How not to wash an ebike by muc off

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
The bikes not even dirty :rolleyes: I have to spend an hour cleaning the patio down after i wash mine, to be honest I cant be arsed anymore, i keep on top of the drive train and maintenance but it really gets a proper wash, its just a waste of life in this weather. I also don't get hung up on water, when its covered in mud it gets a hose on it although I will admit to blow drying the bike dry mud and all (y)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
As long as you don't go spraying at high pressure into motors hubs and battery housings I don't see a problem. I have one of those Worx portable washers which is excellent. At worst it produces 22 bar as opposed to a mains powered washer which is well over 100 bar. I'd be more worried about riding for hours in heavy rain and road spray. I love my bike but I'm far too lazy to spend hours faffing around with small brushes and buckets of water especially when it's really cold. I want it done as quickly as possible although I do look after the drive and chain with a little more care. I "pressure washed" at low pressure my previous EMTB for 18 months with no ill affects.

Al

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
At this time of year there seems to be little point in washing a mountain bike (unless you keep it in your kitchen or other clean area), it just gets filthy again within half a mile the next time you go out.

I just oil the chain every other ride, but leave the rest of the bike covered in mud.

Reactions: mak

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I use the muc-off p/w on the Heckler, then blow dry the drive train and around the motor with an air hose. Something I take the motor cover off to clean in there. So far, no issues and it p/w makes it a quick and easy job.

I don’t use the muc-off chain degreaser, I use the hope shit shifter for that. Much cheaper and just as good.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
At this time of year there seems to be little point in washing a mountain bike (unless you keep it in your kitchen or other clean area), it just gets filthy again within half a mile the next time you go out.

I just oil the chain every other ride, but leave the rest of the bike covered in mud.
Agree. Years ago I was known for a perfect bike, looked like new for every ride. Then I started to realise how many more bottom brackets, bearings, freehub bodies etc. I got through compared to mates.

So now it's just the transmission that gets attention and the worst of the mud brushed off. Means more riding too.

Last edited:

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
got a muc off and you can put your hand in front of it when on (try that in front of a karcher) so if it is able to blow the grease out of bearings as many people think the bearings are shit.

obviously you dont blow it into the electrical bits and bearings directly but its fine otherwise. just cleans the crap off quick and then you can give it a wipe. nice to have a foamer and better than a bucket or a hose.

more worried about the fact my levo has shit cable design and the motor isnt resilient more than tbe damage i could do washing it ?

use it on my motorhome too as its gentle so no issue there either

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
I use a hose with jet nozzle spray everywhere use no94 for water dispenser on a few bits. Never had any problems with my Decoy

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Yeah I never clean my bike like this, I let the gentle mist from the angels softly settle upon my frame, then I lightly take thy feather duster bound from only the finest ostrich feathers and carefully brush away the dirt. From then on I spend the next 200 miles thrashing it down the most rugged muddy, wet, rocky terrain and repeat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles