Mahle SL 1.1 to SL 1.2 - What's Possible and What's Different ?

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
Any suggestions for cranks on the 1.2 motor? I was thrilled when I read they're using DUB cranks - now, that I understand, that you need E-Bike DUB cranks, I'm not anymore. Why on earth are all SRAM E-Bike DUB cranks only ISIS compatible? That's crazy, they don't use their own standard on these....
Have a look at this thread; Creo 2 Carbon Cranks

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Wonder if these will fit? Unite co cranks

1000049499.png

Dec 14, 2022
Fremont, CA
@Zimmerframe do you know if any direct mount chainrings are compatible with the new 1.2 system? I would like to get rid of the separate spider and chainring and go for any one-piece direct mount type if possible, like the e*thirteen helix race e*spec chainring. Cant seem to find any information.

FAYR

Nov 24, 2022
Spain
A few responses here have touched on the updated skid plate/rock guard/motor cover specific to the new 1.2 motor.
I too hacked a new Kenevo SL 2 build from the ground up and besides the pain in getting the DUB cranks, I'm now just stuck with the new rock guard part. I was able to hack the old KSL gen 1 rock guard to fit.

Does anyone have a source for the part below (I've tried the obvious google search)? Specialized said it's going to be in their warehouse sometime this year but who knows when.
S236800001ELE COVER, KENEVO SL, MOTOR ROCK GUARD KIT, FOR M20 MOTOR

Any input would be rad!
Specialized S236800001 Kenevo SL Motor Rock Guard Kit for M20 Motor If your still looking for one

FAYR

Nov 24, 2022
Spain
KIds Levo SL is reduced to under £1700 in UK at various shops (JE James, Balfe's), €2400 in Spain (where I am) and €2000 in Italy. I bought a S Works framset set for €2800 and thinking of doing the motor switch and selling the Kids bike off cheap...

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
KIds Levo SL is reduced to under £1700 in UK at various shops (JE James, Balfe's), €2400 in Spain (where I am) and €2000 in Italy. I bought a S Works framset set for €2800 and thinking of doing the motor switch and selling the Kids bike off cheap...

Agree. Is very tempting. Holding off in case I decide to buy a new ff this year

crawfishoo

Feb 1, 2024
Indiana
I have a puzzling question for everyone. I have done the motor swap between SL 1.1 to 1.2 on my 2020 Gen 1 Levo SL. Have swapped motor, battery, and TCU between bikes. Everything works fine but I'm seeing some strange behavior from the 1.2 Mastermind TCU. Specifically the speed cutoff is occurring at 15 MPH... both on the display and independent GPS. I dont know how this is happening, as I have gone from a 24" to 29" wheel, and have also added a SPEEDi device to the rear speed magnet. Theoretically the TCU should read 15 MPH when the bike is actually going ~27 MPH, if its truly using the wheel speed sensor. I am completely stumped what is going on. I don't believe the Mastermind TCU has any type of GPS speed sensor built it. I have never ridden the bike with the specialized app recording ride information. So I have no idea what is going on with the TCU that it magically has corrected for wheel size and speed sensor changes.... it literally has a mind of its own!! Any thoughts how the display would know or show 15 mph when my GPS says actual speed is 15 mph?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you tried it without the speedi ?

If you average out at 1890 to 2298 circumference (guessing at tyre sizes) then you should be going about 22% faster than showing.

The bike can't have been limited to 12mph, otherwise it would still stop at a displayed 12 mph..

crawfishoo

Feb 1, 2024
Indiana
Figured it out! It was a simple issue, just confusing initially. I got a new Mastermind TCU on warranty before doing the swap, and it was programmed to the slower 10 mph cutoff. Also the display was set to kmh vs mph.

The combination of the larger 29" wheel + Speedi resulted in almost a perfect match of the display showing "15" when my Garmin showed 14.8 mph, simultaneously the motor was cutting off due to the 10 mph limit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles