Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's really sad that
People can't take a joke...

However, you're going to have a hard job ahead of to convince me that your country isn't a shitshow, just look at your last President and the resulting clusterfuck after the Tangerine Gibbon lost the election. Or was it stolen from him by Hilary and the lizard people who control the alt-left commies? Presumably from their base in a moon crater.

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
People can't take a joke...

However, you're going to have a hard job ahead of to convince me that your country isn't a shitshow, just look at your last President and the resulting clusterfuck after the Tangerine Gibbon lost the election. Or was it stolen from him by Hilary and the lizard people who control the alt-left commies? Presumably from their base in a moon crater.
I like a good joke...you weren't joking. It is also not my job or desire to convince you of anything. Your comments reveal that your mind is made up. Referring to President Trump as the Tangerine Gibbon is a bit childish and I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the US to understand why half the country voted for him and despite his abrasive, crude, personality appreciated him as President. I read similar comments and thoughts by many Brits when you folks were going thru Brexit. It would have been stupid for me to believe I understood Brexit and the feelings of all Brits for or against Brexit and the leaders of your country at that time and then comment on a public forum as if I really knew what I was talking about. My point is when we make statements such as yours about entire countries and cultures that we aren't a part of we should at least be respectful or perhaps we look foolish.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I like a good joke...you weren't joking.
It was a glib remark. Perhaps you're so upset because you know it's true, even if you can't accept it.
It would have been stupid for me to believe I understood Brexit
Most Brits didn't understand Brexit so there's no way I'd expect an American, or anyone else for that matter, to understand it.
when we make statements such as yours about entire countries and cultures that we aren't a part of we should at least be respectful
Are you new to the internet?

Finally, a bit of light relief (unless you're a Republican)

1629904683247.png

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
It was a glib remark. Perhaps you're so upset because you know it's true, even if you can't accept it.
I have no reason to be upset. Disagreeing with someone thousands of miles away on the internet has zero impact on my life. I try my best to get along with most everyone and enjoy civil conversations with anyone whether I agree with them or not. If it turns into a purse swinging contest I'm out.

Are you new to the internet?
No....sadly I've been using the internet since its beginning. That however doesn't mean we still can't be decent to one another. Anonymity shouldn't be an excuse for a lack of civility. I'd like to think I could share a beer and talk bikes with anyone here...heck, maybe even be friends despite differences.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
If I moved to a place where carrying a firearm was normal then I'd probably feel pressured to own one myself, but really, I'd rather live in a place where they weren't required.
I’ve been to the US many times and at no point did I wish I had a gun !

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I’ve been to the US many times and at no point did I wish I had a gun !
The thread has lost it’s way a bit but here’s my opinion. I too have been to the US many times , and disregarding the nut jobs (which every country has) I have always found the average American to be courteous, helpful and friendly. Especially if you have an English accent. Although it gets a bit tedious telling them that you don’t actually know the Queen personally ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was a copper many years ago. Society has changed a geat deal since then, indeed I felt a change in society towards the Police even back then ( 1970s) and it was one reason I left. The law has not significantly changed however and as a private citizen ( England and Wales) you have the right to protect your person and your property, using reasonable force, to counter the commission of a crime. Note the wording, you have far less rights in law for any subsequent action. "Reasonable force" takes account of all circumstances and is only finally adjudicated by a jury. That includes the use of reasonable force to detain/arrest the culprit as long as that is coincident with the offence being committed and the offence is classified as "arrestable" ( punishable by at least 5 years inprisonment)...........that includes theft for instance.

Having said all of that de-escalation and self protection are probably the best strategies unless you have something that gives you the upper hand. In most cases you are likely to be the underdog. The would be thief or assailant has the element of surprise and planning and probably one or more accomplices.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I like a good joke...you weren't joking. It is also not my job or desire to convince you of anything. Your comments reveal that your mind is made up. Referring to President Trump as the Tangerine Gibbon is a bit childish and I wouldn't expect anyone outside of the US to understand why half the country voted for him and despite his abrasive, crude, personality appreciated him as President. I read similar comments and thoughts by many Brits when you folks were going thru Brexit. It would have been stupid for me to believe I understood Brexit and the feelings of all Brits for or against Brexit and the leaders of your country at that time and then comment on a public forum as if I really knew what I was talking about. My point is when we make statements such as yours about entire countries and cultures that we aren't a part of we should at least be respectful or perhaps we look foolish.

As a Brit I can quite understand why you wouldn’t take kindly to a foreigner calling your country a shitshow. We don’t all think that.

Reading this thread you could form the opinion that everyone in the UK is about to get robbed at knifepoint. Yes of course you could be unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time but overall I feel we’re a pretty safe country to live in.

By the same token I suspect that not every shopping mall or school in the US has daily mass shootings!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
And that we (aussies) don't have kangaroos in the main street! Although they do visit our garden every night; I'm happy to say they like kale (I don't):LOL:
That’s actually not true. They do randomly pop up on main roads from time to time. Granted they’ve gone walkabouts but still.

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Yes it’s usually cold wet and miserable in the UK - that’s why we drink warm beer.

Having said that it’s boiling today - 20 degC ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Talking a bout anything...weather, crime, culture, attitudes,..........in national terms is a nonsence in the UK and probably in every other country. I live on the South coast...in the south west of the UK. The weather here is completely different to " up north" ( ps for folks here, "up north" is anywhere more than 20 miles from the coast!). We have far less....in fact virtually zero....cultural enrichment. Life is lived at a slower more relaxed pace than further East towards the hellhole that is our Capital City. We dont have kangaroos but there are plenty of Deer roaming free and lying in wait for organ donors that lack the knowledge of rural road hazards.
I have worked in the US.....New York, Washington and San Jose..............no similarity between them.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
By ...cultural enrichment, you mean theatre? Book groups? sewing circles? or perhaps something else? :unsure:

Ellipses. Weird.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yep thought as much. Grim atavistic old fart usually so full of waffle can't bring himself to say the quiet part out loud. Nudge, nudge, wink wink, know what I mean? in lieu of the courage of his convictions.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yep thought as much. Grim atavistic old fart usually so full of waffle can't bring himself to say the quiet part out loud. Nudge, nudge, wink wink, know what I mean? in lieu of the courage of his convictions.

"We're well on the way with thanks to the Kippy w*****rs"...............code? euphemism? Pot Kettle Black

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
This thread has kinda gone of track but I will say this. It’s nice to see that even heated conversations between people of differing opinions can still occur -particularly at a time when cancelling or censoring seems de rigueur.

So my compliments to the staff and mods for having a tolerant view regarding “speech” on what is admittedly a private forum.

I’d like to think that my fellow forumites, whichever side of the political spectrum they butter their bread, feel the same way too

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
"We're well on the way with thanks to the Kippy w*****rs"...............code? euphemism? Pot Kettle Black
No not really Mike. Not code, not euphemistic at all. It's plain as day what I think of Brexit & its acolytes. I'm quite happy to express it & would rather be known for that than as someone who uses snidey racist expressions like 'cultural enrichment'. Racists are pond scum in my book & should be for anyone with the merest passing acquaintance with morality.

Without much regret, this is likely the end for this thread & I won't miss it. You much less again.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
But you all do wear hats with corks hanging off, don’t you???‍?
Geez, that's a blast from the past. It was old when I was a kid. Part of the swagman's attire to keep off flies. You can still buy those hats I think, albeit in tourist shops. Swaggies used to make their own, being folk of poverty due to the great depression. I think they were mostly returned soldiers. I don't think those hats were very effective at keeping flies off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles