My Orb Wild M10 in grey arriving next week........excited!!!!

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
After months of waiting (UK) and a Trek Rail 9 also on order from a different shop ..... the M10 Wild arrived first. I’ll pick up from shop next Saturday
I’m very exited!!
A question to fellow FS Wild riders, do you have any tips, best bits, bad bits to share?
Thanks for any advice

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
plenty of good info on this thread:
Orbea dissapointed ??‍♂️ - EMTB Forums

I'd buy a crank puller tool and the Bosch castle nut tool just incase they come loose and scupper your riding plans, you'll probably need them at some point anyway
defo get it invisiframed (thats not something specific to the Wild FS but i'd say every bike needs it) I got full gloss and I think it actually looks better after it

I can't really think of anything else. I've had my Wild FS 2 months and love it, only problem I had was the dropper post and thats easily solved

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
This advice is not going to be for everyone but I took out two volume spacers out of the Fox 38. It’s even more plush. The joy of the quality compression is that it it’s too soft just up it.

Change the saddle!

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
This advice is not going to be for everyone but I took out two volume spacers out of the Fox 38. It’s even more plush. The joy of the quality compression is that it it’s too soft just up it.

Change the saddle!
I had 4 in mine originaly, I tried 2 but found I had to run more pressure to keep it from sagging loads, I did spend a while trying to set it up but just couldn't figure it out so in the end I've fitted the smashpot coil conversion and I think thats fantastic. also fitted an Ohlins TTX22M and that is equally as fantastic

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Thank you for all advice so far.
What are the Ali bars like? I’ve been used to carbon so I’m not sure whether I’ll feel a difference.
I’m 5”10 and need to be stretched in “reach”; for anyone of a similar height how does the cockpit feel on a size large?
I’ve never even test ridden the bike.... not good practice I know ?
I’m coming from a Levo and the geo looks similar in many respects (I’m fed up with Spesh as an eBike brand now; too arrogant)
Good to know that the gloss invisiframe is the one to go for... I am NOT looking forwards to putting that on the frame.. it took me 5 hours last time ?

Thedoc

Jan 19, 2020
Uk. Staffordshire
Thank you for all advice so far.
What are the Ali bars like? I’ve been used to carbon so I’m not sure whether I’ll feel a difference.
I’m 5”10 and need to be stretched in “reach”; for anyone of a similar height how does the cockpit feel on a size large?
I’ve never even test ridden the bike.... not good practice I know ?
I’m coming from a Levo and the geo looks similar in many respects (I’m fed up with Spesh as an eBike brand now; too arrogant)
Good to know that the gloss invisiframe is the one to go for... I am NOT looking forwards to putting that on the frame.. it took me 5 hours last time ?

I’m 5:10, have the 40mm stem and lovely fit . What length dropper do you have.

Lloydy367

Apr 28, 2020
Bradford
Great bike I love mine had it a year now with no problems.
019FBDFC-6975-432C-A6F2-EDBC2186387F.jpeg

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Invisiframe, agreed.

Do you have a bike stand built sturdy enough to actually hold an eMTB? I'd make that your number one priority. It was really awkward the first few days I had my Wild but didn't have a stand that could handle it.

Double check the torque on the crank arms. Apparently some are undertorqued at the factory and have been known to fall off.

The battery cover is real finicky to latch. I suggest practicing with it a bit in the comfort of your home before hitting the trail.

Have some thin heat shrink tubing and a heat gun handy. The battery cover has some heat shrink tubing around the bottom tabs to reduce noise, but it falls off VERY easily. Since losing the tubing is hard to avoid, just be ready to replace it whenever you need to.

Probably a good idea to reset the floating axle on the 38 just in case it wasn't done right from the factory.

The bike comes with tubes from the factory so you may want to pull them and install tubeless valves and sealant.

Don't forget to update the firmware on the Kiox.

That's really it, everything else is really a matter of taste and upgrade preferences.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Hi Stuart

thanks I got the jinx mount from

Just looked at the ebikeprints link; what great ideas they have!
My Orbea will be my first Bosch set-up; I'm wondering whether I should protect the kiox display using a bumper, any experiences from you?
I've also picked up from this forum that fitting a lanyard to attach the display to the bike is a good idea. How waterproof is the Kiox? will it survive a heavy rainstorm OK?
2 sleeps till I get my Wild!!!?
It's going straight to a invisiframe fitter and I've gone for a gloss finish (hope you concur??)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Just looked at the ebikeprints link; what great ideas they have!
My Orbea will be my first Bosch set-up; I'm wondering whether I should protect the kiox display using a bumper, any experiences from you?
I've also picked up from this forum that fitting a lanyard to attach the display to the bike is a good idea. How waterproof is the Kiox? will it survive a heavy rainstorm OK?
2 sleeps till I get my Wild!!!?
It's going straight to a invisiframe fitter and I've gone for a gloss finish (hope you concur??)
Bosch say the kiox is very waterproof, and I would agree, but only when the rubber USB cover is closed correctly. If you don't close that cover properly it will get wet inside and fail, I'm on my second kiox and I've only had the bike 8 months. It's way too easy to not close that cover fully.

With my second kiox I have taped over the cover with electrical insulation tape to prevent it from coming open, I also remove the kiox when I wash the bike. I don't have any concerns about riding the bike in the rain.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Bosch say the kiox is very waterproof, and I would agree, but only when the rubber USB cover is closed correctly. If you don't close that cover properly it will get wet inside and fail, I'm on my second kiox and I've only had the bike 8 months. It's way too easy to not close that cover fully.

With my second kiox I have taped over the cover with electrical insulation tape to prevent it from coming open, I also remove the kiox when I wash the bike. I don't have any concerns about riding the bike in the rain.
thank you for the advice, this will help me

S

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

I don't think the Kiox particularly needs a bumper since the holder is a bit like a cradle. On the Wild the stock handlebar clamp is so flimsy you can bet it will rotate on the bars with very little provocation. I've been trying to get a Cube Acid Kiox bracket for months since it looks much more fit for the task and considering frame mount or headset spacer mount options.

I did pick up some screen protection to try to prevent scratches and perhaps cut down on glare.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
thank you for the advice, this will help me

S
Morning all, my new steed!! All very good so far with just a few 10 min rides on the pavements.
I have noticed a creak in the both front and rear wheel; if I put the brakes on whilst stationary and rock the bike backwards forwards a creak can be heard almost as if something is loose (almost like it could be the discs) I can’t tighten than as there are no bolts??
Apart from that is looks amazing and the motor sounds really quiet
DF07DD87-7D01-4561-A87A-9ADE4FEEE591.jpeg

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Morning all, my new steed!! All very good so far with just a few 10 min rides on the pavements.
I have noticed a creak in the both front and rear wheel; if I put the brakes on whilst stationary and rock the bike backwards forwards a creak can be heard almost as if something is loose (almost like it could be the discs) I can’t tighten than as there are no bolts??
View attachment 60358
Nice ? creaking will most likely be the spokes rubbing together my one does that too ?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

Could be loose headset or loose centerlock fixing bit.

If you carefully hold the fork crown right where it enters the headset lower and rock the bike forward and back with the front brake on, you should be able to feel if the fork is shifting.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
Could be loose headset or loose centerlock fixing bit.

If you carefully hold the fork crown right where it enters the headset lower and rock the bike forward and back with the front brake on, you should be able to feel if the fork is shifting.
Thanks Gyre, I already tried that and all right. I’m wondering whether it’s where the disc is attached to the wheel; I’m used to discs that attach with 6 bolts, this one hasn’t. Is this the centre lock you mentioned?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks Gyre, I already tried that and all right. I’m wondering whether it’s where the disc is attached to the wheel; I’m used to discs that attach with 6 bolts, this one hasn’t. Is this the centre lock you mentioned?
The creak is the centre lock discs, they end up with a slight amount of play. You can tighten the centre lock lock ring and it will go away for a while and then come back again-or at least that's what mine do.

They only do it when you rock the bike backwards (after having moved it forwards with the brakes on), and seeing as you never go backwards ona bike you don't hear it under normal use. Once the disc has rotated against the lock ring in the right direction it won't creak again, until you push the bike backwards again.

Ive just started ignoring it now, can't do anything about it.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
If it’s not six-bolt then it’s pretty much guaranteed to be centerlock. It uses a special tool. Regardless of whether this has anything to do with the creaking, you’ll want the appropriate tool at home.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
The creak is the centre lock discs, they end up with a slight amount of play. You can tighten the centre lock lock ring and it will go away for a while and then come back again-or at least that's what mine do.

They only do it when you rock the bike backwards (after having moved it forwards with the brakes on), and seeing as you never go backwards ona bike you don't hear it under normal use. Once the disc has rotated against the lock ring in the right direction it won't creak again, until you push the bike backwards again.

Ive just started ignoring it now, can't do anything about it.
Thank you mteam; that makes sense; it’s a brand new bike so I’m wondering whether I should get it looked at or just ignore it if won’t be detrimental to the bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thank you mteam; that makes sense; it’s a brand new bike so I’m wondering whether I should get it looked at or just ignore it if won’t be detrimental to the bike.
I'd check the lock rings aren't really loose, but if they're tight and it's still creaking then I'd ignore it.

The rear wheel just uses a standard shimano cassette lock ring tool to tighten it. The front is a larger diameter and needs a specific tool.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I'd check the lock rings aren't really loose, but if they're tight and it's still creaking then I'd ignore it.

The rear wheel just uses a standard shimano cassette lock ring tool to tighten it. The front is a larger diameter and needs a specific tool.
the "specific tool" is actually an external BB tool

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles