Dropper issue new bike

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
Ok at the end of my patience …..

New bike delivered yesterday…Mondraker Crafty R Yaaay. However the dropper is 170mm and even slammed leaves an inch or so until the collar , it seemed a bit long for me (6ft 31.5” inside leg) .

So I took it out and popped on a Fox transfer from another bike at 125mm , happy days…well not. It is moving down on its own just pressing with my hand no lever actuation involved, frustrated I rechecked it etc. Gave up and tried the old (new) post back in it and that is now doing the same as the transfer!!.

I am confused and very very frustrated. Is it a cable tension thing?. I can’t release any cable at the lever as it seems stuck with only about 25mm spare.

Help or there’s going to be a bike murder!!!

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
I can't help with the problem but I do agree that the dropper would be better on the crafty if it was slammed.

It must be a cable issue surely, I hope someone can help you.

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
I can't help with the problem but I do agree that the dropper would be better on the crafty if it was slammed.

It must be a cable issue surely, I hope someone can help you.

Yeah I think 170mm is a bit excessive on a Large if you can’t slam it.

I think it’s cable but don’t understand why the original new dropper on the new bike with no changes now exhibits this behaviour. Have ordered new cables so I can try and replace it all.

Pretty miffed and spoiled that new bike feeling .

devargos

Jan 17, 2022
Jersey
Yeah I think 170mm is a bit excessive on a Large if you can’t slam it.

I think it’s cable but don’t understand why the original new dropper on the new bike with no changes now exhibits this behaviour. Have ordered new cables so I can try and replace it all.

Pretty miffed and spoiled that new bike feeling .

hope you get it sorted quick and as soon as you do that new bike feeling will be there don't worry. I love the bike, that seatpost thing and the location and rubber cover on the charging port are my only slight gripes with the bike. Otherwise its a sexy machine that is so nice to ride.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It sounds like the actuation cable is trapped somewhere. That is why you can push the seat down manually. If not trapped, then maybe it has been kinked. When pushing a dropper fully into the seat tube, it is always good practice to be pulling on the cable at the remote lever end to ensure that the cable is not doubled up, folded or trapped.

This happened to me on a test ride at a bike day. The mechanic did what I said above to fix it. He also showed me how mangled the cable had become from previous efforts.

It also happened when I took my first emtb into my usual LBS. He pulled the dropper out of the seat tube to clamp on the body. When he'd done, he just shoved it back in again and kinked the cable. I think that was the last time I went there.

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
All sorted out. The outer was kinked a couple inches down and the cable was in a right state. Straightened the outer , followed a YouTube video on how to fit for reference, fitted a new cable and job completed in 10 mins. Dropper is working correctly. Thanks for the input people 👍

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles