Dji avinox

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Assuming it proves reliable, and assuming it proves to be repairable/replaceable, it's quite possible it wrecks the sales of every brand not using it. I can't imagine settling for a Bosch if a comparable bike is available with a DJI.

The bike comes first and foremost. The motor is second and not everyone is going to demand such excessive amounts of power. Would I skip over a great Crestline, Transition or even Orbea with the new Bosch to buy a DJI with trail geometry and no stateside support? No f**king way!

IF everything else is equal, the bike, the price, the reliability, the after sales support, then yes, the DJI powered unit is very compelling. But that's a big 'if'.

The primary well-known brands are going to stick with the Bosch (which is getting a power upgrade soon btw, probably before you can even get a DJI in the states) for many commonsense reasons revolving around: not buying from a bike competitor, known warranty service, no risk of impending tariffs, etc.

Seriously, you guys are making too big of a deal of DJI turning up their electric motor a bit. Any of the manufacturers can do the exact same and they will once they are confident of maintaining reliability. German manufacturing/ business culture is more conservative at its core, than Chinese Manufacturing culture.

Man, the Euros are going to hit that 20 kph max speed faster than ever aye?!

Last edited:

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
The bike comes first and foremost. The motor is second and not everyone is going to demand such excessive amounts of power. Would I skip over a great Crestline, Transition or even Orbea with the new Bosch to buy a DJI with trail geometry and no stateside support? No f**king way!

IF everything else is equal, the bike, the price, the reliability, the after sales support, then yes, the DJI powered unit is very compelling. But that's a big 'if'.

The primary well-known brands are going to stick with the Bosch (which is getting a power upgrade soon btw, probably before you can even get a DJI in the states) for many commonsense reasons revolving around: not buying from a bike competitor, known warranty service, no risk of impending tariffs, etc.

Seriously, you guys are making too big of a deal of DJI turning up their electric motor a bit. Any of the manufacturers can do the exact same and they will once they are confident of maintaining reliability. German manufacturing/ business culture is more conservative at its core, than Chinese Manufacturing culture.

Man, the Euros are going to hit that 20 kph max speed faster than ever aye?!
That's why I said comparable bike.

And it isn't just the extra power. It's so slim and light. It looks like a Fuel EXe but with twice the range and power.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
The weight isn't that revolutionary if you take the non-removeable battery into account. It probably also has a higher center of gravity than a bike with a removable battery because its long and thin and sits above the motor.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
That's why I said comparable bike.

And it isn't just the extra power. It's so slim and light. It looks like a Fuel EXe but with twice the range and power.

Why would any manufacturer share bike plans with a bike manufacturing competitor which would be required to integrate a spec (or could just be copied afterwards)? That's suicidal.

Amflow screwed themselves (imo) by going into the bike manufacturing business.

They could have sold a LOT of motors, but instead they choose to sell a few bike/ motor packages. Contrary to opinions around here, 99% of e-bike riders are NOT going to buy an Amflow in pursuit of the DJI motor. Most e-bike riders walk in to their local shop and buy the pretty one/ discounted one/ brand they know/ friend's recommendation/ etc.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The weight isn't that revolutionary if you take the non-removeable battery into account. It probably also has a higher center of gravity than a bike with a removable battery because its long and thin and sits above the motor.

The battery weight is identical watts per kg to all the leaders with their newest batteries including Bosch, Fazua (announced), Orbea, etc.

The DJI motor is also basically the same as electric motors are nearly all remarkably similar, right down to the rattle. Bosch has already shared that their new motor was designed from the beginning to reliably deal with increased power. It's just a software program away.

So really, where is the difference? It's an Alibaba CF frame with a turned-up motor that is brand new to the market. People are acting like it's the beginning of a new era or something. Sheesh.

John_A

Sep 26, 2022
UK
I know a good few people that have preordered the Amflow, and a few others, myself included seriously considering one mainly because the power to weight ratio and the superb integration really are a big step up from the competition. Yes there are still concerns over support and reliability, but they are going to take a chunk of sales from other brands regardless

If a Bosch power update materialises as predicted then that could put the beaks on DJI sales, but if it doesn’t the Amflow is going to be a massive success

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
  • It's the lightest full power motor
  • It's the smallest full power motor
  • It's the most powerful motor, by a lot
  • It's available in a bike that is cheaper than its competitors, while providing twice the power and battery capacity as other SL bikes, and is up to 4kg lighter than equivalent full power bikes at similar prices.
I'll most likely get a Bosch gen 5 on my next bike in the next 6 months, but if AMflow release a 170mm bike or a known brand build a bike around the motor it would be seriously hard to ignore.

Edit: I would be just as excited about ZF if they had showed it off on a bike that didn't look completely rubbish.

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
  • It's available in a bike that is cheaper than its competitors, while providing twice the power and battery capacity as other SL bikes, and is up to 4kg lighter than equivalent full power bikes at similar prices.
I'll most likely get a Bosch gen 5 on my next bike in the next 6 months, but if AMflow release a 170mm bike or a known brand build a bike around the motor it would be seriously hard to ignore.

Edit: I would be just as excited about ZF if they had showed it off on a bike that didn't look completely rubbish.
Can probably throw a 170mm on it no?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Rando_12345 said:

For me how a bike works comes first, after that (and only if it works well) does come what it looks like.

Edit: by coincidence there is a DJI Customer Experience Centre less than 2 mins from where I live.

Last edited:

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
I have been more wondering how no brand has managed to seriously undercut the competition. These are bicycles, not cars, and yet a bargain e-mtb costs $5k?
Plenty asking the same question . . bicycle £10k, motorbike £8k
Screenshot_20241017_214817_Chrome.jpg

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Is there any credible evidence to support the rumour that Bosch will increase the power of the new motor to compete with DJI, other than that’s what they did years ago on the Gen 4? Seems to me more optimism than rationality.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Is there any credible evidence to support the rumour that Bosch will increase the power of the new motor to compete with DJI, other than that’s what they did years ago on the Gen 4? Seems to me more optimism than rationality.
In a podcast(can most probably still be found on yt) with the owner of Crestline, he mentioned the possibility of Bosch doing that sooner or later...
If there is talk, there is some bit of truth behind it. Also from a marketing and business perspective that's the only sensible thing to do for Bosch...Also It's simple marketing psychology, that works pretty darn well...first sell the new stuff, when it stops selling, make an upgrade, rename it an keep on selling it almost like it's new again.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
BTW did anyone read the Amflow's Limited Warranty section...the following part is quite interesting...while some stuff is pretty common, some is questionable 🤔

Free Warranty Repair Service will not be provided in any of the following circumstances:

• Collision or fire damage caused by non-manufacturing factors, including but not limited to, user errors.
  • Damage caused by improper adjustment or installation, as well as the application of coatings and decorations to components, parts, or accessories that are not appropriate or compatible with the product.
  • Damage caused by improper installation, incorrect use, or operation not in accordance with official instructions or manuals.
  • Damage to other parts resulting from improper maintenance not in accordance with official instructions or manuals, or the failure to timely replace easily worn parts.
  • Damage caused by using the product for stunts, jumps, and other hazardous actions, or improper use.
  • Damage caused by riding on abnormal road conditions or traffic accidents.
  • Damage caused by customer self-repair or assembly without official instructions.
  • Damage caused by an unauthorized modification of circuits, mismatch, or misuse of battery and charger.
  • Damage caused by a reliability or compatibility issue due to use of third-party parts unauthenticated by Amflow.
  • Damage caused by over-discharge of the battery due to improper storage.
  • Product labels, serial numbers, or other identification labels show signs of tampering or alteration.
  • Damage caused by corrosion.
  • Labor and shipping charges for part replacement or changeover.
  • Daily wear and tear of easily worn parts. Easily Worn Parts include:Tires, Screws & Nuts, Gaskets & Washers, Bearing, Rubber Stopper, Grips, Cables, Transmission components (Chain, Chainring, Cassette), Fender & Cover Plate, and Saddle Fabrics.

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
The only thing there that looks questionable to me is

"Damage caused by using the product for stunts, jumps, and other hazardous actions, or improper use."

And that sort of depends on how they interpret it. Is doing jumps at all considered not covered, or are they protecting themselves from people that try to take it to Red Bull Rampage?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

The motor weighs .7#s (claimed) less than the new Bosch cx. Hopefully Bosch will offer the race option again which will get that down to .4#.
Batteries watt per kg are the same so no difference there.
Bosch told Crestline the motor was designed with a '3 figure power number planned...' that means more than 99 NMs.
All CF Ebike frames weigh very similar amounts. Size mediums are all about 3300 grams. Differences often come down to longer more aggressive geo and the size being measured.
The rest of the weight differences are in the spec. The Amflow has a short dropper, a non reservoir air shock, Exo tires, 36mm fork, conservative geo, etc.
I belong to a FB group and a guy weighed his at 21.7 kgs. It's light for sure. But also what I would expect for the spec.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Is doing jumps at all considered not covered,
They have guys jumping the bike on the website home page video. This would make the case that these smaller jumps are within the bikes normal operation. Otherwise they would need a caveat saying that what is being shown on their website is not allowed.

In Australian consumer laws. You cannot show the bike jumping as your advertising. Then claim it's not allowed, unless you have fineprint on the video, saying the advertising is not what the actual bike can do.

1729215531468.png

DirkWisely

Jun 14, 2024
California
The motor weighs .7#s (claimed) less than the new Bosch cx. Hopefully Bosch will offer the race option again which will get that down to .4#.
Batteries watt per kg are the same so no difference there.
Bosch told Crestline the motor was designed with a '3 figure power number planned...' that means more than 99 NMs.
All CF Ebike frames weigh very similar amounts. Size mediums are all about 3300 grams. Differences often come down to longer more aggressive geo and the size being measured.
The rest of the weight differences are in the spec. The Amflow has a short dropper, a non reservoir air shock, Exo tires, 36mm fork, conservative geo, etc.
I belong to a FB group and a guy weighed his at 21.7 kgs. It's light for sure. But also what I would expect for the spec.
Yeah sounds like Bosch could close the gap. I guess the main reason the DGI bike looks so slim is because the battery is integrated, and is above the motor instead of next to it, giving a less chunky BB.

I guess we'll see, as right now it's just theoretical that Bosch can amp their motor up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles