New Bosch Gen 5 rumours

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
It is going to be available on tons of bike, but definitely not soon.

It is funny because once the bosch gen5 was out, I saw several outlet bike popin powered by Bosch: it begins!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So they're going to bump the outputs right, why is that a few months away ie not at release?
Do they need to ?

The Gen4 performs pretty well at getting us up efficiently.

Aren't we more about going up to do down ??

If we're not that we're about distance and undulation.

It does both well.

No rattle, less noise, potentially a tiny bit more efficiency.

Aren't you entering the crossover phase of risking trashing trails and motocross style with more power ? Power is also relative, it still has to fit within the 250w rules.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
I was moreso referring to torque.

I just wonder why not release it with more? Rather than wait.

I totally agree that 600w 85nm is enough BTW. It's a great direction they've gone with a refining the system and higher energy density batteries. There's no other motor system I'd rather have at the moment.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Now that the gen 5 is out, it could be good to get a 3x3 rear hub in Rob rides, Sam, or Knut's hands for a test.
Apparently they have bluetooth shifting that synches up with the bosch smart system. Reasonable weight as well. Get it with a belt and it could be the quietest system with this new bosch cx

Adyzakydany

Aug 24, 2024
London
It’s only a matter of time before they bump the power, I don’t think we’ll be waiting like we did with the G4 when it jumped from 75 to 85NM, the new Brose is 95NM, DJI at 105NM.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
It’s only a matter of time before they bump the power, I don’t think we’ll be waiting like we did with the G4 when it jumped from 75 to 85NM, the new Brose is 95NM, DJI at 105NM.

I don’t get this. Why wouldn’t they have done this already, knowing the competition they’re facing? It sounds like a marketing carrot on a stick to me.

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
I don’t get this. Why wouldn’t they have done this already, knowing the competition they’re facing? It sounds like a marketing carrot on a stick to me.
What competition exactly ? They are on so many brands and that's what counts in sales.

For competitors, DJI is on only one bike which doesn't sell everywhere and is unproven, Brose new motor is not released and not sure which brands if any will use it, Yamaha are irrelevant other than for Giant fans, ZF will be only on Raymon for 2025 and Shimano has an 7 year old screen with cables all around.

I think Bosch can relax for a while, maybe till the introduction of more mgu models.

whitymon

Nov 29, 2023
Europe
Might be wrong but under the hood there are partnership involved.

If Bosch has already some partnership with brands for up to 2 years, well, there is not ultimate rush for them in between. They have the time to make it right.

It is not like you see a Bosch release on YT and brands start working from that point, some have already been working for months on that. Some brand have already gen5 supports but are waiting end of season and to empty their stock - which is still a big big issue nowadays.

Manufactured business is slow but with anticipation, this is why if a competitor pull out of his hat something new and you have nothing, the delay to be relevant can take times, especially if nothing is backward compatible. That does not mean what you had should not be delivered on the market, this would be dumb as also brand have built frame base on them.

On the other side, what is true to me, is that brands are betting on which motor is going to attract customers. What is bad for them these days is that people are selecting an emtb by first the motor/battery then the frame, this is very very different from mtb where you select the frame first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles