Rail (625Wh) Lets talk Rear Mudguards

DTFab

Aug 31, 2024
Bay Area
Hi Everyone,
First time poster here, but I've been around for a while. I actually created the mudguard on Shapeways that I've seen a lot of people post up. Since Shapeways recently closed their doors, I'm currently shopping for a new printer, which is why I figured I'd revamp the previous design and try to come out with something a little more organic looking as well as release all of the newer model Rail guards.
The main reason for this post is I wanted to ask you all, what did you like and what did you not like with regards to the previous design? Or if you don't have one, what is something you wished for?
I will be removing the Trek logo on the future design. Wish I could keep it, but I don't want to get into a copyright war with Trek.

Anyways, I'll post up progress and a HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that has supported me. It's been amazing running into these things on the Trails. Unfortunately I gave my last one away so I need a new one asap myself.

-JD

Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 11.12.57 AM.png

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
That looks cool as a standalone object, but on the bike, it’s not nearly as discreet as I’d like. Can you make the plastic much thinner, especially where it attaches to the frame. This design looks like it will hold dirt too. Something much closer to guards that manufacturers use would make more sense to me.

DTFab

Aug 31, 2024
Bay Area
That looks cool as a standalone object, but on the bike, it’s not nearly as discreet as I’d like. Can you make the plastic much thinner, especially where it attaches to the frame. This design looks like it will hold dirt too. Something much closer to guards that manufacturers use would make more sense to me.
Thanks! yea that's what I was hoping for with the next iteration. Something a little more organic shaped that flows with the shape of the frame. Unfortunately the way the frame is designed it kind of creates a shelf.

Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 12.38.53 PM.png Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 12.39.23 PM.png Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 12.39.37 PM.png

Tonyy2869

Jul 20, 2024
Ireland
Would it be possible to borrow the wire struts off a road going rear mudguard, place them on modified through axle bolts engineered with adjustable strut mounts.
With the extra support of the struts you could extend the mudguard further back over the wheel providing more coverage and stability.
They've worked quite successfully for road and touring mudguards.
The wire struts are strong, lightweight and adjustable.
The potential for customization is quite good as well, match the colour of the wire struts to either the mudguard or the drivetrain, gold, silver, oilslick or black for the drive train, any colour you like if you match the mudguard.

DTFab

Aug 31, 2024
Bay Area
Would it be possible to borrow the wire struts off a road going rear mudguard, place them on modified through axle bolts engineered with adjustable strut mounts.
With the extra support of the struts you could extend the mudguard further back over the wheel providing more coverage and stability.
They've worked quite successfully for road and touring mudguards.
The wire struts are strong, lightweight and adjustable.
The potential for customization is quite good as well, match the colour of the wire struts to either the mudguard or the drivetrain, gold, silver, oilslick or black for the drive train, any colour you like if you match the mudguard.
Got an example? I kind of lost you. I think I might understand what you’re talking about I might be way off.

Tonyy2869

Jul 20, 2024
Ireland
Got an example? I kind of lost you. I think I might understand what you’re talking about I might be way off.
Ok, the main reason why mudguards won't work effectively on MTB's, is the mount points for the rear mudguard.
There is only, effectively, two at the moment, namely the seat/upper swing arm.
This means the coverage is limited to just, at best, 10-35% of the rear tyre and doesn't come anywhere close to the area which produces the most water spray, namely the back of the tyre.
Road going, rear mudguards solve this problem by mounting wire struts that mount from the wheel axle up to the mudguards allowing for coverage exactly where it's needed.
Swing arm motion wouldn't normally allow for this, so my solution would be pivot mounts on the seat/upper swing arm instead of fixed mounts that are normally used on current rear mudguards.
The main fixed points will be coming from the wheel axle, not the seat/upper swingarm.
My idea would provide four mounting points, providing more rigidity thus allowing for a mudguard that can cover the back of the tyre.
I hope I'm clarifying it better.

Last edited:

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Not fancy, not pretty, but cheap and effective. IME it lasts 3 years or so, then I replace it.
flap.jpeg

DTFab

Aug 31, 2024
Bay Area
Ok, the main reason why mudguards won't work effectively on MTB's, is the mount points for the rear mudguard.
There is only, effectively, two at the moment, namely the seat/upper swing arm.
This means the coverage is limited to just, at best, 10-35% of the rear tyre and doesn't come anywhere close to the area which produces the most water spray, namely the back of the tyre.
Road going, rear mudguards solve this problem by mounting wire struts that mount from the wheel axle up to the mudguards allowing for coverage exactly where it's needed.
Swing arm motion wouldn't normally allow for this, so my solution would be pivot mounts on the seat/upper swing arm instead of fixed mounts that are normally used on current rear mudguards.
The main fixed points will be coming from the wheel axle, not the seat/upper swingarm.
My idea would provide four mounting points, providing more rigidity thus allowing for a mudguard that can cover the back of the tyre.
I hope I'm clarifying it better.
ah I get it. However, I'm not designing a rear tire mudguard to protect the rider from overspray. My design is mainly to avoid damaging the rear triangle pivot point. It's worked great for 4 years now.

Arethustra

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2024
Bay Area, CA
Well, the “flap” showed up today and it’s a very nicely done flap made out of TPU. Not sure that they were designed with VPPs in mind but I'm game to see if I can fit it to cover up the rear shock mount to the linkage.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Let me save everyone some time and money.

Trek 2023 Fuel EXe Carbon Main Pivot Mud Flap​

SKU# W5275234 MSRP $5.99
1725898063507.png

1725897483942.png

Using diagonal cutters you trim the nub flat (below flap) and tab going across from the top of the mount hole (above flap). Then attach to the seat tube on a Rail above the main pivot using strong double-sided tape (I used 3M brand and has held for over 1 year and 1,200 miles of aggressive riding). I bought two when I built my 9.8 in case it fell off, so I will try to post a picture of my spare so folks can see how I modified it.

JC-1

Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Let me save everyone some time and money.

Trek 2023 Fuel EXe Carbon Main Pivot Mud Flap​

SKU# W5275234 MSRP $5.99
View attachment 146517
View attachment 146516

Using diagonal cutters you trim the nub flat (below flap) and tab going across from the top of the mount hole (above flap). Then attach to the seat tube on a Rail above the main pivot using strong double-sided tape (I used 3M brand and has held for over 1 year and 1,200 miles of aggressive riding). I bought two when I built my 9.8 in case it fell off, so I will try to post a picture of my spare so folks can see how I modified it.
Install photo would be awesome, thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles