Levo Gen 3 Motor getting noisier

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
New motors at the shop and getting fitted Monday. Not great that these motor’s seem to pack in with not many miles on them, but it’s how problems are resolved. So fair play to Specialized and UK rider care for dealing with it quickly 👍

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Mine is in the shop too. Same issue. Starts quiet, but 30mins of climbing and it is wailing like a banshee. Embarrassingly loud. Downhill for a bit and it is quiet again, but sustained climbing brings on the noise again. Mode makes no difference.
I would like to know what the cause is. It started doing is in July last year, on a very hot day. It is definitely heat related. My pal's Levo was showing exact same motor temps, but no noise.
The shop submitted a warranty request to Specialized UK on 22 May. No news yet. I was hoping to go out on it next weekend (8-9 June). Fingers crossed....

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mine is in the shop too. Same issue. Starts quiet, but 30mins of climbing and it is wailing like a banshee. Embarrassingly loud. Downhill for a bit and it is quiet again, but sustained climbing brings on the noise again. Mode makes no difference.
I would like to know what the cause is. It started doing is in July last year, on a very hot day. It is definitely heat related. My pal's Levo was showing exact same motor temps, but no noise.
The shop submitted a warranty request to Specialized UK on 22 May. No news yet. I was hoping to go out on it next weekend (8-9 June). Fingers crossed....
When my last motor ( number 3 ) started wailing I recorded a video and sent it to dealer where I bought it. He said to me Specialized won't change it out for a noise but it's logged so just keep an eye on it . I got about another 3 weeks before it went then removed the motor and sent it to shop and they sent me a replacement.

ReikoW

Jan 28, 2019
Germany
Hi,
my motor became very,very noise at higher temps.
it's a gen2, the 2nd motor, 13Tkm, belt replacement after 12Tkm.
I opened the motor and found the bigger wheel tilts (see video). so it seems there is something wrong with the bearing inside. I cannot open the inner part as it requires special tools.
it's already out of warranty, so I see no other chance or let my say after 13Tkm I don't want to invest more on the old motor, so I bought a new one 2.2 version built in April'24...let's see.
there is one more thing I figured out...the belt might become "loose", means there is a screw with 0.2Nm of torque, but after while it might be that this screw needs to be adjusted again, but it's difficult as it's secured by locktide (and covered by a label). if someone wants to try, you can find it here...see picture

Screenshot_20240606_215505_Photos.jpg

Attachments

• 20240601_122007~2.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
I collected mine back from the shop today. New motor under warranty. £50 labour for removal/refitting. I haven't had a chance to ride yet. I hope it is quiet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles