How to squeeze a little more juice out of the battery

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I purchased a used SM-PCE02 PC interface, connected it to the Decoy and the laptop, and changed the Light setting to ‘Off’.

Usually my battery would die when it hit 9%. This afternoon I started with the battery at 80% to be sure I’d get close to draining it, and sure enough the battery went below 9% without cutting out/dying on me.

ST Unlocker has the same functionality, but you need to downgrade the firmware first.

70041006-CBC0-47B9-9D11-57DF9C88714B.jpeg

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
So, it means that with the standard setting, the battery management holds 9% back for the light? Wow, if that is the case, this would indeed mean a range improvement if it can be switched off!

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
So, it means that with the standard setting, the battery management holds 9% back for the light? Wow, if that is the case, this would indeed mean a range improvement if it can be switched off!
Correct. I read on another thread in the Specialized bike area that you don't want to totally drain the battery every time you ride. Apparently it helps to preserve long-term battery life by not totally draining it, but this "hack" by setting the lights to "off" will be very useful in case of "emergencies". I'll still aim to finish my ride at around 9%.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
At what percentage does the assist cut off now?
I am guessing at 0%. I'll have to give it a try. Just seeing the Garmin display the battery below 9% was proof enough to me that this setting of turning off the lights setting with the SM-PCE02 had worked.

Maybe get close to 0 on the trail, and then get to actual 0 when close to home - and at the top of a hill and not at the bottom! :)

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Here is the setting screen and how to connect the SM-PCE02. The device is a little expensive considering ST Unlocker also does this. But, with ST Unlocker you need to downgrade the firmware. I managed to find a used SM-PCE02 for a good price.

IMG_6134.jpg
IMG_6135.jpg
IMG_6139.jpg

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I am guessing at 0%. I'll have to give it a try. Just seeing the Garmin display the battery below 9% was proof enough to me that this setting of turning off the lights setting with the SM-PCE02 had worked.

Maybe get close to 0 on the trail, and then get to actual 0 when close to home - and at the top of a hill and not at the bottom! :)

Haha, for sure. Please do report back when you get around to testing it.

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
Here is the setting screen and how to connect the SM-PCE02. The device is a little expensive considering ST Unlocker also does this. But, with ST Unlocker you need to downgrade the firmware. I managed to find a used SM-PCE02 for a good price.

Do you know to which firmware version you need to downgrade to do this?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Do you know to which firmware version you need to downgrade to do this?
4.8 I think. Although I've never tried it.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Hi,
There is a European law that states Ebikes need to reserve enough battery to run a light for 20 minutes. Yes, even if you don't have a light!
Crazy.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
If you are in Europe and set the max speed assist to North America of 32 km/h, and also turn off the reserve for lights then you are breaking the law twice! Bad boys and girls haha. Seems like regulations for regulations sake.

Wonder if the above also applies to the Brits with Brexit?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Dies at 3%. This extra 6% I now get from the battery saved me yesterday, as I took a wrong turn... and the extra juice managed to get me back to the top of the hill.

IMG_6246.jpg