(HELP) Newbie just made a Custom Chinese Full Carbon EMTB Beast for $3000. What do you guys think?

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
Hi All,

Newbie here.:)

Just getting back into biking after decades and learning about all the new stuff thats come out since. Am 40+ and looking to get a bit adventurous with some trails, XC and eventually downhill.

First thing I noticed was "GEEZ! Bikes have gone expensive!" and "OMG! These EMTB cost same as a used car nowadays!". o_O

So when looking at standard full suspension MTBs, the cheapest were coming in at around £1200, and most were over £2000. But the EMTB's were way too expensive as my budget was around £2k. But I felt to future proof my purchase; I should look at EMTBs.

After many months I finally got in contact with a EMTB bike company in china to custom build my new bike using hand picked components.

I've just finished the design and component selection but its still to be built. Therefore I've come here to ask for some pro help with the frame and components chosen for the price, as even used EMTB's are not going to be this good at this price. And whether I'm missing something with my build.

So here goes, the spec:

-17.5 inch Full carbon fiber frame
-Rockshox Domain Gold RC3 front fork with 160mm travel (Latest with the new Isolator design)
-Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Air RC2T rear shock 160mm travel
-Carbon Dropper seat post and handlebar switch
-Carbon Riser Handlebars
-Bafang M620 48v 1000w mid motor (1500w peak)
-Bafang set controller
-APT 860C color display
-Shimano Deore XT M8100 brakes 4 piston with 203mm rotors front and back
-Shimano Deore XT M8100 gear system
-Maxxis REKON M349 29*2.6 tire
-LG 48V 17.5AH lithium battery (840 Wh)
-3A charger
-Standard Hubs, Seat, Grips and Pedals (I'll upgrade them locally once I receive the bike as quite a few bargain sales going on)

1720016291354.png

1720016326934.png

1720016363177.png

1720016557558.png

1720016623080.png

I have learnt a bit about MTBs, shocks, motors, batteries etc. and come up with this build. However my knowledge of what makes a good frame geometry is next to nothing.

Therefore could you be so kind as to go over the components and geometry numbers to see if this is a decent enough build for the price of $3000 delivered and customs taxes paid (DDP). I know chinese carbon frames are a game of roulette, however I do business in China and therefore had one of my local engineers go into the factory and confirm all is good and excellent quality. So fingers crossed. Don't want to get into the china stuff is crap debate.

Interesting thing I came across is the frame design, seems the same as the carbon frame used by Simplon bikes for their EMTB's. You can tell from the cutout design at the head under the handlebars and overall geometry:

Simplon Rapcon Pmax Pinion EMTB

Also what colour combo would you guys go for?

I'm leaning towards main colour Pearlescent White, with gold where its black in the above pictures. I have asked them to paint the seat post and handle bars same gold colour. So hopefully it will look closer to something similar to this:

1720018687254.png

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and if there is anything that you would change or I need to double check, upgrade.

Many thanks for all the help in advance. :giggle:

Last edited:

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Hi welcome
I hate to be a party pooper but that motor wont be legal in the UK and doesn't meet EAPC regulations ,
You would need the M820 for that (y).

He won't be the only one with non street legal ebike in UK or the rest of the world 😁

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
Hi welcome
I hate to be a party pooper but that motor wont be legal in the UK and doesn't meet EAPC regulations ,
You would need the M820 for that (y).

I realise that and have asked the factory to set lockout modes at 150W, 250W, 500W & 1000W. So that when riding on the streets, I can lock it in at 250W, but when on private land, can unlock it to 1000W. ;)

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
IDK what a "carbon dropper" is but I wouldn't put it on any bike, let alone a bike that isn't rigorously tested.
If you plan on hitting those trails, those brakes won't stop your 23+Kg bike. Get real brakes that are rated for downhill (Saints, Mavens, etc)

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
IDK what a "carbon dropper" is but I wouldn't put it on any bike, let alone a bike that isn't rigorously tested.
If you plan on hitting those trails, those brakes won't stop your 23+Kg bike. Get real brakes that are rated for downhill (Saints, Mavens, etc)
Sorry, was referring to a carbon fiber seat post.

Those pictures are stock basic. I've upgraded the important parts.

I regards to the brakes they are Shimano Deore XT M8100 brakes with same XT 203mm rotors front and back. Surely thats good enough. The system is 2nd from the top in their model line up.

What would you recommend? And how would they be better than the above? Thanks

Last edited:

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
On his brakes, it looks like his picture shows single piston, but in his description he indicates XT 4-pot's. He'll probably be fine with XT 4-pot's, but he can always change them later if necessary and sell those XT's if they don't pan out.

I'd like to have his motor in my Trek Rail 7, as I have a decent respect for Bafang motors, having lived with a BBSHD in a 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit for some time. Power can be dialed back on most Bafang's that I'm aware of to suit the rider's preference. I'm liking the Bosch motor in my Rail, but I wouldn't mind a little more power. But I'm also a dirt motorcycle guy, so there's that. People are different.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
That was my thinking in choosing the Bafang. Better to have more power that can be dialled back, than want for power that isn't there.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Sorry, was referring to a carbon fiber seat post.

I regards to the brakes they are Shimano Deore XT M8100 brakes with same XT 203mm rotors front and back. Surely thats good enough. The system is 2nd from the top in their model line up.

What would you recommend? And how would they be better than the above? Thanks
Good enough depends on your riding. Your bike will weigh over 15lbs more than a modern downhill bike and possibly go as fast (it's got enough suspension to do so) so you need the strongest breaks. Shimano Saints, sram code or Maven (Maven supposedly stronger but I've been running codes fine for years), Magura MT7 and possibly other vendors. Get the strongest brakes (no need for the lightest like XTR).
If you don't have experience with any of these, all would be a safe bet but I'd go with sram Mavens with 200mm rotor front and rear.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Good enough depends on your riding. Your bike will weigh over 15lbs more than a modern downhill bike and possibly go as fast (it's got enough suspension to do so) so you need the strongest breaks. Shimano Saints, sram code or Maven (Maven supposedly stronger but I've been running codes fine for years), Magura MT7 and possibly other vendors. Get the strongest brakes (no need for the lightest like XTR).
If you don't have experience with any of these, all would be a safe bet but I'd go with sram Mavens with 200mm rotor front and rear.
I have the impression that most people who have used Code including me are not happy with them and the new Maven are indisputably powerful, but some don't like them due to some feel they got a hard freestroke but I got them and love them.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
Each to their own but I’d much rather buy a decent used bike for around the same price.
I get what your saying and if I bide my time, I could probably grab a bargain. However it is difficult as most people that have bought new for £7-10k, don't usually drop it all the way down to £2.5k and if they do then most likely it's heavily used and the parts will need changing soon.

Also the single biggest factor that made me go down this route was the Bafang motor with its extra power on tap. Due to the regulations, all the UK bikes come with 250w only.

So ended up speccing my own.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
I have the impression that most people who have used Code including me are not happy with them and the new Maven are indisputably powerful, but some don't like them due to some feel they got a hard freestroke but I got them and love them.
I'm looking at the prices but they are all over the place. Which of these recommended brakes are closely priced to the full brake set of the XT M8100.

I still got time to change them if need be.

Last edited:

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
If XT M8100 4-pot brakes with a 203mm disc (especially if you go the Ice-tech route and have finned pads), are insufficient, then I don't want to ride that trail. :giggle:
Phew! For a second I thought I didn't have enough stopping power. :p

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I realise that and have asked the factory to set lockout modes at 150W, 250W, 500W & 1000W. So that when riding on the streets, I can lock it in at 250W, but when on private land, can unlock it to 1000W. ;)
1000W your drivetrain will implode quickly lol. ebikes are still using frail mtb components for drivetrains unfortanately. we either need thick steel chains and sprockets or belt driven eventually.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Phew! For a second I thought I didn't have enough stopping power. :p
im using shimano mt 420 brakes. there cheap versions of 4 piston shimanos. There reliable though and non-servo. touring style levers or 'moto' lol. I had to upgrade the discs and the pads otherwise I just roasted them.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Hi All,

Newbie here.:)

Just getting back into biking after decades and learning about all the new stuff thats come out since. Am 40+ and looking to get a bit adventurous with some trails, XC and eventually downhill.

First thing I noticed was "GEEZ! Bikes have gone expensive!" and "OMG! These EMTB cost same as a used car nowadays!". o_O

So when looking at standard full suspension MTBs, the cheapest were coming in at around £1200, and most were over £2000. But the EMTB's were way too expensive as my budget was around £2k. But I felt to future proof my purchase; I should look at EMTBs.

After many months I finally got in contact with a EMTB bike company in china to custom build my new bike using hand picked components.

I've just finished the design and component selection but its still to be built. Therefore I've come here to ask for some pro help with the frame and components chosen for the price, as even used EMTB's are not going to be this good at this price. And whether I'm missing something with my build.

So here goes, the spec:

-17.5 inch Full carbon fiber frame
-Rockshox Domain Gold RC3 front fork with 160mm travel (Latest with the new Isolator design)
-Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Air RC2T rear shock 160mm travel
-Carbon Dropper seat post and handlebar switch
-Carbon Riser Handlebars
-Bafang M620 48v 1000w mid motor (1500w peak)
-Bafang set controller
-APT 860C color display
-Shimano Deore XT M8100 brakes 4 piston with 203mm rotors front and back
-Shimano Deore XT M8100 gear system
-Maxxis REKON M349 29*2.6 tire
-LG 48V 17.5AH lithium battery (840 Wh)
-3A charger
-Standard Hubs, Seat, Grips and Pedals (I'll upgrade them locally once I receive the bike as quite a few bargain sales going on)

View attachment 143194
View attachment 143195
View attachment 143196

View attachment 143197

View attachment 143198
I have learnt a bit about MTBs, shocks, motors, batteries etc. and come up with this build. However my knowledge of what makes a good frame geometry is next to nothing.

Therefore could you be so kind as to go over the components and geometry numbers to see if this is a decent enough build for the price of $3000 delivered and customs taxes paid (DDP). I know chinese carbon frames are a game of roulette, however I do business in China and therefore had one of my local engineers go into the factory and confirm all is good and excellent quality. So fingers crossed. Don't want to get into the china stuff is crap debate.

Interesting thing I came across is the frame design, seems the same as the carbon frame used by Simplon bikes for their EMTB's. You can tell from the cutout design at the head under the handlebars and overall geometry:

Simplon Rapcon Pmax Pinion EMTB

Also what colour combo would you guys go for?

I'm leaning towards main colour Pearlescent White, with gold where its black in the above pictures. I have asked them to paint the seat post and handle bars same gold colour. So hopefully it will look closer to something similar to this:

View attachment 143201

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and if there is anything that you would change or I need to double check, upgrade.

Many thanks for all the help in advance. :giggle:
the bike looks good but it depends what type of terrain you ride. If its just xc and typical trails its perfectly fine. I bought a dh oriented ebike and I broke the cranks, the wheels, and had to upgrade the brakes. besides that its held up pretty good. I blew up the rear wheel after about 5 rides.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
I will be starting off with trails, XC with some very simple climbs and DH. Once I've got used to the setup and some experience and miles, I will begin getting adventurous. ;)

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
I'm guessing the overall build is fine as no one has come out and totally destroyed any of the components.

I selected the Rockshox Domain Gold RC as it is 38mm and more solid making it perfect for emtb and DH riding.

Will the 160mm front and rear travel be enough for the moment?

juggernaut

Mar 31, 2023
Australia
1000W your drivetrain will implode quickly lol. ebikes are still using frail mtb components for drivetrains unfortanately. we either need thick steel chains and sprockets or belt driven eventually.
He’ll be fine. I’m running a 60 volt version of the Bafang m620 and the sram drivetrain has been faultless so far.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
He’ll be fine. I’m running a 60 volt version of the Bafang m620 and the sram drivetrain has been faultless so far.
Thank god for that! :giggle:

60 volt! Have you tuned it? Apparently the motors good for 2000w over tune. Especially with the metal gear update over the plastic one they had before.

What kind of max speed you getting?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Can I ask a question as to why you went down the M620 route ? There are more alternative frames if you use the M560 motor which is not far short in the Watts stakes with quite a big chunk in weight saving. If you go even further and use the M510 motor, then you could reduce battery size to something like the 720Wh batteries we are seeing on most branded bikes. Weight of the bike is not so important if you are planning just on trail riding and hooning about on the throttle. But do be aware that you will lift that bike over and around far more objects than you would suspect. The M620 physically is a big bulgy out front motor, the frame you have chosen is a big bulgy at every point frame. That setup is going to be pretty much a point and power bike rather than the nimble all rounder you are wanting for XC.

Will 203mm suffice, sorry not likely on the big beastie that you are planning, just go to 220mm front rotors from the start, most branded bikes have headed that way.

Abizzle55

Jul 2, 2024
UK
Power freak! :p :ROFLMAO:

I understand what you are saying, that's why I tried offsetting the motor weight by going for a full carbon frame, carbon handle bars, carbon seat post and some high end brakes for stopping power. I was limited in budget so had to sacrifice on the front fork.

However bang for buck, thought the Domain Gold RC was a good starting point. Less service, Big and burly to take some punishment and a good match for the heavier EMTBs. But whatever I saved on the carbon probably got used up on the front fork.

Some of the top manufacturers are loitering around 21-23kg for their mid to to high end EMTB bikes, but with a lighter, smaller, less powerful motor.

If I can get anywhere close to that weight with the M620 and RS Domain on board, I think I'd class that as a win, no? Or would you say it has to be even lighter than 20kg?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles