I have a Rise coming next week. Has the crank arm issue I’ve read about on some of these MTB forums been resolved?

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
I am looking forward to receiving mine. I already have code RSC brakes and a new Shimano display to upgrade the bike. I’ve read on MTB forums that certain owners had their crank arms come loose with the cap falling off. Anyone else experience this and is there any remedy. I bought some Shimano em600 emtb crank arms which I hope can e fitted to the Rise. These cranks came on my Heckler MX-S and they have worked well.

Last edited:

Mark24

Sep 16, 2021
Bursledon
Hi these are the only shimano cranks that fit

FC-M8150
HOLLOWTECH E-MTB Crank Arm Set
• HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm Set
• 24 mm bottom bracket spindle
• Crank arm length: 160 mm, 165 mm,
170 mm, 175 mm

FC-EM900/FC-EM600 HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm Set/
Crank Arm Set
• FC-EM900/HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm
• FC-EM600/Crank Arm Set
170 mm, 175 mm

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I picked up my M20 last week and although this model doesn't suffer as much as others, the LBS strongly suggested that there was no real substitute than regularly checking the torque

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
thanks for the info. The crank arms I have are in fact the EM600.

Hi these are the only shimano cranks that fit

FC-M8150
HOLLOWTECH E-MTB Crank Arm Set
• HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm Set
170 mm, 175 mm

FC-EM900/FC-EM600 HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm Set/
Crank Arm Set
• FC-EM900/HOLLOWTECH Crank Arm
• FC-EM600/Crank Arm Set
170 mm, 175 mm

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
No problems with the cranks on my M20, received in July.

I persisted with the ETube, ETube Ride and Garmin apps rather than upgrading the display. Setting up the apps was a pain as the apps only connect to the bike when they feel like it. The Garmin seemed to magically install the RS Toolset with little need to follow Shimano's headache inducing instructions. Upgrading to the Shimano display is definitely the way to go if you want to avoid fighting the apps.

NorthernBloke

Sep 17, 2021
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
I had issues on left hand side. Tried the warranty route but went round in circles, also awaiting on original spec carbon ones to arrive.

I presume that newer bikes won't be a problem as E13 have revised their installation instructions.

I seem to have fixed mine for now, make sure you tighten to 14 NM with a torque wrench, be careful you don't round the hex bolts as they seem to be quite a soft alloy. Replaced my cap with an aluminium cap and plenty of 242. Also see if you can find traces of blue glue on the bolts, it should be clearly visible. If not I would remove the crank, and follow the installation instructions which you can find on another blog.

You can keep checking the tightness but again the bolts are soft alloy, so I am going to get some titanium ones off Amazon when my replacements arrive.

Other than that it is a great bike, enjoy

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles