Levo SL Gen 1 Levo or Sl

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
First e-bike for me and I am set on a Spesh. I have ridden both and like both, but most of my riding is with clockwork riders and when I am riding 2-3 times a week I'm not unfit, but I do a heavy manual job and am often too knackered to ride. I'm torn between the Sl with its just enough power to get me off my ass and ride, and the Levo but I'm not convinced I need all that power. Any feedback is most welcome!

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Exactly the same here. When I’m on it I’m up with the racing snakes in their 30s and 40s (I’m 58) but the last few years I’ve noticed I’m the one at the back on climbs and not enjoying it.
like you I have a physical job and I’ve decided on an ebike to help get the enjoyment back. I’ve tried both a Full power Levo and the SL, done about 60 miles on each and still undecided. One day I’m all for an SL and on the verge of going in to shop and handing over the cash, next day I’m thinking if I had a full power e bike I’d could go exploring more hills than I would on the SL. I’m put off a Brose motor by all the reliability issues so I’m now considering a Whyte E 150 and have arranged a demo ride as soon as they can get one down.
A big plus for me with the SL was how easy it is to pick up. I came across a large fallen tree on one of my rides and it was easy to lift the SL over, a full fat Levo or other would have been a lot harder especially as I’ve got shoulder injuries. I was very impressed also how fast I could spin the cranks and still have good power from the motor. At this moment in time I’m back on the SL side. Tomorrow might be different.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Levo if
* you're a bigger guy
* you think you'll start to ride with other emtbs
* the idea of full burn rides solo or with other emtbs appeals.
* you like going silly fast and just booting it abut the place
* you worry about range (pointless getting an SL and permanently adding a range extender IMO).

Thank of the Levo as an ebike and the SL as a Stumpjumper that can give you a push.

Defo SL if you only intend to ride with your bio buddies, the full fat is pointless then.

I appreciate the dilemma. I have a Levo but if I was buying today it would be a tough choice.

Oh and the SL is hands down sexier.

Don't buy an SL thinking you'll get out of shape on a Levo. If you boot a Levo it's hard work.

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
I bought the SL because on my demo of a full fat I thought it was over kill. I rode in Eco the whole time and wished it was even less. I like the option to get a boost after a while to do another lap where I normally would give up. I weight 175lbs and the SL has plenty of power in boost to pull me up when I’m tired. But I love how it rides compared to the Levo. I also love that I can ride with it off because it doesn’t have the drag of the belt. I’ve actually ridden with it off for a while and loved it. also, I’m still waiting for spring to do my normal climbs, but I’ve done about 600 feet of climbing in one area where the snow melted (not much I know) but it that hour of riding and climbing I only used 10% batter with an avg support of 30% according to the app.
So my opinion is this is the bike I’ve been waiting for.

Last edited:

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
I agree! you can still get a good workout on a Levo. That’s one think I really like about the mission Control app. You can have as hard or as easy a ride as takes your fancy On a Levo. The SL will be more of a workout every ride but you can still have a much easier ride than an un powered Mtb. I managed 26miles and over 2900ft climbing and still had 33% battery (no range extender) and my legs were up for more, my fitter riding buddies were all shot by 20 miles and went home.

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi

It's a tricky one. I bought a Levo Turbo in January, then a week later the SL came out!!
Initially I had buyers remorse... but reading between the lines of all the reviews on here I decided the Levo is the better bike for me. I'm 50 and most of the people I'll be riding with are of a similar age and all have e bikes. Yesterday I went for my second proper big ride in the Peak District with a pal and I while it was a great ride I think I would have found it difficult in some of the sections without the extra power that the Levo offers. However I haven't actually ridden a SL so how do I really know, but I don't think the SL is marketed really for a rider such as me.

I would love the lighter bike and as mentioned above the SL looks great, but the Levo is really good. Either way I'm sure you'll love whichever you get.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I had decided to quit thinking about this and just enjoy my 6 month old Levo.

But now I'm back again to wanting an SL.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its important to remember there's more to EMTB's than just replicating your riding on a normal MTB but with a bit of help. Fundamentally that's what they do, but they also open up a lot more terrain and riding that you previously would have ridden, and riding oportunities you may not have had before.

The best example I can think of in my circumstances (I have been riding EMTB's for just over 2 years, and have tried most of the major brands and bike out there) is how having an EMTB has completely changed my local riding.

I live in the Reigate area, and prior to getting an EMTB, I would nearly always drive over to Peaslake etc for most of my riding - the riding local to me is not technical, and mostly XC, but there are some good local trails, just not in any way on any sort of connected route for a normal MTB ride.

Having the EMTB has allowed me to get out and explore my local area, find and connect together local trails that you could never put into one ride on a normal bike, and given me the ability to put together some super fun 10 mile one hour blasts right out my front door, which wouldn't be possible on a normal bike simply due to the fact that a lot of it is looping up and down the local hill, which whilst not long is steep. If you take Boxhill for example, there are a fair few decent trails there if you know where to look, but you have to winch yourself back up the Zig Zag or the track next to it to link them together.

When I look a bike like the SL, my view on it is that its a bike that would allow me to get more loops in of the rides I do when in Peaslake, and riding trail centres etc, but for my local riding it wouldn't replace my normal EMTB.

I am 40, and have ridden MTB since I was 9 years old - I have never ridden for fitness, and fitness gained is just a side effect of riding a lot I just love riding bikes, getting to the top of a hill has always just been a necessary evil to enjoy the ride back down.

A full fat EMTB has made going uphill on local routes never designed to bike up possible, and fun, and made a lot of hidden possibilities and trails all of a sudden viable, and also doable within a timeframe that won't result in a divorce!

I guess what I am getting it is that there's a lot more to EMTB'ing than just a bit of assistance.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
First e-bike for me and I am set on a Spesh. I have ridden both and like both, but most of my riding is with clockwork riders and when I am riding 2-3 times a week I'm not unfit, but I do a heavy manual job and am often too knackered to ride. I'm torn between the Sl with its just enough power to get me off my ass and ride, and the Levo but I'm not convinced I need all that power. Any feedback is most welcome!
You actually answered yourself...so SL it would be.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
it depends on how long your rides are as well. I have a 19 levo, and even after swapping out my 700wh battery with another owners 500wh, i only use at most 2 bars over a 2 hour ride in my local trails going at FULL TURBO speeds

I dont need the extra power of the turbo or the huge ass battery, will be selling my Levo for a SL

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles