• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

New bike with paint damage. Should I accept or ask for a new one?

uxrjav

Jul 17, 2023
Mex
Hello,

I paid for a new bike and it was brought to my local store from another location. The bike was on display on the other location. They notified me it arrived with paint damage. They are offering 100 usd and repair it themselves with touch up paint. What is the norm on these issues? Should I just deny and ask for a new bike and wait 3 weeks? What would you do?
Bike: Transition Repeater PT
Price: $10,500 USD

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 10.27.54 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 10.39.31 AM.jpeg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
That's a nasty scratch. It's in a conspicuous place. Mere touch-up paint won't fix it. I wouldn't accept it for only a hundred bucks. For five hundred I probably would, but I wouldn't be overjoyed.

gtfreight

Apr 17, 2024
GB
Are you sure it's just paint damage? If the carbon has taken any stress from however it happened it may fail at some point.
If I was you I'd wait 3 weeks and get what you've spent your hard earned money on.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Hello,

I paid for a new bike and it was brought to my local store from another location. The bike was on display on the other location. They notified me it arrived with paint damage. They are offering 100 usd and repair it themselves with touch up paint. What is the norm on these issues? Should I just deny and ask for a new bike and wait 3 weeks? What would you do?

View attachment 138775 View attachment 138776
I would ask for 20% off lol its gonna get scratched later anyway. Then you can buy some tires and brake pads :D

uxrjav

Jul 17, 2023
Mex
Are you sure it's just paint damage? If the carbon has taken any stress from however it happened it may fail at some point.
If I was you I'd wait 3 weeks and get what you've spent your hard earned money on.
I am not sure. Shop says its just cosmetic but I can see a tiny black scratch mark that went up to the first layer ofr carbon. Aparently it was not well packed and during transit a bike part stratched against it somehow.

Im not convinced its a scratch or a blow.

From this image it makes me think the first layer of carbon or several layers are cracked.

1713479820911.png

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’d want a new bike, but would consider that for 25% off assuming it is only cosmetic. 100 bucks, less than 1%, is insulting.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Personally, I would not even consider $100 anywhere near a reasonable starting point for a $10k+ bike. At a very minimum it should be 10% or at least $1,000 off. That's what they're going to have to discount if someone else buys it. I would ask for a different bike...undamaged please.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I am not sure. Shop says its just cosmetic but I can see a tiny black scratch mark that went up to the first layer ofr carbon. Aparently it was not well packed and during transit a bike part stratched against it somehow.

Im not convinced its a scratch or a blow.

From this image it makes me think the first layer of carbon or several layers are cracked.

View attachment 138788
Next…

Oldandslowguy

Dec 2, 2022
Nevada
Hello,

View attachment 138775 View attachment 138776
I would absolutely not accept that, no way. I recently ordered a Specialized Turbo Levo directly from Speciailized. When I went to pick it up from my LBS it has a small ding, I refused to accept it and the shop gave me one of their bikes. You’ll have your bike many years and you paid good money for it. I would ask for a replacement and wait, without hesitation.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles