Petition to raise UK ebike limit to match the USA 20mph.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
I voted for him , he's turned out to be, as people said .... a self interested buffoon. If the best plan to get the limit raised, is enlisting his help, you guys had better prepare for disappointment. He will be less use than the petition, he can't even use a comb.

I'm going round cannock tomorrow, I really don't understand why you need another 5 miles an hour , or where you could use it for that matter.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I really don't understand why you need another 5 miles an hour , or where you could use it for that matter.

Cycleways.jpg

Really? None?
So maintain some ill-conceived & unproven safety benefit for e-mtb's at the expense of restricting what's achievable with commuter bikes with more reasonable speed limits, therefore obviously more effectively replace countless emission spewing 2 tonne chunks of metal? Refuse to consider the returns in reducing congestion, air pollution, obesity & many other health related issues?

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Is there a new alternative definition for the word "pragmatic" I don't know about?

checking urban dictionary came up blank. But search for "Boris" and there are plenty new definitions. ?
Without passing any judgement, it is a curious and dubious sign of these bi-polar hyper-political times that the definition of a word can be spun upside-down then widely comprehended whichever way depending on the political objective so eg. failure isn't failure - it's pragmatic.

"You're such a Boris" into the lexicon then.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
View attachment 37463

Really? None?
So maintain some ill-conceived & unproven safety benefit for e-mtb's at the expense of restricting what's achievable with commuter bikes with more reasonable speed limits, therefore obviously more effectively replace countless emission spewing 2 tonne chunks of metal? Refuse to consider the returns in reducing congestion, air pollution, obesity & many other health related issues?
That's the city of London, we are talking about Emtbs, not road electric bikes. Now if you want to start a petition for electric bikes for commuting in cities to be raised that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

If you want to do this you need to set up a proper lobbying organisation, and get all the numerous interested bodies involved, this conceivably will have some effect and could turn out positive.

A back of the fag packet petition, with no backing is useless.

hey ho , just my stupid opinion.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Things like this, "petitions" and "derestricting ebikes" and similar, will cause that some day we will be forbidden to ride emtb in natural environment like forests, mountain paths ... EMTB will became motors. Registration, driver licence, etc.. If you want to go faster, build up your fitness or even buy yourself a moped and stop with cycling, its too slow for you.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Maybee makes more sense to have/ask for a smoth transition over speed limit . Rise speed limits could be more sensible.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Having regulations for UK eMTBs different from the EU will be problematic though, won't it? It then becomes illegal to ride your bike in France on your hols, for example.

Last edited:

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
If you need to go faster for commuting and want less effort than riding today's ebikes, buy (and license and insure) a moped.

If you want to go faster for commuting, and are happy with much less effort than a normal bike, buy an ebike.

If you don't mind about the effort, but still want to go fast, buy a road bike.

It seems to me like we have plenty of options already...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles