that shape again, and I’m well on my way.

One of the parts of riding I’ve always struggled with has been the cardio. I would go to the gym every day, bike, row, lift, and swim. I was in really good shape, felt like I had great cardio, could go out and play a full rec hockey game, but the climbs in my area kick my butt right away! I get to the point where I can’t keep up with others in my group and I’m holding everyone up to the point I start to become more of a hindrance. Then when I get really tired I start to make mistakes while riding and the type of riding I enjoy could lead to some serious injuries. So in short, at 6’7” I’m a big dude that needs to move a lot of weight. I’m going the eBike route because I want to get out and enjoy the trail, get exercise, without killing myself in the first 10 minutes. I am worried some of the best trails for riding in CO and Utah are still eBike restricted, but hopefully the trend will continue.

At 6’7” I’ve always ridden XL bikes. Generally I dwarf them and look funny on them, but like everything else, I make them work. For this bike though I’m looking for something that actually fit’s me. From what I can tell there are only a few brands that have XXL bikes. Santa Cruz and Specialized. I’ve read a few things about Santa Cruz not being up to par in the eBike market yet, so I haven’t looked too hard into them. I’ve also looked at other brands that don’t have XXL. Like Trek, Rocky Mountain, and Giant. I’m worried about the weight limits of those though and the size.

Bikes on my short list:
Concerns/Thoughts:
  • Turbo Levo Alloy
    • Size: Given my size, the specialized seems like a great fit. The payload limit of the bike is at 300#’s and the S6 say’s it will fit someone up to 6’8” which will work for me no problem.
    • Motor: I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Brose motor. From having to replace 5 motors to not having any issues with them the reviews are all over the board. Will my size cause motor failures? I don’t want a reliable bike for the amount of money I’m spending. I’ve also seen reviews that show the Brose not feeling spunky and feeling weak even though it has one of the highest ratings. I imagine this is something that could be adjusted with the specialized app and maybe by adjusting the acceleration setting.
    • Battery: The battery being only 500Wh is probably the second major concern behind the motor. Will that be enough for me to go and do my rides? Will my weight kill the battery much quicker?
    • App: The specialized app seems to be one of the best out there. I love that you can make adjustments to motor settings, have the bike adjust the power settings based on the ride you’re doing, and then track the rides themselves and share them through Strava. Seems very intuitive and user friendly.
    • Components: From reading on the forum everyone says the components are junk and won’t last long. Suspension, Fork, Brakes, motor, etc.
    • Price: The price is really where I want to be.
    • Looks: I love the flat black look. Probably one of the best looking bikes out there.
    • Overall: The price being a huge factor, the fact it sounds like it will fit my size, and the fact specialized seems to be the most popular EMTB out there, I’m tempted to pull the trigger. If the Bose 2.2 isn’t a real issue and the 500Wh battery would work for me 95% of the time, I really like this option.

• Turbo Levo Comp Alloy
    • Size: Same as Turbo Levo
    • Motor: Same as Turbo Levo
    • Battery: The fact this bike is 700Wh makes me want to choose it over all the other bikes. I do wish Specialized had the option to add an extender if necessary, but if that was the case I’d probably go with the standard alloy instead of the comp. While I think my size will hurt me, I’m thinking the 700Wh is where I would want to be to cover 99.9% of the rides.
    • App: Same as Alloy
    • Components: They seem better than the alloy, but possibly not the best bang for the buck.
    • Price: The price is not where I really want to be, but if it’s the right bike I’m willing to pay for it. I just don’t want to over pay for a brand name, which is what a lot of people on the forum have been posting.
    • Looks: I love the color choices and look of this bike. I’d do blue or red. Really hot looking bike for sure!
    • Overall: This seems like it could be one of the best options for me given my size and the battery capacity. The price though is really more than I was planning on spending. If it’s truly an amazing bike for the money then I’m willing to pull the trigger. If I’m going to have the bike in the shop having motors replaced I’ll be sick to my stomach knowing how much I spent on it.

• Giant TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2:
    • Size: Only comes in XL. The guys at the Giant store said the carbon bikes have a higher weight limit than the alloy bikes. Something like 330#’s, which is better than the specialized alloy. The height/fit guide though only goes to 6’6” or 6’5”. Something like that. Will this bike be too small for me?
    • Motor: From my research it sounds like the new SyncDrive Pro is a decent motor. Not the most powerful, not the quietest, but also not a ton of reports of reliability issues. I’m curious what others think when you compare it to the Brose.
    • Battery: The battery being 625Wh seems like it would work for what I’m looking for. Not a ton of reviews on it’s longevity, but for the most part it seems decent.
    • App: I’ve not read a ton on the app. From my understanding it has modes that auto adjust power settings based on how you’re riding. This is a really cool feature. I’m not sure if the app gives you the ability to adjust how the motor responds, the power it gives you, as well as track and share your rides.
    • Components: From reading the components seem pretty good. Not a lot of negative attention being given to them. Not sure how they compare though to the Levo’s above. The guy in the store did say the rear suspension will auto adjust based on conditions and weight of the rider. I’m curious if the +2 version has this or if it’s only for the 0’s.
    • Price: While this is a little more than I wanted to spend, it’s better than the comp alloy price. It also seems like a pretty decent bang for your buck.
    • Looks: Not as good looking as the specialized in my opinion. Also not a huge fan of the color, but I’d rather have a better functioning bike for the price than something I really enjoy looking at.
    • Overall: This bike seems like it’s a really good bang for the buck. My biggest worries are it’s not the right size, the drive train doesn’t give as much power, and it’s not as well rounded as the Levo. Thoughts?

• Giant TRANCE X E+ PRO 29 1
    • Size: Same as Trance above
    • Motor: Since they haven’t updated this version, it looks like it has the older motor. Can someone confirm this? Was that motor bad? Less Powerful in real life? Less customizable? Louder?
    • Battery: It appears the battery is the same as the advanced above, but I also read something that it is not and the new one lasts longer.
    • App: Same as above. Not sure since it’s a model year older if it has the same functionality.
    • Components: They seem very similar to the advanced, but again not sure how they compare.
    • Price: I have no problem with the price what at all.
    • Looks: I don’t mind the look of the bike with the white transitioning to black, but it still doesn’t look as sharp as the Levo to me.
    • Overall: This bike seems like it could be one of the best options from a cost, battery, performance perspective. I’m again worried about it being too small, if it will hold my weight, the motor being underpowered and older, and the bike tech being out dated compared to the above.

• Trek Rail 7:
    • Size: Only comes in XL. Trek shows you basically need to weigh 230 to ride this bike given their payload is 250 or just slightly under. I’m worried I’ll out weight the bike and be too heavy. Are they just using the ISO standard? Am I going to break this thing?
    • Motor: The Bosch seems to be the hardiest motor off all eBike motors. While a little louder, it seems there are less issues with them and they feel the most powerful. Is there a newer motor that the 5/7 didn’t get? Is the new motor that much better.
    • Battery: The battery being 625Wh should work. From reading it seems like it’s the older version and not the latest. I like the extender option and how it’s easily removable.
    • App: The app again seems like it’s not as good as the specialized, but does most of the same things. Are there features that it has/doesn’t have compared to the specialized?
    • Components: They seem okay, but again not the greatest. What are everyone’s thoughts on it?
    • Price: I’m willing to pay it if it’s the right bike for me.
    • Looks: Not as good looking as the specialized in my opinion, but better looking than the giant to a point.
    • Overall: I own a Trek currently and it’s been a pretty decent bike over the last decade. I’m only putting this on the list because it seems the Bosch is something that I should seriously consider given my size, but I’m also worried the bike won’t fit me weight or height wise.

So with all of this in mind, what are your thoughts?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Geez your tall but 39 is young on this Forum. Most of the contributors here are from the UK and most likely have not been to Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah let alone Moab, Fruita or Grand Junction which are all nice place to ride!. If weight reduction is your goal, I would look into a light weight MTB like the base model Levo SL or Orbea Rise (there are other light weight emtbs). Are you really going to ride for more than 3-4 hours if you are varying the intensity of your workout, in that summer heat? Try to find a Demo day in your area or at least rent one before you buy it!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Steep technical climbs are always going to be more difficult for bigger guys ( gravity and all that!!). So you definitely need a full fat emtb or the climbs will continue to be a chore rather than fun.
From your list I would chose Levo Comp.
Yes there are reports of motor problems but the Specialized warranty is better than many of the other brands in my opinion, and all other aspects of the bike e.g. the frame.... seem reliable.
I had a gen 2 Levo for over 2 years and had no issues at all. Clearly others have and whilst not inferring those owners did anything wrong, I think part of EMTB reliability lies in having some mechanical sympathy. Most EMTBs respond best in terms of reduced drivetrain wear and strain on the mechanical parts of the motor, by always maintaining a high cadence. I guess for you fairly extreme temperatures are also something to be aware of when pushing the motor hard.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I started down the ebike rabbit hole last year. I’m 6’2” 240 lbs…was 275 when I started.
Here’s what I learned:
For heavier riders, pick a suspension design that has a lower leverage ratio. My first bike was an Intense and I was unable to get the rear suspension set for my weight due to the high leverage ratio. There were no heavy springs available and the ones they found really taxed the rebound circuit. Bike had a 540 battery and EP8 motor. I burnt up the motor and the battery wouldn’t last more than an hour because I was riding on boost all the time. Sold and got a new bike
Santa Cruz bullet
I absolutely love this bike, Suspension and chassis were incredible. Unfortunately the Ep 8 just didn’t have enough power to keep up with my friends. They would walk away from me on climbs and fire roads. With regret, I sold it

2021 Trek Rail
Great Bosch motor, 625w battery, overall great trail bike, best climber of the bunch… traded it in on a 22 rail.I had to have the latest greatest.

2022 Trek Rail
Great Bosch motor, 750w battery, Chassis was really long, difficult to turn, Really big and cumbersome on tighter singletrack trails.The bike had some substantial warranty issues. Returned to manufacture

2022 Norco Range VLT C1 900w battery
Chassis is almost as good as the Santa Cruz, I have very little complaints other than I wish it had a Bosch motor.

For bigger guys I would recommend a Bosch or a Brose (Specialized) bike unless you are a strong pedaler. Get a big battery, us heavier guys tend to drain it faster then the flyweights. Make sure the suspension can handle your weight, it may require special springs or having the compression/rebound circuits revalved. Plan on having the bike fit for your size, you may require different seat post dropper lengths, stems and handlebar height. Consider upgrading the brakes if you are doing more downhill stuff.

You’re going to love ebikes. It takes the pain out of the workouts and makes them so much more enjoyable.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
Geez your tall but 39 is young on this Forum. Most of the contributors here are from the UK and most likely have not been to Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah let alone Moab, Fruita or Grand Junction which are all nice place to ride!. If weight reduction is your goal, I would look into a light weight MTB like the base model Levo SL or Orbea Rise (there are other light weight emtbs). Are you really going to ride for more than 3-4 hours if you are varying the intensity of your workout, in that summer heat? Try to find a Demo day in your area or at least rent one before you buy it!
Well my companies health assessment told me I have the body of a 59 year old. That was 13 years ago, so I figured I’m at least 72 :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
for improving cardio and losing weight I'd buy a mid range aluminium roadbike and work up to doing 3-4hour rides in zone 2 and stop worrying about climbing speed until you've reached your weight goal.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
I started down the ebike rabbit hole last year. I’m 6’2” 240 lbs…was 275 when I started.
Here’s what I learned:
For heavier riders, pick a suspension design that has a lower leverage ratio. My first bike was an Intense and I was unable to get the rear suspension set for my weight due to the high leverage ratio. There were no heavy springs available and the ones they found really taxed the rebound circuit. Bike had a 540 battery and EP8 motor. I burnt up the motor and the battery wouldn’t last more than an hour because I was riding on boost all the time. Sold and got a new bike
Santa Cruz bullet
I absolutely love this bike, Suspension and chassis were incredible. Unfortunately the Ep 8 just didn’t have enough power to keep up with my friends. They would walk away from me on climbs and fire roads. With regret, I sold it

2021 Trek Rail
Great Bosch motor, 625w battery, overall great trail bike, best climber of the bunch… traded it in on a 22 rail.I had to have the latest greatest.

2022 Trek Rail
Great Bosch motor, 750w battery, Chassis was really long, difficult to turn, Really big and cumbersome on tighter singletrack trails.The bike had some substantial warranty issues. Returned to manufacture

2022 Norco Range VLT C1 900w battery
Chassis is almost as good as the Santa Cruz, I have very little complaints other than I wish it had a Bosch motor.

For bigger guys I would recommend a Bosch or a Brose (Specialized) bike unless you are a strong pedaler. Get a big battery, us heavier guys tend to drain it faster then the flyweights. Make sure the suspension can handle your weight, it may require special springs or having the compression/rebound circuits revalved. Plan on having the bike fit for your size, you may require different seat post dropper lengths, stems and handlebar height. Consider upgrading the brakes if you are doing more downhill stuff.

You’re going to love ebikes. It takes the pain out of the workouts and makes them so much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m curious about the suspension part. My LBS said they should be able to setup the bike for me and my weight, but I’m curious if I’m better off buying the Levo Alloy and not the comp, upgrading the suspension on my own, then buying a 700Wh battery if I find it necessary. When comparing the components from the Alloy to comp Alloy, is there really a big difference? If I were to buy the comp, would the components be able to be adjusted for me or would I end up replacing those as well? Thanks again for the insight.

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I’m not familiar enough with SRAM stuff to give you an educated opinion…I do know ebikes eat drivetrains way faster than analog bikes, so I’d prob go for the higher quality stuff. The battery is huge…you’ll blow through a 500w battery quick, especially if you’re doing some climbing. Big dudes and hills = current draw. I’d go for the biggest battery you can get.
ebikes are so fun…you can ride for hours and have a blast. Your ride might end too soon with a 500w. Plus ebikes give you this weird low battery anxiety…always stressing if you’ll have enough juice to finish your ride….f*** that, go for the biggest.
You said the shop “should” be able to adjust the suspension for you…I’d make absolutely sure of that.
That would be like a shoe salesman and selling you a size 10 shoe when you wear a 13 and telling you to loosen the laces, they should fit….Nope, not when we’re spending that much money.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think the specific brand matters that much for your goals, which are essentially the same that I have. All the brands listed are what I considered as I have been tracking these forums and the reviews for over three years targeting an EMTB for the same reasons you are. Four weeks ago I purchased my EMTB which is one of your listed options.

6'3, 235lbs, so effectively your target weight you are aiming for. 62 years on this frame.

Just finished on Saturday my hardest ride. At the 15 mile halfway point were I turned around I had over 3500' elevation climbing with 42% battery remaining. I did a lot of ECO and Trial mode with just enough Turbo to get me up very steep climbs. I finished the ride at 32 miles and 3950' climbing. The ride was 4 hours. I got back feeling tired, but not spent. There were two hard pulls of 2000' feet and 1500' over 6 miles with a minimal 1/2 mile descent between them. My heart rate was sustaining 160 for that duration which was hard but comfortable. The approach I am using is to get into a comfortable cadence of 85-100 and then shift down to maintain the cadence or switch to a higher mode. This is effectively a real-world spinning class. Total calorie burn was close to 2000. I am 62.

I have been trail running for the past few years but cannot sustain that output without collapsing into a worthless heap at the end of the run. I have been targeting the EMTB for your reasons: get these long workouts in and still be able to function and get another workout in the next day. My current strategy is a 'hard' Saturday like above, and the next day an 'easy' day of about 20 - 25 miles. The difference is using more battery/motor and spinning a lot easier but still getting in 800 - 1000 calories. This easy day really makes my body feel good.

Weight is probably your biggest factor for the battery. I think if you ride smart using no-assist, eco and trail you will get the long rides in with good cardio burn which is what I believe we are both after.

Here in the U.S. (California, San Francisco South Bay area), after reading and watching all the reviews I would have picked the entry level Trek Rail. However, Specialized had a better financing option and the best local dealer. I was able to get the bike a few months ahead of schedule. And I am so glad: these are life changers!

I am on the fourth weekend ride on my entry level Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy with the 500w battery. Closing in on 250 miles.

I was skeptical of the battery range but not any longer.

Do not overthink the brand. All the options you listed are probably fantastic. I know the base Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy is a godsend for me.

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
I don't think the specific brand matters that much for your goals, which are essentially the same that I have. All the brands listed are what I considered as I have been tracking these forums and the reviews for over three years targeting an EMTB for the same reasons you are. Four weeks ago I purchased my EMTB which is one of your listed options.

6'3, 235lbs, so effectively your target weight you are aiming for. 62 years on this frame.

Just finished on Saturday my hardest ride. At the 15 mile halfway point were I turned around I had over 3500' elevation climbing with 42% battery remaining. I did a lot of ECO and Trial mode with just enough Turbo to get me up very steep climbs. I finished the ride at 32 miles and 3950' climbing. The ride was 4 hours. I got back feeling tired, but not spent. There were two hard pulls of 2000' feet and 1500' over 6 miles with a minimal 1/2 mile descent between them. My heart rate was sustaining 160 for that duration which was hard but comfortable. The approach I am using is to get into a comfortable cadence of 85-100 and then shift down to maintain the cadence or switch to a higher mode. This is effectively a real-world spinning class. Total calorie burn was close to 2000. I am 62.

I have been trail running for the past few years but cannot sustain that output without collapsing into a worthless heap at the end of the run. I have been targeting the EMTB for your reasons: get these long workouts in and still be able to function and get another workout in the next day. My current strategy is a 'hard' Saturday like above, and the next day an 'easy' day of about 20 - 25 miles. The difference is using more battery/motor and spinning a lot easier but still getting in 800 - 1000 calories. This easy day really makes my body feel good.

Weight is probably your biggest factor for the battery. I think if you ride smart using no-assist, eco and trail you will get the long rides in with good cardio burn which is what I believe we are both after.

Here in the U.S. (California, San Francisco South Bay area), after reading and watching all the reviews I would have picked the entry level Trek Rail. However, Specialized had a better financing option and the best local dealer. I was able to get the bike a few months ahead of schedule. And I am so glad: these are life changers!

I am on the fourth weekend ride on my entry level Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy with the 500w battery. Closing in on 250 miles.

I was skeptical of the battery range but not any longer.

Do not overthink the brand. All the options you listed are probably fantastic. I know the base Specialized Turbo Levo Alloy is a godsend for me.

Does your levo alloy feel solid? Components, suspension, etc.? I could save a lot of money by buying the 700Wh battery separately. Then I would have not just a 700Wh battery but a 500 as well as a backup. That’s really tempting. :)

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Does your levo alloy feel solid? Components, suspension, etc.? I could save a lot of money by buying the 700Wh battery separately. Then I would have not just a 700Wh battery but a 500 as well as a backup. That’s really tempting. :)

A couple of things.

1) Most may not know this, but the Specialized dealer you purchase from have their own discretion to upgrade your 500wh battery to a 700wh battery. They would have you pay the difference not only between the price of the batteries, but the actual ability to resell the battery. I found this out from a less then savory dealer who was pushing every option at me to buy. The price of the 700wh battery is ~$1300, and the 500wh battery ~$800. So there is that difference and the price they dealer feels they could actually sell a 500wh battery for which may not be the ~$800. The dealer I purchased from did confirm this, and stated they had 700wh batteries available, but they did not offer that to me.

2) I have not the need for the 700wh at this point in my journey. I am able to ride 3 - 4 hours without any issue, getting back with 15% or above on every ride. Most rides in the 20 to 25 mile range I get back with 30% battery. Note, my rides are about 12 to 18 miles road to the trail and then 5 to 10 miles trail. This is changing as my last ride with almost 4000' climbing was about 50/50 road and steep trail. I currently ride from the house to the trail; I do not have a bike mount on my car. When I get to the point of exhausting my battery I plan to get the bike mount on the car and simply get closer to the trail to have more battery. Essentially I perform battery management to get to the trail which takes 10-25% of the battery. Driving to the trail would effectively give me the difference of the 700wh battery.

3) Solid. Yes. Disclosure. I planned on getting to pro moto-cross in the early 80's, but that did not manifest. I was very technical but did not have magic. I last rode MTB 15 years ago on a bike I did not like and it did not like me. Best to ask a currently qualified rider about suspension. My belief on components is that they are all much better the what I can currently get out of them. What I do know is that the disk brakes are terrific; bed them in correctly and they are really solid. Big challenge was getting the cockpit to fit and once that was done the ride is very natural, painless, comfortable. Seven to eight hours riding on a weekend and feeling rejuvenated and not beat up. I am relearning my MX skills beginning with cornering. Throw it in. Get the bike down with outside weight, handle bars down and into the corner and body pointing down the fall line. I have yet to miss a line when doing that so I believe that points the bike being able to square a corner or hit a berm (like my last Maico racer). I am the limiting factor. Best feeling is the true flat and downhill riding - not at these stupid speeds I see on Youtube - my body position being back and low over the bike, legs working, upper body relaxed letting the bike have it's head. Really comfortable and getting more confidence.

4) Probably any of the bikes in your list will ride exceptionally well. Get on the trail.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
Oh, and be sure to get a good helmet, elbow, knee pads and hydration. I am large, and you are even more so :). We bounce a bit when hitting the deck. Hydration is a pain to resolve and I am still working on it. Account for $300-500 for that. You also may need to get a longer stem and wider bars; ebay is you friend for those.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
My LBS had an Alloy Comp in my size so I bought it. I’m a complete eMTB noob but last rode a WR450F a decade ago. I haven’t gotten out to a proper trail yet but have ridden 60km in a couple of days commuting to work on groomed city trails. The bike is solid and a lot of fun. Get what you can and ride it. My LBS just had a bunch of bike orders cancelled from the manufacturers due to the Shanghai shutdown last March. Selection may become very limited very soon.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
for improving cardio and losing weight I'd buy a mid range aluminium roadbike and work up to doing 3-4hour rides in zone 2 and stop worrying about climbing speed until you've reached your weight goal.
where's the fun in that? 😂. I'm sure you're correct of course.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Would love to have some thoughts and opinions.

Hey, Colorado. Welcome. You've come to the right place. We're overflowing with thoughts and opinions here. Luckily, your verbosity has provided enough info to help form my own opinion. It was easy.

But let me start by saying I would look hard at the Santa Cruz... but that's because I like Santa Cruz and I have an anti-Specialized bias that's founded more on ancient bitterness than their current lineup of bikes.

Now that my own prejudice is out of the way, let's get to YOUR requirements. DO NOT get a bike that does not fit you. Don't do it. Riding the wrong size bike is AWFUL, especially when it's too small.

• Turbo Levo Comp Alloy
    • Battery: The fact this bike is 700Wh makes me want to choose it over all the other bikes.

I concur. I tip the scales at 196 pounds and ride a bike with a 504Wh battery. On most rides, I roll with low levels of assist and all is well. On serious rides, battery longevity can be a concern. Since you weigh more than me, you're going to be burning through your battery much more quickly. And if you choose to ride in "boost" mode, you might not get the range you were hoping for.

So using the data you provided, the bike choice is obvious.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
From that question I'd have to assume you've either never had great cardio. Or never ridden a roadbike fast. Or both.
"Fun" on an mtb vastly improves with better fitness and a good power to weight ratio. Even when the bike is assisted.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
From that question I'd have to assume you've either never had great cardio. Or never ridden a roadbike fast. Or both.
"Fun" on an mtb vastly improves with better fitness and a good power to weight ratio. Even when the bike is assisted.
I used to race triathlon and had an awesome bike for the time. I think now I'd rather take my chances with trees and rocks than absent minded drivers, or drivers who are just angry at everything because they are wasting their lives. You're right though, I've seen some amazing descents on roadbikes, and can remember cracking 80kmh a few times

CampingfamCO

May 23, 2022
Colorado
I guess I should restate to help a little. I’m not looking to run triathlons, I’m not looking to do the triple bypass, I want to get out on the trail with the limited time I have, be active and ride. I want have a hobby that keeps me active and healthy.

With that being said I’m talking to a few bike shops about the alloy comp or the standard. I’m leaning slightly towards the standard.

Reasons:

-$2k price difference is probably the biggest part
- if I need a second battery I can buy a 700wh battery and have two batteries instead of just one for about $1k to $1.3k.
- as components go bad/break, I can upgrade them with something better
- both are sizes that will fit me.
- my wife will only kill me a little instead of a lot. To mitigate damage I already bought her a Louis Vuitton with the difference between the two.

I’ll keep everyone in the loop and I appreciate all your help!!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I haven't looked at your short list of bikes. Given your height I would stick with 29" wheels. Given your weight, strong wheels too. Merida uses 36 spokes in their rear wheels which is a boon - it's a pity that no one else seems to. I'm not suggesting merida; it isn't in your list and they are mullet bikes.

You might be happier with 800mm bars too - this width comes standard on quite a few bikes. Also the longer the dropper post the better - both because of your height. And brakes - consider 223mm rotors and 4 pot calipers with metal pads. Speaking of these things makes me consider that you really need something with a beefy build - an enduro focused bike. Beefy fork - rockshox zeb or fox 38? Heavy tyres.

Out of your list (I just had a quick look) they look trail bikes or less. Out of that list I'd choose the trek. Both giant and specialized have enduro models but not with 29" wheels.

Last edited:

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Hi Everyone,

Would love to have some thoughts and opinions. Excited to become a member of the community and this forum. Seems very active compared to others!

So with all of this in mind, what are your thoughts?
Congratulations on your decision to go out and play more
I have been riding Giant e-mtbs since 2019, here’s my 2 cents based on my experience with them (2020 Trance E & 2022 Reign E)
The 2021 Trance you’re looking at has the older motor, not really less powerful but heavier and bulkier. The new motor is not by any means underpowered, I think motor power can be classified in this order: 1 Bosch, 2 Brose (Spesh), 3 Yamaha (Giant) and 4 Shimano; yet they are all in the same category with small differences.
I agree with everyone that have suggested a larger battery and to make sure you get a bike that “fits" your size.
Giant bikes are solid, a bit heavier than carbon frames but I don’t think you will notice that. Motor is reliable, the app is ok but not great. If you like bike riding this won’t bother you, if you’re into tons of data gathering then you’d need a Garmin device.
Price / performance / quality / components : Giant pricing is close to online bike suppliers with the added benefit of a LBS network they have good components for the price.
Maximum permissible weight is 344 lbs (from Giant’s website) the bikes are about 55 lbs so max rider weight 289 lbs
Love both my bikes, they have been faultless and fun to ride. I ride more with my e-bike than ever before just because it is more fun. I’m able to keep my Heart Rate in the target zone most of the time (accidental redlining only a few times…)
There are a lot of good e-bikes out there, all on your list would be good. Availability will probably affect your decision, just get one that fits and go out riding!
👊

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
I’m not quite as tall as you and also ride in Colorado and occasionally Utah. I have a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp (700 Wh battery) and love it. I’ve never had a motor problem, but I do the firmware updates and am easy on the motor (rarely use turbo mode and gear down on steep uphills). Given your weight, I would not recommend the SL model. I did not like the noisy 4-piston SRAM brakes and replaced them with 4-piston Shimano XTs, although I think Shimano SLX would also be fine.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Buenas tardes;
Os cuento mi caso, tengo 60 años y llevo 3 años de ebiker y 50 de biker.
El primer año de ebiker pasé de 200 libras a 170 libras , el modo Eco ayuda a perder peso (mido 1,75 m), mantenerme en 170 libras no me cuesta esfuerzo, y como de todo.
Mira esta bici que la relación calidad/precio/Wh900 por 5.499€ creo que es la mejor actualmente

Espectral:ON CF 7 XL

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Do you have norco anywhere close? I've just come across the norco all mountain range looking for myself. 29" both ends, 4 piston metallic pads, 203mm rotors, 800mm bar, 200mm dropper! Double down tyres, 32 spokes both wheels (some brands go 28). Aluminium frame. $6,400 - a bit more if you go for 720 or 900 battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles