Kenevo chain suck – what's your fix?

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Dropping chains on the Kenergizer. Driving me nuts.

Fresh chain, clean. Gears adjusted and shifting well. Middle to high cogs (smaller) over rough ground and into jumps... go to pedal and it's around the crank.

Any thoughts?

Have adjusted the guide down a few times, it's as neat as it can be at both ends – looks like it sticks out a bit too far and doesn't have enough of a track really.

Remove a link? Didn't check chain length against stock so put whatever the SRAM11 speed chain came with but doesn't seem better or worse than the stock chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The only time I ever had chainsuck was when the front ring was worn. Look for shark fins. See these pics.
The new one is at the back!

granny1.JPG

Note the hollowed out tooth face, making the tooth look like a shark's fin. Also note the burring where heavy pressure has pushed the tooth material out of place. These burrs can snag the chain. A gear this bad needs replacing, but a quick fix (to allow one more ride until your new gear arrives) would involve filing the burrs off both sides. That should take 10 mins max.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Youch @steve_sordy - only ever seen that when a chain has either rusted the pins or they have filled with crap and stopped the rollers from moving at all on the pins. Killed a chain in a 24hr race when my bike broke the frame in the first hour and I rode my alternate the rest of the race. Over lubed chain with sticky lube and in the wet weather grit was forced between the rollers & pins.

Last edited:

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
The only time I ever had chainsuck was when the front ring was worn. Look for shark fins. See these pics.
The new one is at the back!

View attachment 16767
Note the hollowed out tooth face, making the tooth look like a shark's fin. Also note the burring where heavy pressure has pushed the tooth material out of place. These burrs can snag the chain. A gear this bad needs replacing, but a quick fix (to allow one more ride until your new gear arrives) would involve filing the burrs off both sides. That should take 10 mins max.
What he said - 100% fixed it for me?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I've had this when the chain was really gritty after a day at bpw. Washing it solved the problem

Crush

Jun 22, 2018
Australia
Thanks for the replies guys.

Washed, cleaned, new chain... bike is hardly old so components in good condition.

It's always rough ground with big compressions. Ended up heating up the guide and bending it to be a bit tighter, better on ride one. See how it goes soon!

Chainring would be next.

Apps

Aug 12, 2019
Leicester
Hi had the same problem fitted new chain still came off.
Its the guide as it is to far from chain, either mine has been distorted or because its mounted on a plastic cover .
I have temporarily raped insulation tape round it and it cured problem. Need to find a better one.
One thing i also noticed even if don't peddle the motor still rotates the chain ring as i think the motor sees chain slap as you peddling. And chsin still comes off.

I have done about 100 miles like this with tape.

Cheers
Paul

1565813454289149534562.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles