Doug's Privateer E161 build thread

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Anyone else have one of these pre-ordered?

I'm waiting on my P3 Raw, apparently they are leaving the factory early next week. I literally cannot wait. Watched Rob's video on it and that convinced me!

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
It's an insanely good price honestly. My boys coach is Katy Curd and she absolutely loves the E161 and raves about it... It's a brilliant bike apparently. I've not had a chance to ride hers and in truth it'd be too small. But if i were looking for a decently priced bike, it'd be WAY at the top of my list. I ended up going for a Rise, but only because i could get at 0% and it was silly cheap at the time, but i'd happily have bought an E161.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think its the single best buy at the moment, with the code its £3750 which is absolutely amazing. The bike rides so good, and now with the upcoming updates to the shimano EP801 (over run and more aggressive power settings) it could be the ebike bang to buck bargain of the year!!

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Cheers Rob, I did indeed use your code thank you for that. I am also looking forward to the 4.3 firmware update with over run, in your review video you mentioned there was almost no overrun currently with the EP801 and you seem to like the feature on the CX Race motor.

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Another with one of these on order. I diud ask about delivery yesterday and was told they are in the country and being built up ready to ship in the UK. I now wonder if they will get the Shimano update announced today before they get sent out. That would be ideal

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Yeah that would be awesome, but I doubt it. I am wondering where you would take these to get the update? It says "A dealer" will be able to to do it but as Privateer is direct to consumer, not sure how that works.

Weeksy

Subscriber
Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Any Shimano dealer, but they're likely to charge you for it.

I was out with Katy last night and she was on her E161, she was absolutely flying on it ! Rapido !

Aug 17, 2020
scottish borders
I think its the single best buy at the moment, with the code its £3750 which is absolutely amazing. The bike rides so good, and now with the upcoming updates to the shimano EP801 (over run and more aggressive power settings) it could be the ebike bang to buck bargain of the year!! unfortunately when it came to marker there were lots of bargains around line the Whyte E160 for £3695 that I bought .Now it's a stand out bargain. And as you say with the update it makes it a "no brainer" .
What I would like to ask you though rob is how much more power hungry is the system after the update .
Possibly a new range and height climbed comparison test between Shimano update and Bosch cx ?

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Ooh, exciting!! Just got my bike shipped notification. ETA 4th July (tomorrow)

Interestingly though the spec sheet on the email says

"Privateer E 161 | P3 | Raw EP800-SLX Fox 38 Complete Bike"

Hope this is a mistake and we are getting the EP801 and not the 800

Last edited:

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
She's arrived !!
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 09.53.02.jpeg

However, it is bitter sweet, as when I started the assembly process I noticed that the XT shifter had snapped off from the bottom front brake lever clamp. It's clearly cheap cast metal must have been a fault during production.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 10.51.20.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 10.51.21 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 12.12.26 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-04 at 12.12.26.jpeg

I have raised a support ticket with Privateer online, sent them the pics, they are going to get back to me this afternoon, and they said they will send me out the replacement part. Absolutely sucks as it means I can't go out on it :( :(

Will have to just keeping looking at her sat in the garage for a few more days.

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Shimano etube app just prompted me to update the motor firmware to 4.3, it shipped with 4.2.3. Still don't have the ability to change the extended overrun assist settings in the app, but I think this is coming later in the autumn.

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Seems that when the XT shiter was snapped off, that the actual shifter itself also took a beating. Noticed the levers binding up against each other when I took it out for first test ride, and having inspected it the XT casing is cracked and the levers bent. Have to raise another support ticket :( Check yours when you get it MOG)
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-06 at 19.26.47 (1).jpeg

Cracked and misaligned casing above,

Levers stick together when shifting up, shown below
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-06 at 19.26.47.jpeg

Reactions: MOG

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
No. Box was absolutely fine and The bike was nicely wrapped up. The handle bars were hanging down to the right hand side when I opened it up, resting against the forks. I think the bike has been dropped on its side prior to going in the box perhaps.

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Finally it has arrived. First delivery attempt last Friday. Arrived a few minutes ago (following Wednesday!). Took it out and did a quick build/check and all looks OK, so that's a relief. Shame it is not charged up or I could have taken it tonight. Ah well, at least it stays clean so I can Ride-Wrap it tomorrow.

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Mine had a fair amount of ride wrap style protection on it mate, I didn't notice it at first. Have a close look.

Privateer have sent me out a new XT Shifter under warranty too, should arrive in next few days. Can't really fault their support team so far. I am lucky to be reasonably handy and able to fix all this stuff myself, otherwise would have meant a few trips to dealer.

MOG

Feb 24, 2022
Abergavenny
Mine had a fair amount of ride wrap style protection on it mate, I didn't notice it at first. Have a close look.

Privateer have sent me out a new XT Shifter under warranty too, should arrive in next few days. Can't really fault their support team so far. I am lucky to be reasonably handy and able to fix all this stuff myself, otherwise would have meant a few trips to dealer.
I haven't looked under the frame packaging to be fair. Just noted it came with a box from Ride Wrap that I assume (*from the weight) contains a kit to DIY wrap the bike?? Maybe it is an empty box and the job has already been done for me. Will check later

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Interesting. I didn't get any box from ride wrap with mine, but mine is definitely wrapped already.
IMG_20240710_211429.jpg

DOU9M

May 29, 2024
Epsom
Front of head tube, no. Nothing on rear triangle and nothing on seat post. Only have battery housing tube , top tube and a bit around the cable entry glands.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles