Monarch to coil

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Hi fellow levo riders,
I’m riding a levo comp allu now for 6 weeks and really really happy with it except for 1 part.
The monarch is acting up. Looses air all the time, i get it working for 1 ride but have to pressure it before every ride.
My lbs is really helpfull and is looking in to it but i’m not convinced if it will work for me.
Now I love the coil versions in the modded section.
Can someone help me out what version (size) i need?
I understand that the coil itself is rider dependent
I’m thinking about the Öhlins ttx.
Maybe there are also good other brands that work?
Thx in advance

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Very impressed with the rock shock coil on my commencal , I’ve seen a few about at good prices ,I think chain reaction had some . I would imagine an Öhlins from a dealer being way overpriced . Your shock should be an easy fix though

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Very impressed with the rock shock coil on my commencal , I’ve seen a few about at good prices ,I think chain reaction had some . I would imagine an Öhlins from a dealer being way overpriced . Your shock should be an easy fix though
Yes, the price is :eek: so a good alternative would be great :giggle:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have a fox van on mine is really good

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The key thing here is.....what is your budget?

Depending on what it is will depend on what options you have.

Also, what is your weight fully kitted up, including pack, if you wear one.

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
The key thing here is.....what is your budget?

Depending on what it is will depend on what options you have.

Also, what is your weight fully kitted up, including pack, if you wear one.

Budget is between 600 and 800€.
Total weight around 98kg
Budget is a bit tight for a coil maybe?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My fox was just under 400 quid including the bike yoke

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Tf tuned are the guys to talk to. With the ohlins you dont need the bike yoke cos the stump jumper one fits but its still 800 quid or so

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Oh and with the fox you can get up to 800lb spring. I am 107kgs and with the 700lb spring i get 30% sag with one turn of preload. Springs are about 40 quid which is half the price of the ohlins.
Ohlins is a fine shock and so it should be at their price

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Thx for the info (y)
The fox sounds really interesting :D
I will send tf tuned a mail.
Already excited ;)

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Or..... you could do what I did and get 165mm of rear travel.

Buy a 190mm eye to eye Cane Creek DB In Line coil shock £330 or a Cane Creek DB coil shock £515 with the Specialized shock mount fitting from TF tuned and ask them to customise the length of the shock shaft to 55mm and custom tune it exactly the same as they did to my Cane Creek DB coil shock. They will also tune the shock to your weight and riding style.

My shock needed a service, it needed the unique Specialized rear shock mount, it needed a 190mm shock body (mine was a 200mm) it needed a new spring as the bike I took it off only required a 400lb spring.

As you are buying a brand new shock from them they won’t have to do all the above extra custom work they did on my shock. They will need to install an offset bush, they may need to change the shock shaft and may need to skim 1mm off the connection point of the shock with their in house lathe.

I am not 100% sure if they can customise the cheaper shock mentioned above. Mine was the more expensive one. If they can do it on the cheaper DB in-line coil then you should get the shock and all the custom work done and delivered for under £500.

I have had a number of shocks customised by these guys and have always been extremely happy with their work.

Remember, Cane Creek coil shocks has ‘Öhlins technology inside’

73EB9026-773B-4796-8883-E6064D682E0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Or..... you could do what I did and get 165mm of rear travel.

Buy a 190mm eye to eye Cane Creek DB In Line coil shock £330 or a Cane Creek DB coil shock £515 with the specialized shock fitting from TF tuned and ask them to customise the length of the shock shaft to 55mm and custom tune it exactly the same as they did to my Cane Creek DB coil shock. They will also tune the shock to your weight and riding style.

My shock needed a service, it needed the unique Specialized rear shock mount, it needed a 190mm shock body (mine was a 200mm) it needed a new spring as the bike I took it off only required a 400lb spring.

As you are buying a brand new shock from them they won’t have to do all the above extra custom work they did on my shock. They may need to change the shock shaft and may use their in house lathe to skim some length off.

I am not 100% sure if they can customise the cheaper shock mentioned above. Mine was the more expensive one. If they can do it on the cheaper DB in-line coil then you should get the shock and all the custom work done and delivered for under £500.

I have had a number of shocks customised by these guys and have always been extremely happy with their work.

Remember, Cane Creek coil shocks has ‘Öhlins technology inside’

View attachment 3055

Hey Kiwi, did you noticed anny downside to the more travel?
It changes the geometry a fair bit, no?
The double barrel looks sweet :p
I wait for a responds on my first mail and keep in mind your tip (y)

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hey Kiwi, did you noticed anny downside to the more travel?
It changes the geometry a fair bit, no?
The double barrel looks sweet :p
I wait for a responds on my first mail and keep in mind your tip (y)

Hey @Witte300, Me personally, no, I did not notice any downside to having more travel. It just feels plush, plush, plush and is set at around 33 to 35% sag.

Regarding geo, No, it does not change the geometry very much at all because the TF Tuned guys did their magic by shortening the shock body and lengthening the shock shaft of the coil shock so the connection points of each shock is virtually the same length.

The old air shock has a stroke length of 45mm with a 'front eye to rear shock mount connection point' length of 185mm. The customized DB Coil has a stroke length 55mm with a 'front eye to rear shock mount connection point' length of 187mm. The coil shock naturally sags about 1mm to 2mm under the weight of the actual ebike without anyone sitting on it so the measurement on my coil shock is 186mm so a 1mm difference in total length from the original air shock.

I am running a 150-180mm dual position air RS Lyrik on the front. This obviously slackens the head angle and is great for the downhill sections but I also have no problems climbing very steep hills even when it is set to 180mm.

003.PNG
005.png

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I know you are measuring like for like but the standard measurement on a spesh shock is from centre of top eye to end of bottom mount which should be 190mm this confused me when looking for a new shock until Tf tuned enlightened me
Your way of measuring is fine if you are going from spesh mount shock to another spesh mount but if you are going to another shock with traditionnal eye to eye measurement its not so accurate

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I know you are measuring like for like but the standard measurement on a spesh shock is from centre of top eye to end of bottom mount which should be 190mm this confused me when looking for a new shock until Tf tuned enlightened me
Your way of measuring is fine if you are going from spesh mount shock to another spesh mount but if you are going to another shock with traditionnal eye to eye measurement its not so accurate

You are 100% correct Dave ?

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Update:
My cane creek db il is ordered and i expect it to arrive next Wednesday.
Got so excited by looking into coils I did some digging related to fork coil conversion.
The revelation on my comp is very stiff if I tune it to 25% sag, go i lower in pressure i bottom it out more often.
So, I ordered the push coil conversion for the pike and must say, what a difference!!!
I have now 160mm fully useable :p
Can’t wait for the shock to arrive :love:

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Me Happy, the shock came in early and have it installed.
To bad I have 2 busy days ahaid so testing and tweaking will be for the end of this week.
Already really happy with the looks :p
52C3FCE7-8372-4376-B9E1-B3B06BA5A4BF.jpeg 2E76625B-1A2B-4153-B5D3-6244FCBC68CE.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles