Looking for a good jacket/coat

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I bought an Endura MT500 Waterproof Jacket Black XXL last year. Absolutely perfect. Very breathable, HUGE zipped side openings, which is great for me as I sweat pretty readily. Water protection is pretty good too, not that I ride when it's tipping it down.

Don't wear it for warmth (other than wind protection), though. I pair this with a Gore vest underneath.

Re sizing, I'm astonished I can even do it up if I look at the official sizing. Most of the quality manufacturers only seem to cater to whippets (Endura included). At over 6'2" and with a bit of midlife spread, it's REALLY, REALLY difficult to find quality gear that fits.

1601024865913.png

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
I bought an Endura MT500 Waterproof Jacket Black XXL last year. Absolutely perfect. Very breathable, HUGE zipped side openings, which is great for me as I sweat pretty readily. Water protection is pretty good too, not that I ride when it's tipping it down.

Don't wear it for warmth (other than wind protection), though. I pair this with a Gore vest underneath.

Re sizing, I'm astonished I can even do it up if I look at the official sizing. Most of the quality manufacturers only seem to cater to whippets (Endura included). At over 6'2" and with a bit of midlife spread, it's REALLY, REALLY difficult to find quality gear that fits.

View attachment 40885
Yes ive looked at them but carnt find any black xxl anyware same goes for most coats ??‍♂️

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I bought the same after trying the Leatt dbx, that's a great jacket and seems tougher than the mt 500 but sizing came up small.
I was disappointed to find the endura is made in China but I suppose most stuff is nowdays.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Tbh I rekon a 75d waterproof jacket with pit vents would suffice without blowing £220 on a crisp packet waiting to be ripped .
This is what I was gonna do but got sick o looking for a L
Plenty of XL's etc in and around £140 ish

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Yes ive looked at them but carnt find any black xxl anyware same goes for most coats ??‍♂️
Endura just launched the new seasons range and have stock of the MT500 waterproof jackets in all sizes again.
You can also go through topcashback for another 8.25% cashback

I've been wearing an old Jack Wolfskin troposphere jacket, but tempted to try the mt500 with some baselayers instead.

Can anyone tell me if the hood on the MT500 jacket can be comfortably used without a helmet when not riding, or is it just huge?

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
By the way, apparently you should be careful washing these technical fabrics. Fabric conditioner kills them. Does something funny with the pores and you might as well throw the jacket away afterwards.

I haven't needed to wash mine yet (other than a quick hose down) and made a note of this article for when I do: How to rejuvenate your waterproof cycling gear
I agree about not using fabric conditioner, just make sure the dispensing tray doesn't have any left over from the last time you washed your frillies. Also, unless the label specifically allows detergent, then don't use that either. I either use specific waterproof fabric cleaner or just water on the same spin cycle as usual 30deg max. If you can buy non detergent soap then you can use that.

Keeping the fabric clean is a key part of maintaining the DWR coating that allows it to function either as a waterproof and/or breathable fabric. I have discovered that even well maintained DWR coated fabrics will stop working eventually. I have a favourite windproof and DWR coated top that is not only highly breathable but waterproof for several hours except under hard driven rain. It no longer is, even straight after a wash and re-proof. Not sure exactly how old it is, but ten years give or take a year. It has had a very tough life and when I look closely at it, it has a lot of small holes everywhere. Those bramble attacks add up, and now light rain goes straight through it. New jacket time!

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Endura just launched the new seasons range and have stock of the MT500 waterproof jackets in all sizes again.

Can anyone tell me if the hood on the MT500 jacket can be comfortably used without a helmet when not riding, or is it just huge?

The hood is HUGE, but it can be controlled to a degree via a pair of drawstrings.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
All good advice above - also look at recent thread on Winter Clothing. Being a mountain guide I have used many different types of jacket in different fabrics over the last forty years. Gortex is great when new but whatever you do the DWR coating comes off eventually and the re-proofing solutions never last that long either. So, I keep my best Goretex jackets for when it is really wet and/or I'm going to have to be out a long time. For the rest, I use jackets that cost a 1/3 of the price - they will get a bit sweaty but as long as one keeps warm that does not matter if it's just a couple of hours - how long does your battery last anyway?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't bother with a hood. I wear a buff or similar given away free in bike magazines. I cinch it up around my neck and it keeps the rain out.
If the problem is cold wind, than I have a skull cap for that. Nothing worse than brain freeze.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
The Oneal Tsunami jacket is pretty good, big pit zips, and very breathable. Seems to handle the rain pretty well too...

sophiamullins

Mar 8, 2021
pakistan
All good advice above - also look at recent thread on Winter Clothing. Being a mountain guide I have used many different types of jacket in different fabrics over the last forty years. Gortex is great when new but whatever you do the DWR coating comes off eventually and the re-proofing solutions never last that long either. So, I keep my best Goretex jackets that is like a patched jacket for when it is really wet and/or I'm going to have to be out a long time. For the rest, I use jackets that cost a 1/3 of the price - they will get a bit sweaty but as long as one keeps warm that does not matter if it's just a couple of hours - how long does your battery last anyway?
I wanna ask that this jacket could be found in XXL size? Please tell.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles