Kenevo advice

Jo2910

Oct 1, 2019
St Albans
Hi guys I’m kind of new to the e-mtb world coming from the DH world I’m looking at a Kenevo. I’m trying to find a recent comp second hand or demo but most ads seem to say the motor was changed. Was there a bad batch of motors and with new ones in it should be fine?

Also I see second owner get 2 years of warranty from original purchase date. But I’m also told the 2 years starts again if you get a new battery or motor is that BS?

Thanks

Dave91

Sep 30, 2019
Birmingham
Hey Jo,

Working at a concept store, I've seen motors get changed for a number of reasons but the most common is simply through jet-washing or some form of mis-use. Through usual riding/maintenence it doesn't appear to have any real issues.

The motor, if already replaced wouldn't re-start the 2 year warranty. The warranty itself is from the date the product is purchased... in this instance being the bike itself. So regardless of when the motor was changed, this is from the date the bike was purchased from.

We do try to be as helpfull as possible, and unfortunately we can't speak on other stores behalf as we are still independant. In some instances, we've sold people new motors at a reduced cost to try to assist.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was going to link you to the thread which had the welsh demo bikes on, but you've already seen it.

The jury's still out on the motor issues. The comp has the 1.2 and he expert the 1.3. I'm not sure if they made the 1.3 more reliable or fixed any issues or just upped the power.

Some people seem to of had motor changes and others seem to have no problems at all.

Ultimately most seem fine, but it doesn't mean you won't get a duff one.

From my limited experience with Spesh, make sure you find a dealer who is capable, professional and that you feel comfortable with. You're an hour from Berkshire cycles who seem to have the most knowledge, experience and are the goto place. I'd suggest talking to them as a starting point and check what they say and what they would confirm on warranty situations and costs, either for them to do any work for you, or costs for a replacement motor outside of warranty should you be in that situation. They might also be able to point you in the direction of a suitable bike given their large customer base.

I wish I live an hour from Berkshire cycles. I've got a new Kenevo and seem to have landed with no warranty whatsoever, no support and can't even get a spesh shop to update my firmware.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hey Jo,

Working at a concept store, I've seen motors get changed for a number of reasons but the most common is simply through jet-washing or some form of mis-use. Through usual riding/maintenence it doesn't appear to have any real issues.

The motor, if already replaced wouldn't re-start the 2 year warranty. The warranty itself is from the date the product is purchased... in this instance being the bike itself. So regardless of when the motor was changed, this is from the date the bike was purchased from.

We do try to be as helpfull as possible, and unfortunately we can't speak on other stores behalf as we are still independant. In some instances, we've sold people new motors at a reduced cost to try to assist.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know :)

Looks like you're already landing on your feet ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I was going to link you to the thread which had the welsh demo bikes on, but you've already seen it.

The jury's still out on the motor issues. The comp has the 1.2 and he expert the 1.3. I'm not sure if they made the 1.3 more reliable or fixed any issues or just upped the power.

Some people seem to of had motor changes and others seem to have no problems at all.

Ultimately most seem fine, but it doesn't mean you won't get a duff one.

From my limited experience with Spesh, make sure you find a dealer who is capable, professional and that you feel comfortable with. You're an hour from Berkshire cycles who seem to have the most knowledge, experience and are the goto place. I'd suggest talking to them as a starting point and check what they say and what they would confirm on warranty situations and costs, either for them to do any work for you, or costs for a replacement motor outside of warranty should you be in that situation. They might also be able to point you in the direction of a suitable bike given their large customer base.

I wish I live an hour from Berkshire cycles. I've got a new Kenevo and seem to have landed with no warranty whatsoever, no support and can't even get a spesh shop to update my firmware.
That’s because your soft and won’t demand a shop to do their job.
If you want I’d be willing to call them on your behalf and set up a meeting.
Or I’m close to sending you my battery!

?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Thanks buddy... I'm trying! New to the whole forum scene and I'm really enjoying what seems to be such a good community!
Oh Zimmer he’s new and we’re the two to break him in.
Poor guy,

Welcome to the forum Dave 91!

Zimmer and I are both Kenevo whores, wpen will be on his way soon..

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Ha the Kenevo does it to you somehow...so gnarly goes anywhere. Welcome Dave what can I say but just get one. And welcome Jo too if you haven't already just get one (y)- any Kenevo. Berkshire, performancelinebearings & many others - emtb central.
And Z&C are a unique comedy act for real...if anything I'd prefer to be like a Kenevo stallion though.

Last edited:

Dave91

Sep 30, 2019
Birmingham
Oh Zimmer he’s new and we’re the two to break him in.
Poor guy,

Welcome to the forum Dave 91!

Zimmer and I are both Kenevo whores, wpen will be in his way soon..

Ahh man, I'm appreciating the love in the community. I'm inclined to agree with Wepn.... Kenevo Stallion is a slightly better title ??

Jo2910

Oct 1, 2019
St Albans
Thanks guys and especially the point around warranty that makes a huge difference. I might just keep saving until I can get a new new one with full warranty and follow up service. Second hand market sounds a bit of a lottery

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles