E bike... Alps

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Just makes sure you have lock tite on your bolts check tightening from time to time. Remove battery for chairlift days or at least for the uplifts, makes everyones day easier... or do crossfit so you can lift the e bike with one arm...:LOL:
other wise i was much faster with the e bike on the downs, close to my dh bike they are good fun and highly capable in the rooty sections of morzine....

223 rotors front and rear if you can ... braking will be key

Last edited:

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
My EMTB downhills very differently, with the battery out. I really don't like it. I don't feel the front wheel grips as well. And the suspension specifically mentions it's tuned for the EBike.

Take the battery out for the lifts. Carry it yourself on the lift. Put it back to ride down.

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
A 25kg e-bike Vs 14kg enduro, that's closer to 80% heavier.
An 11 kg difference when the rider is likely 85 kg + with kit is not much of a difference overall. Total braked weight might go from 100 kg to 111 kg. Certainly not enough to explain increased brake wear over all. I think the OP is right, much more likely to be an increased in carried speed because of the perceived stability of the bike. EDIT: as already pointed out by BSN above (y).

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I do worry if future battery fire hysteria will put a stop to ebikes in the 120 person enclosed champery cable cars.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Hi, I live in the south of France with a few snaller bike parks not too far away. I sold my Enduro bike after keeping it an extra 2 years just for 4-5 days of chairlift bike parks.

Down here you load your bike yourself, but the system usually only requires lifting the front wheel up, not the whole bike.

I prefer riding with the battery in as I like the extra push out of switchbacks, and a lot of the parks here have 1-2 lesser known trails that need a bit of pedalling to get to.

Another advantage, but this one is very specific to my family situation (small kids), is if I negotiate a morning on the bike, I can usually get 2-3 descents in before the lifts open, and I timed it, the uphill takes exactly as long.

It could be age and more likely fitness rather than the ebike itself, but a few years ago I could ride 14 descents and -7000m of descending in a day on my Enduro bike, I would be well cooked by the end. Now I actually need to tap out at half that as my arms and back can't take the abuse on the ebike.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I do worry if future battery fire hysteria will put a stop to ebikes in the 120 person enclosed champery cable cars.

Probably not, but dropping a battery off a lift and starting a fire would probably get them banned from the park.

BTTB

Jan 10, 2019
Planet Earth
Our last day here in Morzine, its getting muddy in places after 2 days of thunderstorms.

It our first time here and we're both on ebikes. 90% of the lift team are helpful we found some individuals 🤔 not so mainly in Les Gets.

If we come back we'll bring our ebikes for sure as it's great to session the top of Tutti Fruiti and zip up the access road and do the best bits again instead of loading on the Zore each time.

BTW You can take your bike inside Le Pleny gondola or load on the outside...we took ours inside 😉...

My tips:

1) remove your front mudguard unless it's very short and flexible... my Fox 38 guard isn't coming home with me 😢 - @Redders473 did warn me 🙄

2) take a spare set of brake pads

3) And get some new tyres that can shift mud...

4) Explore and Enjoy

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
How do they take them up . Last lift I used for a non ebike it hung by seat only. Not sure I would be comfortable with ebike like that.

BTTB

Jan 10, 2019
Planet Earth
How do they take them up . Last lift I used for a non ebike it hung by seat only. Not sure I would be comfortable with ebike like that.
As I mentioned the La Pleny gondala you can wheel bike inside, all the other lifts we used have an extra bike holder which you slot the front wheel into and the rear wheel rests against a bar or bracket.. I was twitching one the first few but they are solid as the weight of your bike acts as a weighted anchor and pulls the front wheel securely into place.

Here's mine on the Super Morzine on the external rack.

HTH

VideoCapture_20240622-224006.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
As I mentioned the La Pleny gondala you can wheel bike inside, all the other lifts we used have an extra bike holder which you slot the front wheel into and the rear wheel rests against a bar or bracket.. I was twitching one the first few but they are solid as the weight of your bike acts as a weighted anchor and pulls the front wheel securely into place.

Here's mine on the Super Morzine on the external rack.

HTH

View attachment 142602
Spot on . I had a great activity holiday in Les Get 30 years ago maybe.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Varies between locations. Some a hook through a wheel, most are a thing the wheel goes in and bikes hang down. Others are a thing the bike stands on. Here are a few examples.

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg

IMG_6567.jpeg

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
My local MTB Resort Thredbo, they have hooks on the side chairlift that you have to lift the bikes into.

1719123923229.png

Or the proper front wheel holder.

1719124007678.png

That was my old Carbon Marin with the Bafang motor, and was only about 21kg. So I could lift that one in and out without removing the battery.

But the new Merida, at 24kgs, needs the battery removed.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
The most awkward was the hooks at morgins, but i believe this chairlift has now been replaced. I don't remember seeing this type anywhere else last year.
The shock got in the way depending on bike design and it generally hung there by 1 swaying around, plus you had to load and unload yourself.
Screenshot_20240623-214935.jpg

None as bad as this though, on a recent harry main video at fort William, the gondala bike hook looked bloody awful, a hoop to slot your saddle through. Plus you can watch your handlebar controller get smashed on the way up.
Screenshot_20240623-215039.jpg

Last edited:

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Ive just got back. Took a kenevo sl that was ace. Only purchased a few weeks back so took my ff kenevo in case it failed.
IMG_20240709_135016.jpg

Maybe an unpopular opinion but i really dont think the trails in the pds area are all that good. Sure morgins is ace, champery is good for some steep scary fun. But the berm, tabletop, braking bump and repeat of les gets is pretty dull. Chatel is smashed to bits and everything else just a bit uninspiring.
This year i didn't stay longer than 4 days then moved onto carroz which was brilliant, clusaz with the enduro trails were very good and an ebike was a bonus to access them, then bernex which was a bit limited.
I'm going to spend more time next year traveling between the smaller bikeparks and riding areas.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Ive just got back. Took a kenevo sl that was ace. Only purchased a few weeks back so took my ff kenevo in case it failed. View attachment 143903

Maybe an unpopular opinion but i really dont think the trails in the pds area are all that good. Sure morgins is ace, champery is good for some steep scary fun. But the berm, tabletop, braking bump and repeat of les gets is pretty dull. Chatel is smashed to bits and everything else just a bit uninspiring.
This year i didn't stay longer than 4 days then moved onto carroz which was brilliant, clusaz with the enduro trails were very good and an ebike was a bonus to access them, then bernex which was a bit limited.
I'm going to spend more time next year traveling between the smaller bikeparks and riding areas.
Met a lad a month ago at Tarland who rides the Alps a lot and Ski instructor in winter in France. He reckoned Tarland is world class and well made just on a smaller scale. I find that hard to believe myself but there you go. No scary stuff at Tarland though.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Ive just got back. Took a kenevo sl that was ace. Only purchased a few weeks back so took my ff kenevo in case it failed. View attachment 143903

I don't think it'll be unpopular as such, i guess it depends what you want from riding.

We're off in a few weeks with out first 4 days being in Champery so the boy can race the European Championships, then we've got 6 days after that with Morzine as our base. But he'll be hitting Chatel and other 'park' stuff so he can hit massive jumps, hit the Les Gets WCDH line (or what's left of it) and see... I'll be hitting, well, more tame things and doing rides like the Col du Cou. Maybe a day down to Samoens etc.. A bit of 'of piste' but more Enduro than DH insanity for me and my riding mate.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona

Also try Les Saisies, Les Houches (check Trailforks for the home made runs), Le Tour and Bernex.
In PdS I prefer Avoriaz way over Les Gets.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Les Carroz is really good and always seems to be quiet when Ive been. (y)
I would say that was the highlight of the trip, well apart from morgins of course.
The perfect blue flow trail through the woods. The red with some nice features, the switch backy black under the lift.
As you say very quiet plus the cheapest at 19e including the card.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Also try Les Saisies, Les Houches (check Trailforks for the home made runs), Le Tour and Bernex.
In PdS I prefer Avoriaz way over Les Gets.
Interestingly houches had just popped up on my youtube recommendations on Adam braytons channel.
Wasn't that impressed by bernex. The drop zone was out of action and the red and black were incredibly steep and slick, would have been fun in the dry though. Nice blue and green.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Shhhhh. Don’t tell everyone how much fun the other parks are and let’s keep the Brits Abroad in the zore lift line
IMG_6996.jpeg

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I don't think it'll be unpopular as such, i guess it depends what you want from riding.

We're off in a few weeks with out first 4 days being in Champery so the boy can race the European Championships, then we've got 6 days after that with Morzine as our base. But he'll be hitting Chatel and other 'park' stuff so he can hit massive jumps, hit the Les Gets WCDH line (or what's left of it) and see... I'll be hitting, well, more tame things and doing rides like the Col du Cou. Maybe a day down to Samoens etc.. A bit of 'of piste' but more Enduro than DH insanity for me and my riding mate.
I don't suppose you know whether there is a map of the 'Col du Cou' ride - always wanted to do it but haven't worked out the route.

I often holiday in Morzine/Les Gets with the family, it's a great place with lovely atmosphere. With the E-Bike it's great to go and explore and avoid the main bike park stuff. Plenty of great trails its just finding them.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Basic directions:
– Head to the top of Mossettes and down the fireroad that runs along a ridge on your right looking as you go up the lift.
– Look for black Swiss National DH track (its pretty easy actually) which heads off left and down towards Crosets. At the second road crossing you go right and follow that all the way to the Col De Coux
– Just shy of the summit is a left turn (currently in the middle of a snow drift), there is an earlier left with a signpost, carry on up to the second one (easier to see from the top of the climb)
– Follow that up and down along the ridge, down the steps and lots of tight switchbacks to the hut with a water spring (worth a dunk!)
– Look for the singletrack route on the left of the fire road, and follow that all the way down to the tarmac road (you will cross a few fireroads). Go right down the road all the way to Champery and back up the cable car. Should be self explanatory getting back to Morzine from there.

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Basic directions:
– Head to the top of Mossettes and down the fireroad that runs along a ridge on your right looking as you go up the lift.
– Look for black Swiss National DH track (its pretty easy actually) which heads off left and down towards Crosets. At the second road crossing you go right and follow that all the way to the Col De Coux
– Just shy of the summit is a left turn (currently in the middle of a snow drift), there is an earlier left with a signpost, carry on up to the second one (easier to see from the top of the climb)
– Follow that up and down along the ridge, down the steps and lots of tight switchbacks to the hut with a water spring (worth a dunk!)
– Look for the singletrack route on the left of the fire road, and follow that all the way down to the tarmac road (you will cross a few fireroads). Go right down the road all the way to Champery and back up the cable car. Should be self explanatory getting back to Morzine from there.

Great, thanks, that makes sense. Ive done the Swiss National DH track so know my way at least that far - Ill look forward to this next time Im there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles