• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

E bikes stands

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
Hey guys , what stand do you use to do work on your E bikes? I have a workshop stand but it can't cope with the weight (24 kgs) . I've tried taking the battery out but due to the sloping top tube on my cube stereo the front wheel sags till it touches the ground. Seen some pics of stands that go under the motor etc(like my old mx bike stand , that I now wish I still had).
What's everyone use?
Cheers

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Use a Park Tool 10.3 and an older 9. Both can hold my Canyon Torque ON and Spectral ON. Also with the 900Wh battery installed.

Where the PT 10.3 is really sturdy ;-)

IMG_0651.jpeg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
You should be using a false cross bar with a carbon frame. Halfords sell them for £20

I use one with my cheap Amazon stand and it lifts the bike okay.
The park tool will be a lot better, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
He has a Cube stereo, which I believe has a carbon frame. If it's a pre 22 model it will have a kink in the top tube making it hard to balance the bike on a work stand.
Ideally you should avoid clamping onto a carbon frame to avoid cracking it.

Instead, use a false cross bar to bridge between the seat post and stem, this gives you a good point to clamp onto and you can adjust the weight to help level and balance the bike.

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
He has a Cube stereo, which I believe has a carbon frame. If it's a pre 22 model it will have a kink in the top tube making it hard to balance the bike on a work stand.

Instead, use a false cross bar to bridge between the seat post and stem, this gives you a good point to clamp onto and you can adjust the weight to help level and balance the bike.

Yes that's exactly the issue , the stand I have can't cope with the weight being biased forwards as it twists when you clamp the bike by the seat tube, can't clamp the top tube as like you say it's carbon and is has a trapezoidal cross section ( 2024 model stereo) so the clamp won't fit it anyway. Did look at these but was put off with the weight limit of 15 kgs, but I guess that's more to do with hanging the bike on a car rack using it.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I've seen people talking about these before. Been tempted to try one for my bike carrier to see if it makes it any easier when trying to get a clamping spot when I have 2 or 3 bikes on it. The linked one is only suitable for 15kg though - and the OP's bike is 24kg? Probably fine for a bike carrier where the wheels are on the ground, but maybe not so much if you're hanging the bike from it in a workstand?

I use a Feedback Pro stand for my bike, and it doesn't have any issue keeping the bike at the right angles as long as you tighten it enough.
I clamp my carbon frame by the seat post. No issues there. There have been several discussions on whether it's safe to clamp a bike by the extending bit of the dropper, and all the testing generally says yes. I've done it for about 10 years now, and never had an issue.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I have the Halfords one and it easily supports my 25+kg cube in a work stand.
It's pretty darn strong.
I've never used it to actually support a bike on a car though and maybe wouldn't trust it to hold the full weight of a ebike on a long journey.

With the cross bar I can raise the front or the rear of the bike in my generic Amazon stand without the wheels in.
With the added weight of the wheels it does struggle.

The cross bar also really helps when carrying the bike as you have a good place to hold onto.
For £20 it's well worth it, only down side is if you need to work on the forks or head set, then you need to think of another way to support the bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have a Park Tool stand that is a platform and the bike is held in a fork mount at one end . For a non ebike the BB sits on a sliding support with 2 prongs. I modified that support to accommodate the base of the motor on an emtb.
For general post ride cleaning and lubing I use a Halfords stand with a Halfords false crossbar. It's quick and easy and completely stable and fits both my bikes and my wife's bike. If I need to do a headset service I use a cheap set of drop handlebars in the clamp of the stand. It's not as stable as using the false crossbar but does the job.
I am not keen on using the dropper or indeed the frame (carbon or ally) to clamp. Even an ally top tube is designed to take compression force not vertical force.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a Park Tools bike stand, but rarely use it these days.

I bought one of these last year and it's great for 99% of maintenance. Very well made, sturdy and great for washing the bike and oiling the chain....

I've got one of these for washing / oiling too. It was about £30 off Amazon, and works great.
I've done some minor gear tuning and adjusting brakes etc in there, but use my Feedback Pro stand for any "real" work as it's more stable.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
I've been surprised that my portable Park stand and even the very lightweight, folding, aluminum stand...old RS3000 Minoura...seems to hold my Trek Rail 7 with all-coil suspension up just fine at the seatpost with wheels off the ground. I'm really surprised the Minoura stand worked as it really just considered a field stand. Maybe because it was actually made in Japan. 😄

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’ve been using the Park Tool 9.2 stand for several years now …but not without a fake cross bar for the carbon Rail 9.7.

IMG_7637.jpeg

I attach the fake bar under the stem and an extended Reverb dropper. (That’s important imo).As you can see in the photo, both wheels are suspended. The bar is easily positioned so the weight of the bike is not placed on the Reverb battery. This is reasonably stable and allows for regular maintenance. My bike lives here while the other bikes wait their turn in the Steady Rack “Spa”.

However, one morning when I entered the bike cave, I found my bike and the stand laying on the floor. The clamp on the Park Tool stand had slid and caused my precious bike to crash to the floor. (Nothing or no one was hurt, just my feelings for a few moments 😉). I tightened the clamp a bit more.

I added the small tool tray that attaches to the post later. I can hang the fake bar on it and place some tools and parts in it. I also charge the battery in this position.

The fake bar I use is a Saris. These bikes can be heavy and the fake bar helps distribute the weight between the stem and dropper. Takes about 7 seconds to mount my bike in this position. 🤷‍♂️

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Hey guys , what stand do you use to do work on your E bikes? I have a workshop stand but it can't cope with the weight (24 kgs) . I've tried taking the battery out but due to the sloping top tube on my cube stereo the front wheel sags till it touches the ground. Seen some pics of stands that go under the motor etc(like my old mx bike stand , that I now wish I still had).
What's everyone use?
Cheers
I use this one. Light Aluminum chassis. Sturdy enough. Easy to fold up and lean in a corner when not in use.

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
I have one bought from Aldi, easily supports the 3 ebikes we have here without issues

And seeing as it was cheap I am not bothered about keeping it outside all the time

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Oh man glad I read this

I got the same park tools 10.3 last month and it's amazing, but my cube 140 action team is a bit nose heavy when clamped by the seat post - I can get it level but it doesn't like it
Plus tbh clamping on the fancy factory seat post makes me cringe

I didn't even know that fake bar was a thing - off to pick one up tomorrow!

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Thanks for all the advice , went with the park 10.3 and the Halfords fake crossbar. My Concerns about the cross only being rated at 15 kgs ( when my cube is 24 ) were unfounded. The bar is beefy and takes the weight of the bike easily. Thanks again all , I can now maintain my bike properly View attachment 141536
I think that weight limit is mainly for when the bar is used for transport on certain types of vehicle carriers that utilize the bike's top tube...or in this case, the fake top tube bar. Used in a static bike stand, I don't think that limit is a concern.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
picked one up at lunch - it's certainly sturdy enough to pick the bike up by it with the battery in it, so I have no concerns about using it in a stand

fixes my biggest issue too - holding the bike up with one hand at 25kg whilst trying to clamp the seat tube lol
now I can put the grip on the stand horizontal, and just lift the bike fake crossbar into it then clamp it up all leisurely like

very nice!

spurty30

Apr 16, 2024
Cairngorms, Scotland
picked one up at lunch - it's certainly sturdy enough to pick the bike up by it with the battery in it, so I have no concerns about using it in a stand

fixes my biggest issue too - holding the bike up with one hand at 25kg whilst trying to clamp the seat tube lol
now I can put the grip on the stand horizontal, and just lift the bike fake crossbar into it then clamp it up all leisurely like

very nice!
Yup Phil my experience as well, much easier now 😁👍

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I collected the Halfords False Crossbar today and it looks and feels like a solid and well-made piece of kit. :love:

The trouble is that it doesn't fit my bike!

There is plenty of length adjustment, easy to do. The hooked ends are wide enough. It is obvious which end goes around the seat post and which the other end. The flip open side bits that allow you to hook over the tubes are solid and well-made as well. It's all looking good! :)

The end that goes around the stem is too thick to fit in the space under the bars and above the top of the head tube. I tried looking at it all sorts of ways, but there was no way I could make it fit without using a hacksaw.

So I'll be dropping back into Halfords tomorrow to get my money back. It's a good job I opened the packaging very carefully! :)

My wife is going to have to think of something else for Father's Day!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The trouble is that it doesn't fit my bike.

The end that goes around the stem is too thick to fit in the space under the bars and above the top of the head tube.
Not sure how many stem spacers you need for clearance or maybe the fake bar shape is wrong.

I use the Saris fake bar …maybe it’s slightly different?

IMG_7643.jpeg

IMG_7644.jpeg

IMG_7641.jpeg
You can see the number of stem spacers I have …and it just barely fits.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The Halfords one looks virtually identical to your Saris.
View attachment 141587

But I don't have three spacers under my stem. The end of the Falsie is mostly 23mm thick, but it increases to 30mm at the end.
The spacing between the top of the Knock-Block washer and the under side of the stem is 31mm.

They basically look the same.
Stem end.
IMG_7645.jpeg
Dropper end.
IMG_7646.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles