Looking for an XC bike is Levo overkill

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Looking for an XC bike to do 50+mile gravel/forrest tracks with lots of uphill is Levo overkill, saw the Sworks 2023 version for £6499 and can get for £3000 through work, showing £12k original price.

The frame is Aluminium rather than Carbon and its 22kg, but think not bad for ebike, the suspension is 150mm front and rear not sure if will zap effort for non technical riding, or with the large 700 battery just ask for more assist.

Dont see many 120mm dual sus xc with large batteries seem to run 3/400 with option extender, ie BMC

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
you wont notice pedal bob with an ebike as much. The levo can def do XC just fine. Have you considered the 15mph limiter? If you are above that speed usually then you might find an ebike a bit annoying...

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah need more background. Fit person wanting a just bit more assist for long fitness/explorative rides? That would make light ebike in order. Less fit person, or a heavy person like me :) ? Well then a Levo or other longer travel full power bike would be best. I personally don't like mullets and got rid of my Levo because of it. And frankly for long distance/efficiency full 29er is the better option. I also get much better range with my Rocky Mountain than I did the Levo, because the way the assist works is very efficient, makes you work for it a bit more.

There's not a lot of short travel options frankly because it's kind of a waste. With the assist we don't need light tires, short travel lighter suspension, kinematics that trade effective suspension for anti-squat. We get to have our cake and eat it too. Whole point of an ebike for me really.

If really pushing the limits on range the lighter bikes do pedal with a dead battery much better. But the batteries tend to run out much sooner, so they kind of have to :)

Last edited:

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
you wont notice pedal bob with an ebike as much. The levo can def do XC just fine. Have you considered the 15mph limiter? If you are above that speed usually then you might find an ebike a bit annoying...
I am fat and slow so not too much of an issue, downhill I’m fast 😀, help on hills is what looking for. Cycled round Spanish for day with e-bike hardtail and loved it and was lots of uphill.
Looked at few routes near me and the hills at epic, nature of living in Scotland.
Realistically with my weight and hills need lots of help and battery.

Bart1

Apr 21, 2023
Wales
I was in a similar position with my Giant Reign, great at down hill etc but overkill for mixed surface riding and XC. Was also after a bigger battery for the Reign so ended up with a Giant Trance e+2 with 750 battery for £3k
Have fitted slightly thinner less aggressive tyres and some higher Renthal Bars and it flies. Will be attacking the Greater Ridgeway Trail next week, it should be good fun.

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Yeah need more background. Fit person wanting a just bit more assist for long fitness/explorative rides? That would make light ebike in order. Less fit person, or a heavy person like me :) ? Well then a Levo or other longer travel full power bike would be best. I personally don't like mullets and got rid of my Levo because of it. And frankly for long distance/efficiency full 29er is the better option. I also get much better range with my Rocky Mountain than I did the Levo, because the way the assist works is very efficient, makes you work for it a bit more.

There's not a lot of short travel options frankly because it's kind of a waste. With the assist we don't need light tires, short travel lighter suspension, kinematics that trade effective suspension for anti-squat. We get to have our cake and eat it too. Whole point of an ebike for me really.

If really pushing the limits on range the lighter bikes do pedal with a dead battery much better. But the batteries tend to run out much sooner, so they kind of have to :)
Yeah big fat person checking in, currently using gravel bike and do short 20mile runs with it. But want longer rides with more hills and not be constrained by fitness. Hopefully fitness wil grow a bit too.
Did wonder about mullet setup, will investigate som full 29ers saw Santa Cruz have new one, love the look of it and avocado colour 😀 has large battery and full 29 similar suspension to Levo.

Yeah current bike steel so ok with some weight, will keep searching for best match.

Reactions: Zed

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
I was in a similar position with my Giant Reign, great at down hill etc but overkill for mixed surface riding and XC. Was also after a bigger battery for the Reign so ended up with a Giant Trance e+2 with 750 battery for £3k
Have fitted slightly thinner less aggressive tyres and some higher Renthal Bars and it flies. Will be attacking the Greater Ridgeway Trail next week, it should be good fun.
Interesting will take a look sounds like good fit and some good adjustments for less aggressive riding

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Did wonder about mullet setup, will investigate som full 29ers saw Santa Cruz have new one, love the look of it and avocado colour 😀
Lotsa people love mullets... Lotsa high end bikes went full non-convertible mullet... I didn't take to it though, feels like the rear is hanging up to me.

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Lotsa people love mullets... Lotsa high end bikes went full non-convertible mullet... I didn't take to it though, feels like the rear is hanging up to me.
Think Levo sworks might be convertible but not sure

DanDeride

Sep 22, 2023
Bellingham, WA
I love my Turbo Levo on easy singletrack too. It's a pretty agile bike! Nice to have the full power sometimes & the big battery for the occasional epic... However I agree an SL bike may be a better option for you. There are a few models out now that allow full power (some just for bursts) but have smaller batteries & are lower weight. I rode the Cannondale Moterra SL & it was pretty amazing! Just wish it came with a booster battery option...

robguide

Nov 20, 2022
Wales
Looking for an XC bike to do 50+mile gravel/forrest tracks with lots of uphill is Levo overkill, saw the Sworks 2023 version for £6499 and can get for £3000 through work, showing £12k original price.

The frame is Aluminium rather than Carbon and its 22kg, but think not bad for ebike, the suspension is 150mm front and rear not sure if will zap effort for non technical riding, or with the large 700 battery just ask for more assist.

Dont see many 120mm dual sus xc with large batteries seem to run 3/400 with option extender, ie BMC
S-works are Carbon ?

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
S-works are Carbon ?
Yeah that’s what I thought this one was labelled aluminium Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo Electric Mountain Bike

Now out of stock, maybe mistake on their oart

Now considering new rise 2025, as 630w battery but can take couple of range extenders with you, to do longer rides up to 50/60miles

The Trek 9.8 and wild seem to have more Nm 85 vs 60 but rise has 85 on demand, so figured might be good enough, but I’m 120+kg not sure if it’ll struggle on hills.

The Santa Cruz heckler is nice but expensive, battery on smaller size can’t see that you can extend either.

Wild and trek don’t seem to allow for extenders though technically might be possible

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I love XC and I use my Trek Fuel EXe for that because I need the assist on hills, but I find the geometry of 150mm or longer full suspension e-MTB overkill for XC. Light XC and gravel trails are definitely more enjoyable on my regular, full suspension (poppy, nimble, feels like you’re “dancing” on the trails), but my EXe allows me to do many more trails than on my regular bike. So I wouldn't trade it for anything.

In the e-MTB world currently, you can’t have both light and long battery life.

There’s really only two e-MTBs that lean towards XC. The BMC 4-stroke AMP you mentioned and the Scott Lumen.

Both are powered by the TQ system and do not have big enough battery for what you want. I ride mostly Eco EDIT Eco & Mid mode on my Trek and don’t generally ride more than a couple of hours, so I never come close to having battery anxiety… but if you need a lot of assist, for sure the battery will drain much faster.

It sounds like battery is the most important thing for you. Then, yes, you should go full power and the Levo sounds like a great choice.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Have a good hard look at the Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay. I love mine dearly, I also think it's the best motor.

FWIW, I've had in order of recentness:

Turbo Levo 2023 Alloy Comp
Trek Rail XTR (Bosch Smart System)
Trek Fuel EXE XT (TQ)
Orbea Wild previous gen - Bosch CX
Commencal Meta Power E8000
2018 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon

Feel like I've forgotten one. Anyway, that doesn't mean anyone else should think the Dyname is the best of all those motors, but I do. Best riding bike too feel/geo wise out of all those, for me. The Orbea was close, but that previous gen was too short.

The Bosch is very close. But it clatters horribly when not pedaling - if it didn't I think it'd be a draw as it does have more refinement than the Dyname. Power is a little less on the Bosch. Aesthetic better on the Bosch. App support better on the Bosch, non-existent on the Dyname.

The one caveat there with the Dyname I think if you want to get a trickle of power from the motor and do most of the work yourself, then it's not very refined with the delivery. Bosch does that a lot better. Not how I ride though.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Have you thought of any of the light weight Ebikes with a range extender?

I don't think anyone makes an Electric XC bike as the benefit of an XC bike is that it climbs well due to light weight and short travel suspension. A motor kind of removes the restriction for climbing so you can have longer travel and the weight isn't as much of an issue. You can get a few good trail bikes though that aren't a heavy as the full powered bikes and feel a bit more playful.
Here's a few good options

Scott Lumen
Specialized Levo SL
Trek Fuel EXe
Orbea Rise
Focus JAM2 SL
Haibike Lyke CF
Santa Cruz Heckler SL
Pivot Shuttle SL
SIMPLON Rapcon PMAX TQ

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
He did say fat and slow (his words ;) ) and likes downhill. Also epic hills in Scotland. I'm gonna suggest low powered/capacity bikes far from ideal.
He is riding a gravel bike and only fire trails. It depends on what downhill means. Downhill as in a downhill race type course or downhill, down a fire trails that he rides on a gravel bike.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

E-bike range is a function of the amount of climbing, rider effort, power level, rider weight and distance (in no particular order).

Is this the distance/climb you do already on a non e-bike? If so then it should be possible on most e-bikes, if not then you need as much battery as you can get.

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Think Levo sworks might be convertible but not sure
I love XC and I use my Trek Fuel EXe for that because I need the assist on hills, but I find the geometry of 150mm or longer full suspension e-MTB overkill for XC. Light XC and gravel trails are definitely more enjoyable on my regular, full suspension (poppy, nimble, feels like you’re “dancing” on the trails), but my EXe allows me to do many more trails than on my regular bike. So I wouldn't trade it for anything.

In the e-MTB world currently, you can’t have both light and long battery life.

There’s really only two e-MTBs that lean towards XC. The BMC 4-stroke AMP you mentioned and the Scott Lumen.

Both are powered by the TQ system and do not have big enough battery for what you want. I ride mostly Eco EDIT Eco & Mid mode on my Trek and don’t generally ride more than a couple of hours, so I never come close to having battery anxiety… but if you need a lot of assist, for sure the battery will drain much faster.

It sounds like battery is the most important thing for you. Then, yes, you should go full power and the Levo sounds like a great choice.
Yeah would like something could take out all day and do 50/60 miles up and down hills on not too technical single track through Forrest’s down in Galloway is the plan.

At moment keep chain to lock up bike in frame bag be tempted to take a spare battery so no range anxiety, saw few people take full 750w battery in their bag.

Guess advantage of smaller lighter bikes like fuel is even if battery runs out you can power up and down hills yourself and not much heavier than standard bike.

The rise seems to fit in between reasonable heavy but 630 battery with range extender optionally, this is what I’m leaning towards.

Thanks for thoughts definitely giving me more to think about

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
E-bike range is a function of the amount of climbing, rider effort, power level, rider weight and distance (in no particular order).

Is this the distance/climb you do already on a non e-bike? If so then it should be possible on most e-bikes, if not then you need as much battery as you can get.
Yeah can do 40/50 miles on my gravel but fairly flat would like to incorporate some hills in there and Scotland seems to be full of them :) Think hills is where want most help so guess torque is important in that regard and battery

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
He is riding a gravel bike and only fire trails. It depends on what downhill means. Downhill as in a downhill race type course or downhill, down a fire trails that he rides on a gravel bike.
Yeah be non technical downhill and nothing extreme like Nevis range or anything

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Have you thought of any of the light weight Ebikes with a range extender?

I don't think anyone makes an Electric XC bike as the benefit of an XC bike is that it climbs well due to light weight and short travel suspension. A motor kind of removes the restriction for climbing so you can have longer travel and the weight isn't as much of an issue. You can get a few good trail bikes though that aren't a heavy as the full powered bikes and feel a bit more playful.
Here's a few good options

Scott Lumen
Specialized Levo SL
Trek Fuel EXe
Orbea Rise
Focus JAM2 SL
Haibike Lyke CF
Santa Cruz Heckler SL
Pivot Shuttle SL
SIMPLON Rapcon PMAX TQ
Yeah suppose light bikes give you more battery options especially if have 2 range extenders could be up at 1000w will take a look at those with higher torque will google ones you’ve suggested thanks

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Ha
Have a good hard look at the Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay. I love mine dearly, I also think it's the best motor.

FWIW, I've had in order of recentness:

Turbo Levo 2023 Alloy Comp
Trek Rail XTR (Bosch Smart System)
Trek Fuel EXE XT (TQ)
Orbea Wild previous gen - Bosch CX
Commencal Meta Power E8000
2018 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon

Feel like I've forgotten one. Anyway, that doesn't mean anyone else should think the Dyname is the best of all those motors, but I do. Best riding bike too feel/geo wise out of all those, for me. The Orbea was close, but that previous gen was too short.

The Bosch is very close. But it clatters horribly when not pedaling - if it didn't I think it'd be a draw as it does have more refinement than the Dyname. Power is a little less on the Bosch. Aesthetic better on the Bosch. App support better on the Bosch, non-existent on the Dyname.

The one caveat there with the Dyname I think if you want to get a trickle of power from the motor and do most of the work yourself, then it's not very refined with the delivery. Bosch does that a lot better. Not how I ride though.
Thanks will take a gander, Wild currently in running alongside rise, yeah would like assist rather than doing it all :)

jrvide

Jul 15, 2024
Portugal
Have you seen the Megamo Native?

It's a full carbon frame 150mm travel with a TQ motor and range extender included.
The manufacturer states is just above 15kg, and they are on sale.

1724681988842.png

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Yeah suppose light bikes give you more battery options especially if have 2 range extenders could be up at 1000w will take a look at those with higher torque will google ones you’ve suggested thanks

Torque is more of a big deal when you are doing steep technical climbs, pretty much any ebike will have enough torque for fire roads.

Tedster209

Aug 21, 2024
Uk
Torque is more of a big deal when you are doing steep technical climbs, pretty much any ebike will have enough torque for fire roads.
Ah ok thought being in Scotland with wet muddy trails and not a small amount weight would need more torque if not will discount from the criteria

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Ah ok thought being in Scotland with wet muddy trails and not a small amount weight would need more torque if not will discount from the criteria
Many of us highly value torque :)

And yes it matters more the heavier you are.

As Dax said "pretty much any ebike will have enough torque for fire roads" is true, but more is better, there is a big difference in the more powerful motors. Enough is never enough. The less powerful bikes I've had have been underwhelming (Fuel ExE, E8000, to a lesser extent the Levo).

You could drive a Corolla around the Nurburgring. There are more interesting vehicles to do that with though.

Seems to me the torquier motors get better range generally too. Which makes sense, I burn more power getting the support I want from the weaker motors.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Depends what you’re riding.

I generally notice the lack of torque on my SL when trying to ride up stuff I wouldn’t attempt to ride up on a mtb. It’s fine on fire roads, trail center climbs etc.

The full fat comes into its own when you’re playing the ‘what can I ride up’ game. E-bikes open up a whole lot of climbing that was more or less impossible on a normal mtb.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles