Here's what I want to be able to travel with my eBike

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Was thinking about this today when discussing something completely unrelated to bikes.....

Why can't some smarty make smaller connectable battery packs for e-Bikes? 99.99aH packs that clip together to make one bigger pack in the down tube of the bike? You can carry as many 99.9aH packs as you want as hand luggage (not checked though) or two at 139aH. Then at your destination they get loaded into a sleeve and clipped to your bike.

Not only that, you could clip 3 or 4 together for a short ride (less weight) and add a few more for longer days at the cost of more weight.

This is exactly what my commercial drones do so I can transport them by plane (2 or 6 batteries in each drone). Surely the same thing could work on an eBike, couldn't it?

Gordon

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I've heard from a reliable source, you can now fly with an ebike battery as long as it's in a fireproof rated box.
Apparently these box are available.

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
I have one of those - an ex Netherlands army / Nato ammunition case, which I use to store my RC lipos. It's big enough to store an E-bike battery, but weighs a few KG....

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
So with some airlines hand luggage being a 5 kg weight limit, still might struggle with a heavy box and a 3 kg battery in it?

cjm_wales

Mar 19, 2019
Cardiff
So with some airlines hand luggage being a 5 kg weight limit, still might struggle with a heavy box and a 3 kg battery in it?

They'd definitely charge something for the additional mass. I doubt they'd let you take it into the cabin, so it'd have to be checked in. You'd definitely need to phone / email ahead.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
something like this?
Sentry Safe 1200 Fire Safe Chest 5.2L From the internal dimensions it looks like it'd take a Shimano E8000 battery AND charger (or two E8000 batteries)

[EDIT] Oops. Just measured my battery and it's closer to 15" in length.
but I can't see it being too difficult to find a suitable sized box

Last edited:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
something like this?
Sentry Safe 1200 Fire Safe Chest 5.2L From the internal dimensions it looks like it'd take a Shimano E8000 battery AND charger (or two E8000 batteries)

That box you linked will be completely useless for any lipo storage. It's ok to protect fire from the outside but if a lipo pack goes up, this box will make a huge exploding bomb.

You need something with ventilation to let all the gasses escape.
Search Lipo pack explosions and you see what I mean. A 5s lipo pack can destroy a whole house.

Box test

Last edited:

Marke

Jun 17, 2018
West Yorkshire
I use a 40mm nato ammo box with seals removed (to allow the smoke out) for my bosch battery. I did a search of you tube and this seemed the best option. Although tbh a fully charged ebike battery holds alot of energy and I'm not sure how it would hold up

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles