E bike... Alps

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
Hi all, iv not been for a few years, but may be hitting Morzine/ Les gets next month... Iv ridden various bikes in my younger years there, Dh and enduro... But thinking of taking my Mondraker crafty carbon, has anyone else taken ebikes and how did they find it? Did hear something about them not liking ebikes on the chairlifts?

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
They're OK with it, but TBH it's a big heavy beast to try and get up onto the lift. If you recall from previous visits there's a bit of a technique getting them on some of the lifts and an ebike is going to be harder.
My mate with his Rail has just bought a Specialized Status specifically for the trip in August as it'll be easier to get on.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I took my kenevo last year. No worries at all and i could go for an explore on the days I didn't fancy a bikepark without the worry I would end up at the bottom of a valley somewhere without a lift to get back.
Still undecided whether to go this year. The trails aren't actually that good, but I would like to ride morgins, pleny black and offpiste plus champery again. Plus the guided rides are really good. Actually maybe I do want to go again 🙂

Last edited:

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Hard work getting the e-bike on the lifts and you’ll feel the weight of it on the flow trails, but ultimately no reason why not.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Up the Super Morzine/Seraussaix/Pleny/Zore wasn't a problem getting them onto the lifts for me personally even with my heavy ass Haibike but there were a couple of occasions when it caused some cussing amongst others. The lift attendants (who can do their job super efficiently with their eyes shut normally) didn't notice it was an ebike a couple of times and fluffed the retrieval as a result due to the weight. They then had to go for a 2nd yank which obviously puts them back (even for a couple of seconds) for the next bike to come off. Given the way they yanked and then thudded my bike down combined with what sounded like some colourful french language I am pretty sure they weren't happy. But ebikes are allowed so...

I did feel a bit bad though I have to say. Those guys and girls work hard enough as it is. I think I might have to leave a few beers with them on the often used lifts next time :unsure:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
you can also ride without a battery, if you want to do only chairlifts day (better handling)

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've taken my Levo to Morzine / PDS a few times. From my personal perspective:

Pros:
1. Good if you want to do any trail riding as well as Downhill. The Alps are hard on the legs!
2. You get the plow through roots etc capability because of the weight.
3. You dont need to worry so much if you miss the last lift home.

Cons:
1. Its hard work getting the full-fat ebike onto the lifts. I've struggled as have pretty much everyone I've seen there.
2. The lift staff also struggle with ebikes on lifts; my Levo has nearly fallen off the lift 3 or 4 times and once, the guy had to chase the bike up the hill to get it on.
3. 2. I go through 3x more brake pads than on a DH rig/Enduro bike in the Alps.

LautSprecher is correct, only a few ebikes can be ridden with the battery removed without risk of frame damage; and most manufacturers say it should only be for light usage. PDS isn't light usage :LOL: I think the Canyon Torque:On can be ridden DH without a battery but not sure of others.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Not true for every bike. Please check if your bike can handle it before you follow this general advice. :)
well... you should know your bike ....

Sometimes I was leaving my battery (from Levo) in a chalet.
(and only using "empty" bottom plastic rock guard)
109413-3ea8d96132556266fa3ad74b2533f5d2.jpg

Last edited:

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
Me and my wife took our ebikes to Morzine last year and we’re going back again next month with them.

It’s technique rather than strength to get them on to the lifts. If my 5 foot 4 wife can get a full fat Levo on the lifts then most people should be ok after the first few slightly embarrassing attempts.

A normal bike would be of course easier if you were just going to stick to the bike parks but I wouldn’t want to be restricted.

The ebikes are great for exploring away from the parks and to get away from the crowds for a bit. I wouldn’t want to tackle those mountain ascents on a normal bike in the heat!

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I'd love some more info on 'routes' people have that are less than Black, you know, an average Enduro UK race trail, bit of tech, bit of flow, lots of fun... I've got several in mind, but more is always better.
I'll be on the manual bike, but don't let that put you off any ideas on trails

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Never been to morzine but the natural trails at Samoens are all ridable from the lifts without a battery fitted.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Never been to morzine but the natural trails at Samoens are all ridable from the lifts without a battery fitted.
Yeah one of our days out is planned from Les Gets down to Samoens, then get Mrs Weeksy to pick us up and bring back in the van.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Yeah one of our days out is planned from Les Gets down to Samoens, then get Mrs Weeksy to pick us up and bring back in the van.
I spent a week there last year without a battery as I flew into Geneva and hired a van.
Plenty to go at 👍

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I'd love some more info on 'routes' people have that are less than Black, you know, an average Enduro UK race trail, bit of tech, bit of flow, lots of fun... I've got several in mind, but more is always better.
The Passports Du Soleil event has a great route plan in it. There are both manual and ebike options. I think you can download the GPX's from the website as well:

Don't think they have any blacks in them (although I may be wrong)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Any recommendations on how to find them? Trailforks doesn’t seem too helpful. We’ve got a couple of days In Samoens this summer.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Amazing, thankyou. Are they easy to find in general?
There's some round the back of the first ski lift and if you go from that lift towards the hotel, there's a tunnel on the left side and then right takes you to the second lift and another load of tracks.👍

• Helpful

Growmac

Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
3. 2. I go through 3x more brake pads than on a DH rig/Enduro bike in the Alps.
Why do you think that is? Are you just running faster? An e-bike all up is only going to be 8-10% heavier than a regular Enduro, so it's not the weight.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
When you feeling confident and want something a little more challenging try the old black run from the super morzine gondola down to the town , it’s mega steep with numerous lines which is great for a race to the bar and the looser buys the 1st round 😁

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
When you feeling confident and want something a little more challenging try the old black run from the super morzine gondola down to the town , it’s mega steep with numerous lines which is great for a race to the bar and the looser buys the 1st round 😁

Some of those trails are pretty savage!

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland
You'll be fine. People take full fat EMTBs on the lifts all the time. Yes, it is more clumsy on some lifts, but don't let those couple of minutes of clumsiness get in the way of a great vacation on your EMTB.

MrSimmo

Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Why do you think that is? Are you just running faster? An e-bike all up is only going to be 8-10% heavier than a regular Enduro, so it's not the weight.
Honestly not sure, think its because I could be braking more before corners. I’m definitely a fair bit faster due to the weight/stability of the bike.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK

A 25kg e-bike Vs 14kg enduro, that's closer to 80% heavier.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles