How frequently are you charging your bike?

Are you charging your bike...

• after each and every ride, regardless of charge level?

• only once the battery is completely drained?

• whenever you remember to 😝

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Hi folks, I'm interested to hear from others what your charging strategy is in the instance that you don't completely drain the bike's battery. Thanks!
Ivoted, but none of the answers really fit my strategy:
My strategy is to keep the battery between 55-75% charge when not in use.
So when I return from a ride, if I plan on riding the next day- I charge fully. If not charge up to about 70% . Untill the day before my next ride, then charge fully.
But if after a ride my state of charge is anywhere between 55-100%... I just leave it as is till the day before my next ride.
Try not to leave fully charged for long periods .. not good for the batt.
Just my "two cents" ...
Tim

Dr.GonzO

Aug 24, 2021
Netherlands
After a ride i charge it to 60%ish, as i am an early rider and like to go out just after the sun rises, i put it the night before on a timer, so it charges the rest of the charge from around 4:30 am, so when i get up it`s almost fully charged, time enough for breakfast and coffee and then head out.....so always to 60% for storage and charge to fully just before the ride....

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If the bike manufacturer suggest, that I shall only charge to a specific level, then it must be supported by the sysem to shut off automaticly, when this level is reached.
Otherwise they can f*ck off and work on their BMS.

So my proces is:
after a ride, I will charge the battery at night to full charge in my workshop, using a timer.
Then I will ride again in 1-2 days.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Safety Habit from using drone batteries, had a racing drones lipo battery ignite once luckily on concrete, they burn up ferociously.

yeah I do appreciate that and have seen the clip of the kenevo go up, but very rare in ebikes. I think it’s the more suspect ‘Chinese’ cheap batteries in budget scooters and I guess drones that are a danger…

let’s hope for your sake all manufacturers don’t go with the non-removable battery like most of the new Bosch systems. 🙈

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
I didn't vote because the thing I do isn't listed - charge when it gets to around 40% to 50% (because I know it's on its last 25% to 35%) plus, I like the poke of a fresh battery, where power level 2 fully charged feels like power level 3 when it's getting drained.

Jdub

Jan 10, 2022
Valencia, Spain
I've got a new 630 with the Bosch gen 4. So far, even on decent rides over 30 km with 1000 m climb in emtb mode I'm only getting it down to 45-50%. I charge it to full the night before I ride. (every other day).

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
If the battery has 3 bars or more (out of 5), I'll leave it until the night before my next ride to fully charge.
If it has 2 bars, I will give it an hour's charge as soon as I get in.
If it has 1bar or less, it gets 2 hours.

The idea is to leave the battery in the 50% - 80% charge level that is supposed to be the best for battery life. It probably doesn't matter if I will be using the battery within a few days, but I'm never really sure when I will next be using the bike. Might as well get into good habits.
I'm riding every alternative day. I charge the battery to full charge as soon as it comes inside after a gentle wash. After coming up three years since new, and 10,550 km, the battery is going to outlast me!!!!!!

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I dont do much more than 10 miles in the week now. Only reason i have an ebike as i cant walk without pain, and cycling i can do easily without pain so its a no brainer.
So im probably recharging once a fortnight to 3 weeks, and usually when down to about 50%
Maybe in the warmer summer months ill be doing a bit more, but never really more than about 30 miles in the day. Max on tour setting is about 55-60 miles on the 625 battery.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I dont do much more than 10 miles in the week now. Only reason i have an ebike as i cant walk without pain, and cycling i can do easily without pain so its a no brainer.
So im probably recharging once a fortnight to 3 weeks, and usually when down to about 50%
Maybe in the warmer summer months ill be doing a bit more, but never really more than about 30 miles in the day. Max on tour setting is about 55-60 miles on the 625 battery.
Enjoy it

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I put it straight to charge. I rarely have more than 35% left on my 625 battery and I just hate it when I realise I’ve forgot to charge my battery on my way out the door. That’s far worse feeling than the battery dropping a few extra % of original output

CvK

Jan 13, 2022
USA
Hi folks, I'm interested to hear from others what your charging strategy is in the instance that you don't completely drain the bike's battery. Thanks!

I bought a spare and rotate them every ride. I never drain all the way and charge them to 85% with the Grin Cycle Satiator smart charger. It’s also programmable, so I’m planning to build a 1 amp slow charge to 80 percent as recommended in the second link. I think spending $300 on a charger will be cost effective in the long run but I could be wrong. So far it’s working out great and if it doubles the number of cycles I get then fantastic.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I really don’t think it’s a need to be so careful (I might be wrong of course😬)
Same goes for my electric car. I charged it to 100% most days for 5 years and I can hardly see any difference in range

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles