Ergon SM-E Core Prime saddle crash

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I had a bad crash yesterday which put me over a steep drop into a canyon. Luckily, I had minor scrapes and bruises but my new seat didn't fair so well.
Have a look at the back rail, it has popped out of the base and I haven't had any luck putting it back in ! Im open to any suggestions or ideas how to get it back in. Removing the cover screw at the top doesn't do anything. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

IMG_6562.jpeg IMG_6563.jpeg IMG_6564.jpeg

LautSprecher

Jun 2, 2024
Germany
๐Ÿ˜ฑ It's only a week old ๐Ÿ˜•
Sad. But Safety should be priority number one. In case you get it back in place you do not know if the steel is weakened and will burst In a riding situation you do not want to burst it.
Ever had a plain rod in yourโ€ฆ.? ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜€ but maybe your right, some people pay 50 bucks to experience that. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Sad. But Safety should be priority number one. In case you get it back in place you do not know if the steel is weakened and will burst In a riding situation you do not want to burst it.
Ever had a plain rod in yourโ€ฆ.? ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜€ but maybe your right, some people pay 50 bucks to experience that. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘
Haha $50 is one thing but on this side of the Pond the seat is over $200 ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The rail will not be weakened but the only way I can see of getting it back into that rear rear locating point is to cut that location hole open and then using something like araldite to fix the part cut off back on. Providing whatever glue you use holds it should be OK but I would subject it to some rigourous testing before riding with it.
Your only alternative is to see if you can get a refund from either the shop you bought it from or Ergon themselves. Maybe try that route first!!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
The rail will not be weakened but the only way I can see of getting it back into that rear rear locating point is to cut that location hole open and then using something like araldite to fix the part cut off back on. Providing whatever glue you use holds it should be OK but I would subject it to some rigourous testing before riding with it.
Your only alternative is to see if you can get a refund from either the shop you bought it from or Ergon themselves. Maybe try that route first!!
Mike my question is how do they get the rail in there to begin with ? There has to be a way...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume the rails are inserted in the rear holders first then the front secured with a plate bolted on......and probably also bonded. If you have taken the screw out at the front I suspect the plate holding the front down stayed in place...meaning it is bonded on.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would put the rail in a bench vice and then try and manoeuvre the seat to get the rail back in its hole.
I think that would break the dual plastic shells of the seat or at least the way they are bonded together. The Ergon saddles have a 2 year warranty and cof course crash damage is not covered but I doubt Ergon would accept that a rail should just escape its holder............so worth a try at warranty replacement.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well here's the official reply from Ergon:

"Thank you for your message. Sorry, you will not be able to reinsert the rail. The saddle has been damaged and must be fully replaced."

US Customer Service

Drats... ๐Ÿ˜•
thanks for everyone's responses ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

"Thank you for your message. Sorry, you will not be able to reinsert the rail. The saddle has been damaged and must be fully replaced."

US Customer Service

Drats... ๐Ÿ˜•
thanks for everyone's responses ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Isnโ€™t there a distribution or manufacturing plant in Port Coquitlam?
I called them years ago for the new Ergon SM Core. At the time they said it wasnโ€™t available yet. 6 months later I bought one from a LBS.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I would have at least expected Ergon to offer you a crash replacement discount. In my experience, the discounted price is above wholesale, so it's not as if they're loosing any money. They don't loose money, and they get customer loyalty. But clearly that's not their goal.

Mike suggested you remove the screw under the nose of the saddle. Did you try that? It looks like fixing the rail would be a five minute job.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
You know guys , the more I think about this the more concerned i'm getting....
What would have happened if both of the rails came off and I ended up ontop the ends ! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ I'm thinking now that this is a very dangerous design flaw and I'm reconsidering getting another one at any price. This seat only had a couple rides on it. The top surface isn't even scratched or scuffed. Ergon offered nothing except their opinion. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles