Gen 4 Rebuild by with pics

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hello. I have same issue. Which type of seal for the torque tube did you use?. I cant find anything that fits well with 21,5mm shaft and 25.5mm tube. My motor is taken apart right now and i basically got everything except the right seal. Tried to fit multiple seals without any good effect unfortunatelly.
This is why something that looks very simple on these motors never is! As @Spiff said, we actually had these seals manufactured. They are also made from a low friction material to stop motor or pedal drag.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
This is why something that looks very simple on these motors never is! As @Spiff said, we actually had these seals manufactured. They are also made from a low friction material to stop motor or pedal drag.
Haha... so what you are saying is that a DIY motor rebuild is possible but your results may vary due to the availability of tools, parts and experience? In the end, are these motors pretty good, better than others or great if the rattle and seals are dealt with?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
The outcome of any rebuild on anything is definitely in the hands of experience. Personally, after what I have seen over the years, I don't really recommend anyone without a sound mechanical background to attempt a motor repair. I do like to see people repairing their own stuff though. I just can't help feeling that some people are best repairing motors, and some repairing socks 😄

The Bosch Gen 4 is a pretty good motor and there are many out there running after many thousands of miles... But the same is true of most motors, and every one of them has an Achilles heal. Some can be made a little better than others.

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
any way to remove the back pedal clicking / ratchet noises on the bosch? its the one thing that does drive me nutty :)
I don't think there is any escaping that short of packing a bunch of grease around the rachet but It wouldn't last long and would potentially make engagement ununreliable. After seeing how narrow the bush is id suggest not backpedalling them if you can avoid it.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I don't think there is any escaping that short of packing a bunch of grease around the rachet but It wouldn't last long and would potentially make engagement ununreliable. After seeing how narrow the bush is id suggest not backpedalling them if you can avoid it.
The support bushes are the plastic ones. Our metal bush is just to add further longevity to the plastic bushes. So back pedal all you want 🙂

Robson

Subscriber
Aug 8, 2023
Finland
Sorry, we don't sell this seal because the motor must be fully stripped to fit it and a special tool is required. You could contact your local partner here: Where To Buy - eBike Motor Centre (Performance Line Bearings)
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they don't seem to be in business anymore. (Smhj investment)
I have 20+ years of mechanical experience and In my work we use all type of seals on daily basis. So manufacturing a tool or stripping the motor won't be an issue. (I believe)
If stripping + the tool is the only reason for not selling the parts could you make an exception in this case?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles