emtb raising rear wheel / bunny hop

oferlaor

Jun 7, 2024
Israel
I am trying to improve my technique. I have no problem bouncing, pumping or jumping (not an expert), but I can't seem to bounce my rear wheel. I load the rear suspension and move my weight forward while lowering the pedals, but nothing...

I'm on a lightweight (<20kg) emtb - the Orbea Rise. I'm wondering if the weight and build of it might be blocking or preventing me from doing this.

I ride with flat pedals.

Bob88

Jul 29, 2022
Hampshire
It's technique. I have a 26kg full squish full power emtb and can bunny hop it over a foot on the flat if I needed to. The lift to the rear wheel is generated from your feet pulling the rear wheel up by the pedals. To do this you angle your feet 45 degrees downwards and pull up and back. Try it against a wall. When you get it, then ride and lift the front. When the front is up then lift the back to bunny hop.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
It's technique. I have a 26kg full squish full power emtb and can bunny hop it over a foot on the flat if I needed to. The lift to the rear wheel is generated from your feet pulling the rear wheel up by the pedals. To do this you angle your feet 45 degrees downwards and pull up and back. Try it against a wall. When you get it, then ride and lift the front. When the front is up then lift the back to bunny hop.
What he says ^^^^ its the pushing into the pedal while lifting your feet is the main bit
Practice make perfect you wont even think about it once mastered (y)

Last edited:

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I am trying to improve my technique. I have no problem bouncing, pumping or jumping (not an expert), but I can't seem to bounce my rear wheel. I load the rear suspension and move my weight forward while lowering the pedals, but nothing...

I'm on a lightweight (<20kg) emtb - the Orbea Rise. I'm wondering if the weight and build of it might be blocking or preventing me from doing this.

I ride with flat pedals.
with the right technique you could bunny hop a 50kg bike. just go practice on the street hopping up curbs and stuff.
i bunny hop over logs often. its just another bmx type of skill to learn. even on a 100kg dirt bike you can bunny hop too.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I'll agree with bob, but with the previso that he must be a bunny hopping legend. I am not bad at bunny hopping but find my 26kg bike a handful to bunny hop. Just keep plugging away on the technique. If you have an mtb, practice on that then bring it too the E.

On a side note for small high speed things to clear often times i do like a suspension compression bounce first into a small bunnyhop. And the rebound from the bounce can make it easier to lift and hop the bike.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
You need to get the front wheel higher than you think, and on a long heavy ebike this can be pretty hard. You want to be almost to the balance point of a wheelie but with your body still slightly ahead of the rear axle.
The best way to learn the basic technique is to get a fully rigid (or hardtail with forks locked out) small bike and learn on that first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles