I Test Rode Shimano EP801 Update

notaninfluencer

Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
What about the upgrade is a "hassle?"
It took three hours as the motor had to be removed from the bike and Shimano were on the phone for two hours as it used a non shimano battery and the Shimano software from the dealer couldnt talk to the bike. They had to do a lot of strange stuff to get the update to work.... did in the end. but cost three hours of work time, so its not free.

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
It took three hours as the motor had to be removed from the bike and Shimano were on the phone for two hours as it used a non shimano battery and the Shimano software from the dealer couldnt talk to the bike. They had to do a lot of strange stuff to get the update to work.... did in the end. but cost three hours of work time, so its not free.
I updated mine in like 5 minutes?

notaninfluencer

Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
But you cant change the overrun option if you did it with the app. You also had a Shimano battery connected, not a Shimano friendly battery?

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Shimano service centre, here in Little old YORKSHIRE, Yeti 160e, 15 minutes, upgrade done.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
What I would like to know is after the update how much more power does it drain v Bosch system in eMtb mode as I use that around 90 percent of the time .
You can't compare one system against another as Shimano doesn't have such a setting, also you can't compare some bosch systems with greater battery capacity, you can only compare Shimano to Shimano and the sooner people realise that the sooner people will settle for what they have.

Aug 17, 2020
scottish borders
You can't compare one system against another as Shimano doesn't have such a setting, also you can't compare some bosch systems with greater battery capacity, you can only compare Shimano to Shimano and the sooner people realise that the sooner people will settle for what they have.
I think when people do ebike reviews it would be helpful to do a honest range test possible using the same hill and doing as many laps as possible sitting at there comfortable heart rate and cadence .
For example I try to stay just above 80 cadence on climbs .
Then take the size of the battery and you can work out a honest Distance /Height per watt Hour .
Both Rob and Sam's bikes have done similar in the past .
Obviously everyone's comfortable climbing heart rate and cadence will vary but the test pilots will remain consistent between compared Bikes /systems

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I think when people do ebike reviews it would be helpful to do a honest range test possible using the same hill and doing as many laps as possible sitting at there comfortable heart rate and cadence .
For example I try to stay just above 80 cadence on climbs .
Then take the size of the battery and you can work out a honest Distance /Height per watt Hour .
Both Rob and Sam's bikes have done similar in the past .
Obviously everyone's comfortable climbing heart rate and cadence will vary but the test pilots will remain consistent between compared Bikes /systems
To but things in context, Lewis Hamilton will always drive any car better than you or I, Tom Pidcick will ride any bike better than anyone on this forum, commenting on systems we read about but have no real-world experience of using has no merit, be happy with what you have and own.

Cycledesign89

Jun 26, 2023
London
I updated mine in the app but honestly cannot tell any difference. At ard rock at the weekend Privateer were saying to me that the update won't actually take effect until they update the app so I can change the settings. So it sounds like my motor has the firmware now to go harder but I can't tell it to do so until the app is updated. Is that right?

notaninfluencer

Author
Mar 18, 2019
Italy
I updated mine in the app but honestly cannot tell any difference. At ard rock at the weekend Privateer were saying to me that the update won't actually take effect until they update the app so I can change the settings. So it sounds like my motor has the firmware now to go harder but I can't tell it to do so until the app is updated. Is that right?
yes, you need to go to a dealer to change the settings. Then you will notice the difference.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles