Frame re spray

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Never loved my bikes colour and its had a few knocks and scrapes, so good reason to get a re spray. Anyone had an e bike done and if so where.. .. Iv had a few manual bikes done in the past, one ended up with a hole in after a harsh shot blasting process ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I had mine Powdercoated, and had probably about 5 or so other bikes powdercoated in the past with no issue - important you plug all the threads and holes correctly first though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I got my grandson's bike done (the one that Rob bought for his daughter earlier this year).

I stripped it of all the components, rubbed it down, blocked all the holes etc.

Then took it to the local "hole in the wall" paint shop, which is a one man band outfit. I had taken the bike to him before and told him want I was prepared to do and he quoted me £100. I wanted an ordinary car paint with touch up kits available from Halfords. The boy chose Audi Laser Red. When I picked it up he told me that he wouldn't do another at that price, not without buying smaller nozzles for his paint spray gun! He lost a lot of paint to the walls of his workshop.

I took it to him because the plastic paint dipper operation (only £80) which I had planned to use required an oven bake at 180degC as part of the process. The rear triangle on the bike was carbon fibre bonded to the rest of the aluminium alloy frame and I had no confidence that zero harm would occur to either the CF or the bonded joint.

Prices are four years old.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Meanwhile many powder coaters will strip/dip/blast the original paintwork, block the holes/threads for you prep and powder coat an Aluminium or steel frame in any popular colour for less than £50 all in.

prices 1 minute old

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Meanwhile many powder coaters will strip/dip/blast the original paintwork, block the holes/threads for you prep and powder coat an Aluminium or steel frame in any popular colour for less than £50 all in.

prices 1 minute old
That's great! Do you know what can be done for CF frames?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Be aware that repainting your frame could affect your warranty.

For example, my Powerfly and Rail both have the frame number on a barcode sticker on the downtube that states "Warranty Void if removed".

Whilst it would be possible to repaint the frame without damaging the sticker I wouldn't chance it.

Wrapping the frame could well be a safer option, but considerably more expensive.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I used a product called spraybike. It is kinda like a powdercoating in a can, as in you spray it 50mms from the frame & it dries pretty quickly. Pretty easy to do & no runs with it & touch ups easy peasy. Been on about 6mnths & there are some chips (even the trek paint underneath has chipped off a bit)& rubbing through from the rack but I'm not too worried as it is easy to touch up if required.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Be aware that repainting your frame could affect your warranty.

For example, my Powerfly and Rail both have the frame number on a barcode sticker on the downtube that states "Warranty Void if removed".

Whilst it would be possible to repaint the frame without damaging the sticker I wouldn't chance it.

Wrapping the frame could well be a safer option, but considerably more expensive.
I just masked the sticker.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Cheers all, I have checked a decent local powder coaters and its about £145 for the 2 piece frame and rocker. I did have a £50 job a few years ago, this was the one that ended up with a small hole in my frame. Bike is a mondraker, its 3 years old in april, was thinking of getting it done around then as winter slop fest will be near an end... Not sure how long warrenty is on frame, will check.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’ve just had this one done as a reverb project £60

6753B6D9-F8FF-488D-86D4-38D902C8498A.jpeg

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I'd just strip and polish a 3yr old Alu Mondy. They're heavy enough without adding powdercoat ?
You know what, that was my first idea, polished.... Watched a few vids on stripping and it looked a ball ache... It could do with loosing a few pounds, maybe a helping shotblast may help!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've stripped and polished a few frames in my time.
It's not hard. Just time consuming. If stripping the paint yourself you need to get hold of proper industrial grade stripper it's illegal to sell it over the counter now but it can still be found on your favourite bidding site.
A few years since I've done one but here's the last frame I did
DSC_0284.jpg

Last edited:

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Nice, may give it ago.... The vids on you tube really struggled with nitromors and another brand...
Did you have a sand the frame much?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. Not really.
notromors is utterly pointless nowadays. I used Starchem Synstryp paint stripper. google it and you should find 5l containers for about £25. you won't need more than 2l even for a stubborn frame but it's still probably cheaper to buy a large container.
How easily the paint comes off will depend on the number of coats your frame has, quality of paint and whether or not it's stove enamelled.
once stripped I used a polishing compound and buffing attachment on an electric drill and dremell.
It took me a couple nights including stripping the parts/bike. But I was in no particualr rush.
You could have your frame chemically stripped or blasted. either way if you want a polished finish you'll still need to buff it.
Rebuffing is required periodically. but just 20 mins every 6 months to a year if you look after it when washing etc.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
No. Not really.
notromors is utterly pointless nowadays. I used Starchem Synstryp paint stripper. google it and you should find 5l containers for about £25. you won't need more than 2l even for a stubborn frame but it's still probably cheaper to buy a large container.
How easily the paint comes off will depend on the number of coats your frame has, quality of paint and whether or not it's stove enamelled.
once stripped I used a polishing compound and buffing attachment on an electric drill and dremell.
It took me a couple nights including stripping the parts/bike. But I was in no particualr rush.
You could have your frame chemically stripped or blasted. either way if you want a polished finish you'll still need to buff it.
Rebuffing is required periodically. but just 20 mins every 6 months to a year if you look after it when washing etc.
Sounds do able... I did have a Trek remedy, off a mate that came polished I really like the look. Thanks, project for spring, or maybe sooner whilst the weather bad.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have gone over all of the evidence and your implications are entirely correct.
I took an absolutely reckless chance that when the OP asked where R120 got his frame powder coated, his frame wouldn't be Carbon.
Lock me up and throw away the key m'lud

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
That is why I went for spray painting.

What about hydro dipping....

Never looked into for push bike stuff but they can pretty much do anything and any colour / pattern you like.

I’d guess similar cost to wrap but not sure durability.

Certainly different effects to spray paint

lumr002

Sep 11, 2020
Honolulu, Hawaii
Here's another option in a spray can. Go to your hardware store or even Walmart and pick up a can of appliance paint. Only comes in black, white, and tan. If you've never tried it, appliance paint applies easily, flows to a very smooth finish, has great coverage, and is a very nick proof paint. Dries overnight. Granted you don't get much color choice but you will get a nice finish.I've done this on some frames and front shocks and I got really good results.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles