Got a Question: Why did you buy the Specific bike you bought?

OnlySendsMTB

Aug 3, 2024
St. Louis Missouri
I'll start. I own an Orbea Rise H15 medium size.

4 years ago I was riding a 26" 2000 Santa Cruz Bullit. On one of our trips to Bentonville AR we decided to rent E-bikes for a day...you know, just to try them out...see what all the hubbub was all about.

We rented Trek Rail 7s and I was IMMEDIATELY a better rider. I was able to corner faster and clear jumps easily that I had been struggling with on my 26er.

I wasn't in the market for a multi thousand dollar Eeb but I wanted that feeling so I looked up the Geo and Sizing for the Trek I had rented. I found that a Marin Rift Zone that I could afford was so close as not to matter. I bought one as soon as my LBS could get one in (remember supply chain issues?).

Later, we came into a windfall of money and my GF was eager for us to get Eebs. We again made several trips to Bentonville and rented different EMTBs while there. Including the Marin Alpine Trail E1 (was a LOT of fun and fast!) and the Orbea Rise H30.

The Orbea felt just like my Marin Rift Zone and after checking the GEO and Size I found it to be an uncanny match...And after riding ALL day on the Orbea, putting it on a bike rack was MUCH easier than any of the full power Eebs.

But alas, there were so few bikes available anywhere. It still took months to find a small Rise for her and when I did, it was at a shop 4 hour away. So I called the shop to be sure it was indeed in stock and drove up the next day to buy hers.

There were no mediums listed on their website as available, but when we got there they had a medium H15 upgraded with the XTR brakes and Kashima fork and shock. And for some reason they were both on sale.

Sold!

And that's why we ride Orbea Rise Eebs.

Oppa

Mar 22, 2024
Rhode Island
Been a road biker my entire life, 2 older boys have been after me to try MTB. Turned 70 so don’t have the legs I use to and decided to go eMTB. Wanted a bit of assist, light weight and a bike that doesn’t look like a tank on the trails. Purchased an Orbea Rise M10 9/23. Haven’t been on my road bike since 1700miles and counting. Love the bike.

Last edited:

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
It’s cool that you and girlfriend got his and hers! My husband and I did the same.

I wanted a lightweight e-MTB.

I was between an Orbea Rise, the new (at the time) Trek Fuel EXe or waiting for the new Specialized Levo SL that never arrived (that year).

I originally decided to go with an Orbea Rise. Even though it’d been 4 months since Orbea launched their 2023 models, they could not tell my LBS if/when he could get the one for the (whole) year…

My other LBS could order the new Fuel EXe for me, sight unseen. It would be here in 4 months. It arrived in 2 months. I was impressed.

Originally my husband did not want one (“I don’t need one”) but even if you’re fit, it’s hard to keep up with an e-bike, hehe. I convinced him to get one and he loves it!

It’s been more than 2 years and we’re still super happy with the bikes.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wife and I riding MTBs (Trek Fuel EXs) far more frequently in lockdown, was one of the unrestricted things we in the UK could do. Going up steeper and steeper hills for fun downhill became increasingly harder for her (over 60) and me (over 70). So having a Trek LBS and in the past always riding Trek in January 2022 bought 2 x Rail 5's. The start of the slippery upgrade route.

Used to ride 2 x Aprilia SXV 550 Supermotos but they are in the garage waiting for new owners, unused since the eMTBs joined them.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Had to have a Bosch motor.
Had to have the best spec at the price point I could afford.
Cube action team ticked both those boxes.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
I was riding a Levo SL and was getting left behind by my son and wife on their full powered bikes

I had been eyeing up the bike I bought for a while as it was reduced by 15%

Headed to the local LBS to see what they had available, but they didnt have my size, I did get to see the bike in the flesh and test rode the size down to see how I liked it, ended up ordering the bike I had been eyeing up and collected it 3 days later

And now the upgrade process starts to get the bike exactly how I want it

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Medical reasons …period!

Been a roadie all my life. Collected different types and even a gravel bike. In 2019, pre-Covid, I was released from hospital after a 6 month stay and continued physiotherapy. My goal was to ride again.

My wife video’d my first attempt on my gravel bike, and during quiet time on our street. Success …sorta 😥. Even though I used the exercise bike for hours each day during physiotherapy …I was not prepared for real-world riding.

6 Months before my incident we had sold our house and purchased a new place at the base of Burke Mountain in Coquitlam BC. I had finished renovating the main parts of our new home and was ready to begin the tandem garage…a blank canvas. I designed a suitable layout and ordered necessary items. Great…ready to begin.

I was walking through the garage when suddenly an earthquake struck. I’ve never felt anything like this before. I aimed myself towards the man-door, after bouncing off the walls in a zig-zag pattern, and fell through the opening. That’s the last thing I remember for about 2 months. It wasn’t an earthquake…I had a stroke.

Certain decisions were made amongst my family during this time. It didn’t look good for me and very bleak for my family. The only movement from me was a series of lengthy grand-mal seizures. Unknowingly to me my wife was by my side daily and hourly.

My first recollection of anything was when I was being released from a body harness and crane. They were not gentle in removing the harness and I let out a few expletives. My wife ran into the room and my new journey was about to begin. Time to get busy. Learn to talk again, walk again, think again, understand again.

Selling off my analog bikes was surprisingly easy during Covid. Within a week all my road and gravel bikes were gone/sold. This made room for my first MTB …a 2020 Trek Rail 9.7. I added a few modifications to address my needs and hit the network of trails in our area.

Being one of the first, or few, eMTB rider in our area, I listen to the shouts of “CHEATER”. I resisted the urge to explain…except once when my wife was called a “cheater”. That matter was settled quickly by me. The two riders regretted their verbosity after my approach.

Things have changed a lot recently. On some days half the mtb’s on our mountain are eMTB’s. Everyone is starting to get along. 👍🏻

Oh yah!… My first eMTB right?🙄

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Having had troubles with my first bike, Shimano motor, I had a list to tick off with my next ebike.
It had to have a Bosch motor, reasonable size battery (625 or more), alloy frame, Shimano running gear and brakes as I have spares and are familiar with them, Fox suspension, same again, know how to mess about with them and either mullet or mullet capable as have played around with the first bike and like that set up.
End of financial year sales where on and the bike was heavily reduced so ended up with a top of the range Focus Sam.
My only criticism would be it's a couple of kgs too heavy, mind you, once rolling you don't feel it.
I recently watched a youtube by Ed Masters (Ed Bull Media) where he was weighing all the eebs that are competing in the UCI world championship this season and they were nearly all around the 25-26kg mark.
So very similar weight to mine. It is an ebike afterall and love that planted feeling when hurtling downhill. Just my 2 cents worth though and everyone is different and what suits one...

HandsomeDanNZ

Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
I did so much research!
Been riding a 2011 (heavily modified/upgraded) analogue Giant Reign SX and wanted something that could give me a similar experience, but with a motor.
I have a few knee and hip issues and really suffer for a few days after a big ride, so was always going to go electric, eventually.
Thought about going to a trail bike as opposed to an enduro, but really wanted to be able to tackle bigger days of tech and jumps if I wanted, so trail bikes were largely put to one side.

In the end I had a list of:
Merida e160
Scott Ransom eRide
Polygon N8e
Spesh Levo Comp Alloy

All were on sale for near the same price, except for the Levo - was slightly more expensive.
In the end I went with the Merida because it rode like an electrified version of what I already had, looked great, has decent dealer backup and was well specced for the price - oh and it was heavily discounted (roughly 40% off in the end).

So here I am.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I wanted a Shimano EP600 or EP801, combined with a Shimano 630Wh battery, so I could add Shimano Di2 shifting for Free Shift and Auto Shift. I can get Shimano spares pretty cheaply from lots of stores nearby.

Settled on the Merida e160 700 and the EP600 motor mostly due to price, and feel of the bike. LBS sold it nearly $3K off retail, as the new e160s were coming out.

I have upgraded the transmission to Di2. I'll upgrade the motor to EP801, when/if the EP6 fails.

Whilst you hope for no failures. You'll ride harder without anxiety that you will break something, knowing you can access spares easily and cheaply.

There's lots of stupid social media focus on Torque numbers and weights. If you can. Test ride the bike, see what it feels like in the terrain you ride. I have never felt more comfortable in the air, and on technical descends, on my bike. And that was the most important factor for me, not weight and torque.

Technical descends and getting airborne is where you can really hurt yourself on an EMTB. That's why these factors are crucial to me. I love technical climbing, but failure to climb doesn't normally end in blood being spilt, or a hospital visit ....... 😉

Oh BTW. I haven't mentioned suspension, only because most brands run the same sorts of suspension. I'm running hi spec Fox and Marzocchi. Rock Shox would also be fine. But don't skimp on suspension.

Last edited:

HandsomeDanNZ

Jun 16, 2024
Auckland NZ
I wanted a Shimano EP600 or EP801, combined with a Shimano 630Wh battery, so I could add Shimano Di2 shifting for Free Shift and Auto Shift. I can get Shimano spares pretty cheaply from lots of stores nearby.

Settled on the Merida e160 700 and the EP600 motor mostly due to price, and feel of the bike. LBS sold it nearly $3K off retail, as the new e160s were coming out.

I have upgraded the transmission to Di2. I'll upgrade the motor to EP801, when/if the EP6 fails.

Whilst you hope for no failures. You'll ride harder without anxiety that you will break something, knowing you can access spares easily and cheaply.

There's lots of stupid social media focus on Torque numbers and weights. If you can. Test ride the bike, see what it feels like in the terrain you ride. I have never felt more comfortable in the air, and on technical descends, on my bike. And that was the most important factor for me, not weight and torque.

Technical descends and getting airborne is where you can really hurt yourself on an EMTB. That's why these factors are crucial to me. I love technical climbing, buy failure to climb doesn't normally end in blood being spilt, or a hospital visit ....... 😉

Oh BTW. I haven't mentioned suspension, only because most brands run the same sorts of suspension. I'm running hi spec Fox and Marzocchi. Rock Shox would also be fine. But don't skimp on suspension.
I'm curious as to how different it is running Di2 as opposed to plain old cable-actuated XT.
Does freeshift and autoshift really make that much difference?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I'm curious as to how different it is running Di2 as opposed to plain old cable-actuated XT.
Does freeshift and autoshift really make that much difference?
Free Shift and Auto Shift are handy when you are on a cruisy ride. But when you riding technical terrain, you really want to choose the gear yourself. So not really a huge bonus.

But where the Di2 is really beneficial is the shifting while you are coasting. You can shift in situations where you cannot rotate the pedals, like leaning over in a corner, and the motor will spool the chainwheel and shift gears. Other situations where it works well, is if you'll rock strike and you want to shift, and if you are trying to keep your pedals level for balance and you want to shift. Having to rotate your pedals, always creates I slight wobble, as you shift your weight. So being able to just flat pedal and shift without pedal rotation can help.

What I've noticed, is that I'm now more likely to have the bike in a better gear, because it so easy and fast to select. This gives you more speed out of corners, the ability to change your mind on gearing mid corner, and the ability to change gears in the middle of a really technical climbing section.

The other benefits is how fast the shifts are, especially when needing to shift several gears really quick. It's so fast and crisp. Then the last benefit of the never needing to adjust the gears. Once you have set them up. There is no cable stretch or increased cable resistance, requiring maintenance. Just perfect shifting every time.

I would rate adding Di2 shifting to the Shimano motor as probably the best upgrade I've made to the EMTB. I definitely shift more often, compared to when I had the cable system, because of the ease and speed.

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Easy i went to buy a Mondraker crafty put down the deposit and waited months
I got in touch with the bike shop and they did not have an end to the wait so they did a great deal on a Trek rail
Went and picked it up and the rest is history
Still want a Mondraker thou so it will be my next bike eventually maybe LOL.

Letteredrock

Sep 6, 2024
North Carolina
One of my riding partners has an ebike. He did tons of research and decided on an Orbea Rise. It later had a problem and they did a great job with the warranty work. I now have a knee problem that needs a lot of time and I decided to get an ebike to keep up with the group and also take pressure off my knee on steep climbs. I trusted his research and liked the way he got treated when there was a problem. So I got an Orbea Rise. I wish I had gotten one years ago. I might not have ever developed the knee issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles