New Bosch Tour + Mode

Thwarnts1

Oct 5, 2019
Huddersfield
Had the upgrade done last week on my Haibike 3.5 and I love it.
Stay in tour+ and it saves your battery. 625watt battery, I did 30miles in hilly West Yorkshire Pennines and came home with 2 bars left!!
If you just go steady in tour+ you will be in eco.
If you do the old tour pace then that's what you will get, when going up hills the tour + comes into its own.
Only on very steep hilly climbs, I needed emtb or turbo.

We all crave the extra milage/km distance, so this is a must upgrade.
Going to push it to see how many more miles I can do with tour + now .
Love it

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Trek specific EMTB Lite was a real gamechanger and assistance feels much natural compared to EMTB.

Would be quite a surpricing if one would keep the normal tour compared to dynamic tour+.

I would say that if the riding is dynamic the assistance mode should be also dynamic.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Had the upgrade done last week on my Haibike 3.5 and I love it.
Stay in tour+ and it saves your battery. 625watt battery, I did 30miles in hilly West Yorkshire Pennines and came home with 2 bars left!!
If you just go steady in tour+ you will be in eco.
If you do the old tour pace then that's what you will get, when going up hills the tour + comes into its own.
Only on very steep hilly climbs, I needed emtb or turbo.

We all crave the extra milage/km distance, so this is a must upgrade.
Going to push it to see how many more miles I can do with tour + now .
Love it
Doing 30 + miles in the Cheviot Hills using mainly Tour and manually changing when I feel its necessary is no big deal ..and yeah still coming back with a couple of bars showing ..with roughly 3000ft.ascent...
I only use eco on extremely flat terrain (or when I'm riding with mates on mtb's ) and I'm more than capable of judging that myself ..emtb is rarely used and Turbo might as well not be there ...
Totally not needed in my world ( never mind being a " must " )..and on hilly climbs how do you know it didnt switch to turbo ( O.P) ?..the display will no longer tell you which higher mode you are in when using Tour+...

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
As a Trek Rail owner, I switched from the standard Bosch "Tour" mode to the emtb lite mode some months ago, and it's a definite improvement over Tour.
The battery lasts significantly longer and the power delivery seems to always be just about right.
I am now tempted to try Tour + to see it its even better ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm struggling to see how a mode that has more assist than the one it replaces can be more economical? Unless you mean it's more economical than EMTB mode?

Reactions: mak

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I'm struggling to see how a mode that has more assist than the one it replaces can be more economical? Unless you mean it's more economical than EMTB mode?
This is interesting and will be shown only on long term testing. On the other hand it uses turbo that Lite or Tour doensn't use but on other hand it uses ECO that Tour or Lite doens't use.

Totally not needed in my world ( never mind being a " must " )..and on hilly climbs how do you know it didnt switch to turbo ( O.P) ?..the display will no longer tell you which higher mode you are in when using Tour+...
Based on EMTB Lite and Tour+ I would say that you should try it before judging because I don't recognise the issues you mention here on either modes.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
This is interesting and will be shown only on long term testing. On the other hand it uses turbo that Lite or Tour doensn't use but on other hand it uses ECO that Tour or Lite doens't use.

Based on EMTB Lite and Tour+ I would say that you should try it before judging because I don't recognise the issues you mention here on either modes.
Thanks but no thanks ..I like the level of assist that Tour gives ..if i want less assistance then I will be the one to decide and not the bike ..?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
This is interesting and will be shown only on long term testing. On the other hand it uses turbo that Lite or Tour doensn't use but on other hand it uses ECO that Tour or Lite doesn't use.
I get that, but people are claiming better range from Lite that doesn't use Eco. How does that work?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I get that, but people are claiming better range from Lite that doesn't use Eco. How does that work?
Yes good question. It must be very dependent obviously on the terrain that you ride. If one has more flat = more eco = less battery. Will not be the case for all. This is the only case I can think that would use less energy.

Energy saving in EMBT vs EMTB Lite was clear but the logic is more simple.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
So had my update - the store had no idea what this new update was (the comment I got was "if there's a new update on the server then thats the one you'll get") but thankfully it was available.

First impressions (bearing in mind that I'm going from the original 75nm setup): Tour+ feels like its designed to keep the power in the lowest setting as much as it can and once you start to push then it puts the motor in the level of what Tour would have been and I only felt it go higher if I was really pushing hard whereas EMTB feels more willing to go to higher modes more freely. On top of all the updates (85nm etc) it did feel more instant than before. I'll get some good riding in at the weekend so properly see what this does to my riding.
Interesting as I just picked up my new bike, and I asked bike shop the same question, “does the bike come with tour +” the answer was the same, if the Sw is available then that’s what I’ll get. Question how do I know if I’ve got Tour+ does the kiosk tell me?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
How do we know if we have your+, is there a SW version to look out for?
I would say that you have to have Drive Unit software version 1.1.5.0 or newer AND then the one who updates it, tells you that you have it. Tour+ is just one option among other things when you choose what version you update your bike.

There must be something fundamental that restricts to change text in Purion screen. I wonder what Kiox and Nyon MY21 shows?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I would say that you have to have Drive Unit software version 1.1.5.0 or newer AND then the one who updates it, tells you that you have it. Tour+ is just one option among other things when you choose what version you update your bike.

There must be something fundamental that restricts to change text in Purion screen. I wonder what Kiox and Nyon MY21 shows?
I have that SW version. It’s a shame it’s not easy to tell either way. Thanks for the reply.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
As a Trek Rail owner, I switched from the standard Bosch "Tour" mode to the emtb lite mode some months ago, and it's a definite improvement over Tour.
The battery lasts significantly longer and the power delivery seems to always be just about right.
I am now tempted to try Tour + to see it its even better ?

Its interesting that emtb-lite feels like an improvement because it switches between Tour (140%) and 240% power delivery. Where Tour+ is 60% --->340% . (Eco to Turbo)

I might even prefer emtb-lite to the new Tour+

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I would say that if the riding is dynamic the assistance mode should be also dynamic.

Totally agree, if its dynamic then either EMTB or Tour+ would be the goto modes. As I do a fair amount of flat riding to get to and from the trails, Id rather like the 'old' tour mode left where it is. I dont really want to be dipping into either Eco or Turbo along on road.

Why couldnt they just add it as an extra mode?! . Some if us like to nah what grunt where gonna get regardless of rider input or terrain.

Black8917

Jun 17, 2021
PNW
My buddy did the exact same ride back to back eMTB vs new tour+. 8.6 miles 2200 feet of elevation. He used 30% power in eMTB 28% power in Tour+. His battery drained 2% more in tour+. He kept the same cadence 85% in both same exact route. Time was a few minutes off a little slower in tour+

I think I would like eMTB lite better, I want something between eMTB and eco personally for longer rides.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
My buddy did the exact same ride back to back eMTB vs new tour+. 8.6 miles 2200 feet of elevation. He used 30% power in eMTB 28% power in Tour+. His battery drained 2% more in tour+. He kept the same cadence 85% in both same exact route. Time was a few minutes off a little slower in tour+

I think I would like eMTB lite better, I want something between eMTB and eco personally for longer rides.

By sounds of it , Tour+ Should have been what EMTB-lite is. It would fit the label 'Tour+' better imo.

Cummins0867

Dec 23, 2020
New Hampsire
I'm in the US and and have had the Tour + on my 2021 Rail 5 since July 25th....finally got a chance to ride on July 27th due to heavy rains here in the Northeast. I really like the "Tour +" as it seems very intuitive and gives you more torque exactly when needed. You don't have to think about what power level to have it in and just focus on the ride. I always try to use the lowest power mode and try to use the mechanical gears to get up steep terrain, to conserve battery power for longer rides and get a little more exercise. It seems that the tour is a fire and forget mode or full auto. It also seems that Tour + doesn't effect the battery power as I still get about the same distance and sometimes more on other routes. I'm able to conquer some hills that I wasn't before as I didn't have to worry about shifting the power up and focus on the ride...which I think makes the ride more fun. I can see where it could make me lazy as the old eMTB lite made me work harder at times to get up the hill....just my experience.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I went to my bike shop yesterday and got the latest update. The guy in the shop didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned Tour+ mode. And when I biked home I didn't notice any difference at all in Tour!!
I have version 1.1.5.0

The only difference I notices was a small difference in the Kiox display, where there is a small fuel gage in the top left which wasn't there before. Not sure what that is measuring.

Does the guy in the shop have to explicitly select the Tour+ for me to get it??

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I think so. You can basically select if you want tour or tour+ configured on the bike.
Grrr, means I have to go back then.
As I am planning another Trans Alp in August or September with 630km and about 15,000m vertical climb, the Tour+ sounds like it might be helpful for those long climbs when you are trying to economically use your battery.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I went to my bike shop yesterday and got the latest update. The guy in the shop didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned Tour+ mode. And when I biked home I didn't notice any difference at all in Tour!!
I have version 1.1.5.0

The only difference I notices was a small difference in the Kiox display, where there is a small fuel gage in the top left which wasn't there before. Not sure what that is measuring.

Mine was in for a service last week and the guy at the lbs said it wasnt even available yet. As suggested by others to me on here, it could be that your lbs simply hadnt downloaded/accessed the latest updates so possibly werent aware of the update?!?

In my case, i didnt want Tour+ so it wasnt a problem thankfully.

Cummins0867

Dec 23, 2020
New Hampsire
I have version 1.1.5.0

yes, when they set up the computer to download the software they have to select; eMTB- lite or Tour +. If they don't it will default to the standard tour. I had to go back and tell the LBS Tech that I really digressed to standard tour (because its weak to say the least). If you have had the regular tour mode and then eMTB-lite you will know if you have the Tour +....there's a major difference. Also, the LBS that say, "it isn't available".....tell them to contact their Bosch Rep and they will inform them how to access the New Tour + that was released world wide on July 14th 2021.

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Hi all,

Trying to get my head around Tour + I had a new pirion and Update put on the bike yesterday.

The shop have said they have done the update but there is no option to select tour + on my whyte e180s.

Is this correct or should I be able to select the mode?

Thanks

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
The kiox display does not change. The mode is still called tour . There is no space on that screen for another letter. I don’t know if the pirion display changes?

As soon as you ride the bike hard in tour you will be able to tell if they have selected the mode feature for your bike.
As written in post #54 the job of adding the new feature is not just as simple as downloading the update.
9F7F7F93-CE03-432D-8FB4-A21134F28E64.jpeg

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I had this done a few weeks ago. Very happy and much prefer it.

I often found on the trails I do eco wasn't quite enough but then Tour was a bit too much. Tour+ just varies between Eco and Emtb levels of power so I'm not switching eco-tour-eco-tour all the time and I get a decent battery saving over sitting in the old Tour mode.

It's a very nice little dynamic mode that you can set and forget.

Cummins0867

Dec 23, 2020
New Hampsire
I had this done a few weeks ago. Very happy and much prefer it.

I often found on the trails I do eco wasn't quite enough but then Tour was a bit too much. Tour+ just varies between Eco and Emtb levels of power so I'm not switching eco-tour-eco-tour all the time and I get a decent battery saving over sitting in the old Tour mode.

It's a very nice little dynamic mode that you can set and forget.
According to Post #64 in another thread (see Link below) @Gyre posted a chart that says the Tour + goes from Eco to Turbo or 60 to 340%. I absolutely love the Tour + mode as it is a fire and forget level. The other thing that I was thinking about today as I was riding.....is to get the 340% you the person pedaling has to be really laying down the torque on the pedals to get the power out of the motor. Where as, if you set it at ETMB or Turbo the power is there all the time with not as much effort from the person pedaling....just food for thought.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yeah, I got the Tour+ activated last night and it feels OK. First time when i got the software update, they didn't activate it.
I am a little worried as I am doing a Trans Alp in 3 weeks with 635km (400 miles) and 15,000 m (50,000 feet) vertical. 1 battery.
Normally you do everything you can to save power, and on the long climbs you try to stay in Eco for as long as possible. But at some stage when the energy is running out, you jump up a notch to Tour just to relax a bit. I think it will work out.
I'll do a training tour somewhere this weekend to see if it was the right choice. If not, I can get them to turn off the tour+ mode. As the software is on the bike it only takes a few seconds.

notaddicted

Aug 14, 2021
UK
Would anyone who has had the Tour+ update installed be able to tell me what software version their Kiox now shows for the drive unit?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles