Do emtbs need emtb specific brakes?

Scott M

Mar 22, 2022
Australia
I have a 2020 Norco Range VLT C2 and I am not happy with the brakes that came with the bike. I have upgraded the front disc to a bigger size but am unhappy with the SRAM Code R 4 piston brakes that came with it.

My question is, do you have to use emtb specific calipers or are any ok? For example if I had a set of 4 piston SRAM G 2 ultimates could I use them?

I really am missing the contact point adjustment that my old brakes had.

Cheers,
Scott

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi Scott, I upgraded the levers to Code RSC. Much better lever action combined with pad bite point adjustment. I purchased them from Bikeinn. A much cheaper option than a complete change plus you don’t have the bother of changing the brake hoses. Try using Uberbike race metric brake pads Ebike specific they work really well.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Hi Scott, I upgraded the levers to Code RSC. Much better lever action combined with pad bite point adjustment. I purchased them from Bikeinn. A much cheaper option than a complete change plus you don’t have the bother of changing the brake hoses. Try using Uberbike race metric brake pads Ebike specific they work really well.
Sorry bud didn’t realise you you were on the other side of the globe, BikeINN ship worldwide and Uberbike components are UK based.
Good luck

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
I have a 2020 Norco Range VLT C2 and I am not happy with the brakes that came with the bike. I have upgraded the front disc to a bigger size but am unhappy with the SRAM Code R 4 piston brakes that came with it.

My question is, do you have to use emtb specific calipers or are any ok? For example if I had a set of 4 piston SRAM G 2 ultimates could I use them?

I really am missing the contact point adjustment that my old brakes had.

Cheers,
Scott

So I was in a similar situation to , heavy 26kilo ebike with code r brakes, I found on steep technical terrain they didn’t inspire confidence, that was with race matrix Uberbike pads too.. I changed to xt 4 piston and the difference for me is huge, keeping the same 220mm sram rotors too, pricey change admittedly but gives me lots more control and confidence with less hand/finger fatigue

RiderOnTheStorm

There're brake pads (galfer, mtx, ..) and rotors recommended for e-mtb, not sure about calipers made specifically for ebikes. It's about the braking performance, power and cooling you need to support heavier bikes (and riders). Adding more pistons, using larger rotors, improved pad compounds, generally help.
I'm using Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors front and rear with MTX Red Label Race ceramic/kevlar pads and Magura MT5 calipers. Getting good braking performance on my full fat.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles