If you could start again which Ebike would you choose today?

Gilb0803

May 23, 2020
Hinckley
From what I read in reviews you seem to be needing to spend £4-£5k minimum on a bike... That is however a lot of money so I only want to do this once (for now ?) I’ve listened to the guys at LBS but I do feel there’s an element of try and sell what you have in stock rather than what’s best...

Any help would be greatly appreciated I like the Whyte e180 and the Turbo Levo Comp. is there any other bikes I should look at...

It does have to be able to ride 20mile trails and bits of downhill depending on what we’re doing.
Thanks look forward to the replies ??
Gilb

09870A55-15AC-4FC0-91B6-C642CA7C8F7A.jpeg

2A7506E0-45E3-4B3B-A8D8-D71AABA55D9D.jpeg

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Get as many demo rides as you can? Loads of other makes too that fit your bill, Trek, Orbea, Scott etc etc

Gilb0803

May 23, 2020
Hinckley
Appreciate that thanks. I went down to the LBS last week but stocks have been decimated ?! Tried the cube, Cannondale as well in that price bracket...

Not sure where to try demos as had to book a time slot just to look at a couple last week and didn’t really feel like they would let me out the shop on one, understandably. Thanks for the reply

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Well those are two very different bikes you have mentioned in your post., ones a 29r trail bike and the other a full in 27.5 Enduro weapon.

personally I would go with the White, it’s a hell of a bike and can handle anything.

one thing we see a lot of on here is once people get an EMTB they find themselves pushing and progressing a bit more than they did before, and the E180 would have you covered for that, and be absolutely fine for just cruising around in too.

Levo still very capable, but totally different kind of bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Concentrate on getting one that fits you well and does what you want it to do. As your ambition and capability increase, you can always upgrade the suspension. :)

Gilb0803

May 23, 2020
Hinckley
Thanks, I was worried the Whyte maybe too downhill orientated which you pointed out as one of its main features... clearly has quality comps. but wasn’t sure if it would suffer on trails
I initially looked at the Kenevo but preferred the idea of a 700wh battery without spending another £2k on the expert. Hence the Levo Turbo...
What do you ride? Just interested to see what people are riding
??

Gilb0803

May 23, 2020
Hinckley
The Whyte fit perfectly it was really nice, a little over budget (as always) just a shame they wouldn’t let me ride it due to lockdown! Big purchase just trying to ensure I get it right ??

Frankieboy

Jan 14, 2019
Basingstoke
I agree with the comment @R120 made about getting something you can grow into.

I have a Cube 160 enduro which is arguably OTT for most of the riding I do, local trails. But, when I do occasionally go to the local bike park it soaks up anything (within my limited ability) I can throw at it.

Personally I’d prefer to have a little more than I need and not use it vs. not doing stuff for fear of damaging the bike. Having said that, if you’re only ever going to ride trails?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Probably a Levo so I can be one of the cool kids. I'm like the kid who brought vegimite sandwiches for lunch when everyone else got tuck shop.

• Haha
Reactions: Zed

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would still buy the same bike - the market has changed a lot in the last 2 years, with way more decent options, but I still think the majority of EMTB's are designed with a compromised agenda, namely trying to make a good bike, but also trying to design one which doesn't look too unlike a normal bike.

I think a fair few of the latest models are actually backwards steps over their predecessors in terms of handling, because many of them have gone up in weight and have compromises due to the rush to hide everything away. Take the new Merida's over the last Gen, yes they look better, but I would still go for the older gen in terms of riding ability.

I also think a lot of the newer bikes dont look great, and I am highly likely to be going against the grain with this view, but so many of them are so fecking big in terms of the tube sizes, with every other tube pumped up to try and not make the downtube look out of proportion, for me an MTB should be streamlined and look like it was built for purpose, whereas a lot of the new bikes look like cartoon version of an MTB to me - again just my opinion, but if I am looking at one of these big beasts, it doesn't make me want to ride em.

To me all the motors are plenty powerful enough, battery ranges are fine, and really the progress I am looking for is getting the weight down and placed correctly, and there are relatively few newer bikes where this has been progressed, save for the emergence of the lower power smaller battery segment.

The bike I am waiting for is a Levo SL with the geometry of the Stumpjumper Evo

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
The bike I have will do me right for 3-4 years easy, I have no list. When 1500 watt batteries or 100 mile ranges happen I’ll upgrade :)

But, a Kenevo.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks, I was worried the Whyte maybe too downhill orientated which you pointed out as one of its main features... clearly has quality comps. but wasn’t sure if it would suffer on trails
What everyone else has said .. and don't worry too much about anything being "too downhill orientated". I have a Kenevo and it's happy bumbling about and hitting trails as it being flung down hills. Nearly all the bikes these days are very capable/comfortable in most situations.

Keep in mind that something like a Kenevo will be more of an all body workout if you're going for it on technical trails. The extra weight of the bike will need more physical work, even if you don't notice that much at the time. But, it will be less tiring as you bulldoze your way through rocks, trees, roots, bystanders at speed on a fast descent.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Same HT...unless I won loads of money in which case I'd be a cool kid like iXi and get a Levo (whatever that is)...
That said, if I did, I'd probably injure myself trying to live up to it.

Reactions: iXi

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If I could start again I would have pretty much gone the same route - starting with the eGenius 920 and ending up with the eGenius 900 Tuned. On reflection I would have skipped the Levo Comp altogether and probably just bought another battery for the Shimano powered bike.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I would buy the same bike again but what I now know is the importance of purchasing from a GOOD local bike shop. Teething problems with my second bike would have been a total nightmare without their support.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Great question. Obviously I would now buy the new mode year Giant Trance Pro +3 Or one with a bigger than 500w battery. Maybe even look for a lighter bike. But the same bike in a 2020 spec would have been fine for me. Mines 2019.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Having owned a C50 RM Altitude for nearly one year, and approaching 5000km on it, I would buy the same bike over without doubt. I find it a bit like my Ducati, where the experience of just looking at it is a good one :D

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
And I'd be psyched with a much lighter, aggressive and smaller e-hardtail myself. 140mm front fork. 27"5 2.2 - 2.4 maximum. Ho and thru axles, strong ass wheels. No extra flex this time. I'd be down to save weight on the rear suspension and keeping a smaller battery size. I don't know.. hardtail are fun and scary.

I don't really have the place for 2 bikes or I'd have a non-electric MTB already. 21kg is heavy af to improve on. So I'll aim for a light playful and sturdy EMTB HT for my next one.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I still have my e160-900 and I still see no real reason to upgrade and I'm still super happy with the bike. I'd rather upgrade the bike I have than replace it. Originally I thought I'd look again in two years but that's approaching and unless something radical happens I'm going at least another years with the 160/900. So I would do exactly the same thing if I had the option.

Instead of replacing my Merida I'm complimenting it with something different. I have an order in for an e-Zesty. But that won't replace my Merida. I think the e160 will be my main bike for some time.

Gordon

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Well those are two very different bikes you have mentioned in your post., ones a 29r trail bike and the other a full in 27.5 Enduro weapon.

personally I would go with the White, it’s a hell of a bike and can handle anything.

one thing we see a lot of on here is once people get an EMTB they find themselves pushing and progressing a bit more than they did before, and the E180 would have you covered for that, and be absolutely fine for just cruising around in too.

Levo still very capable, but totally different kind of bike.
I agree that the Whyte is a great ride. It was probably the best of all my test rides but I couldn't buy because of the battery removal hassle. As long as you can keep it indoors in winter its fine but taking the battery in and out to keep it at a reasonable temperature just seemed a bridge too far. Shame because I loved the bike and the brand. Ended up with a Turbo Levo but had tried Cannondale and Cube as well. I was lucky because this was in February/March when there were plenty of demo days. You wouldn't be disappointed with either. I was told that Whyte were working on a solution but that means waiting until 2021 range comes out.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Had my Felt Redemption for a few months/500 miles and can't see any reason that I would purchase another bike. There are things I might tweak, namely I'd like a battery charging port on the side instead of underneath, and a USB connector would be nice but it's generally been an awesome bike. Would I take even more power or drop 20 lbs off the weight? Sure, but what I have is pretty competitive and a great value.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Too early to say. Tech is leaping too much every year... I'm not even sure if eMTBs will still look the same when government legislation catches up - or clamps down regressively. Ask me in 5 years when all eMTBs are rated IP67 (one would hope)! :)

ceejays88

May 28, 2020
Wirral
I have tried alot of ebikes before settling on mine, I had a 5k budget, and ended up liking the vitus e sommet range and the Btwin Stillus

I got the bottom tier e-sommet and putting the rest of the money towards my own upgrades and its a shame CRC have such an awful customer service as the bike is amazing, just the company thats a let down.

RedTed

Oct 1, 2019
Sheffield
The one thing that bothers me with my Trek FS7 is the Gen 2 motor. Great power and assistance but the fact that once you get to 16 mph and its like riding through treacle. It's also a mid fat bike that makes it a bit unwieldy and draggy. Apart from that I think it's a good bike and I got a great deal, but armed with a little more knowledge from being on here I would look at something different if I had the choice again, the Whyte would be on the short list.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles