Levo SL Gen 1 Dusty Turquoise paint match?

Ben_H

Oct 9, 2020
Anyth1ng
Hi all, I’ve been looking for some touch up paint for my Levo SL in dusty turquoise. I bought this off eBay and it’s not bad. I’ll try to get a picture of the touch up at some point but thought I’d share in case others are also looking.

Has anyone else found a decent match?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Take the bike to Home Depot for paint matching? ;) But really, one of the computer color matching scanners should get us pretty close. Specialized could give us the RGB/CMYK numbers.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Hi all, I’ve been looking for some touch up paint for my Levo SL in dusty turquoise. I bought this off eBay and it’s not bad. I’ll try to get a picture of the touch up at some point but thought I’d share in case others are also looking.

I have not. I purchased different shades of fingernail polish and turquoise paint from a hobby store but have yet to get something that really works. Could you post photos?

By the way - black fingernail polish works really well on scratched fork stanchions once it is sanded to a very smooth finish.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
Take the bike to Home Depot for paint matching? ;) But really, one of the computer color matching scanners should get us pretty close. Specialized could give us the RGB/CMYK numbers.

Is there such a thing as a paint scanner app that works? Or do you need a fancy piece of equipment?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Is there such a thing as a paint scanner app that works? Or do you need a fancy piece of equipment?
Maybe, Sherwin-Williams Color Snap Match is supposed to be accurate and is $70. It reads the color and sends the data to your phone. The next one up that I know of is from DataColor and is about $350. I am going to talk to the paint people at Home Depot (when I buy some paint) and see if they will scan my bike.

Ben_H

Oct 9, 2020
Anyth1ng
69CA411E-D8B9-470D-BFA7-1C769818B04F_1_105_c.jpeg

It's far from a perfect match - but considerably closer than raw aluminium. :)

and for less than £7 delivered it will do until I find something closer.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
View attachment 56719

Thanks. That is just about the same spot where I have scrapes!

I downloaded the ProjectColor app from Home Depot and using that I got some color numbers. I am going to pick up some swatches this afternoon to see if the match. If they do I will buy some of the paint and try it out. I will post the name/number/brand of the paint.

Twvandoren

Dec 5, 2020
USA
View attachment 56719

I got some Behr satin paint from Home Depot. It is Sophisticated Teal. Photo of the can lid below. There were three chips in the paint on the seat stay and the paint had been scraped off around the bearing mount on the chain stay. I first dug out the old fingernail polish I had used, which was too blue. Then I sanded with 800 grit sandpaper to knock down the rough edges. I painted with a fine tipped brush, waited 2 hours, and wet sanded with 1000 and then 1500 grit paper. Finally I buffed it using 3M automotive scratch remover, which leaves a finish similar to the original paint. You can see the results below. Not perfect, but better. The paint is just a bit too light.

BA920B9C-F72B-4677-AF2F-BB1F9702F7C8.jpeg
E20E030D-C582-4F6F-A6EB-7A8EA8C81173.jpeg
C261C312-87F8-4A0F-83B1-97A18BDCE520.jpeg
E38617B9-DD20-4829-925D-BCF26BDDA6B5.jpeg

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Also posted in Levo "touch up paint" thread:
I was at the local Home Depot today and asked the nice paint dept person if she could match a color. She replied "sure, as long as it is larger than a dime". I asked "how about my bicycle?", she laughed and said "bring it in but not on a weekend.". I can't ride there (scary roads) so I'll bring it on the rack.

Ben_H

Oct 9, 2020
Anyth1ng
Thanks. Anyone know where we can buy using this code? I’m not knowledgeable at all when it comes to paint. I’m in the UK if that helps…?

jonty59

Jul 23, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK

jonty59

Jul 23, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
I just receive my official Specialized 'Dusty Turquoise' touch-up paint kit from 'onlinepaintshop.co.uk' It's only just become available. It's not cheap at £7.25 for paint and satin lacquer, plus £6.65 postage, but easy to order online and arrived next day. A perfect match for my wife's Turbo Levo SL and I think its great value overall. The company is also developing the Specialized 'Rocket Red' kit so I'll be first in line for that too! :)
1627031578085.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles