DH World Cup thread

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Last year at Snowshoe I noticed that there seemed to be a rash of the local Barney Fife's film bombing the podium coverage and am disturbed to see it happening again this year.

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 8.14.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 10.31.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 12.49.54 PM.png

Name me another venue where you even seen such a thing? But it is the US and you never know when a mass shooting is going to break out I suppose.

Big congrats to Bernard. I subscribe to his LSD channel, on x2 with skipping, and as mentioned by the announcers he does try to make it look easy but you know its not. For sure they way he does it takes a healthy amount of backing! That bus conversion must have cost bank.

Last edited:

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Spent the day re-roofing the garage bike cave, so only just caught up with things. Man, what a race & I'm going to have to take back a few things I've said before about Bernard. Man is walking the walk.

I’’m the same, he’s on form and mixing it with the elite riders. Not just a YouTuber…… was really routing for his first win, gutted he lost out by 0.4.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Bernard habeen a world class bike racer for a good decade before he ever filmed an LSD, and he’s one of the nicest guys you could meet in person too, which your likely to do if you ride Surrey Hills regularly.

gutted he didn’t get the win but stoked for AP as I love the way that man rides a DH bike at the moment.

been a great season so far, we really need more rounds!

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Bernard habeen a world class bike racer for a good decade before he ever filmed an LSD, and he’s one of the nicest guys you could meet in person too, which your likely to do if you ride Surrey Hills regularly.

gutted he didn’t get the win but stoked for AP as I love the way that man rides a DH bike at the moment.

been a great season so far, we really need more rounds!

Just wait till discovery starts showing the DH series, no Rob Warner. Won’t be the same.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Fair, Bernard would smoke me on a Raleigh Strika. Do we know Warner is out? He's such an integral part of it for me.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Rob signed with RedBull for perhaps other announcing gigs, probably moto's because he is well versed on that also and let's face it he is a great announcer. Busier than a wasp at a picnic :LOL: among others.

Sometimes I ponder on the fact that there are so many English english speakers that have gigs doing not only cycle sports, but pretty much all different kinds and then over here in the U.S. there are John Oliver and Trevor Noah etc. types too.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
We are hearing all sort of doom and gloom rumours about what Discovery are going to do, but at the same time the WC Circuit needs dragging into the future, more rounds, more money for the riders, and a more professional set up, all of which involves someone investing money into it.

The dilemma is that the current set up is very much integrated with grass roots riding and the amateur scene, and the fact that in theory a privateer could enter and win, the riders are so accessible to the fans, and the racing is such a high quality due to the size of the field and everyone pushing so hard, is integral to the appeal. Will be very hard to maintain this if trying to make it into a bigger show and event.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Isn't the issue we're not hearing anything concrete? I keep my ear as close to the ground as I can & I can't say I have much of a notion of how it will look next season. Nature abhors a vacuum & rumour always fills the void.

All I know for sure is Discovery are taking over & the riders are organising.Publicly they're talking a fair bit about safety but the cynic in me says they're looking to head off anything they dislike with the incoming rights holders.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Really? Oh well. at least we'll always have Danny Hart's balls to remember him by.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
there is no way I would pay for a service just to watch the DH which is a real shame..
it will almost inevitably end up on youtube afterwards I reckon so ill have to wait and miss out on the live race.
its a bummer but there is almost nothing they could do to make the coverage good enough to pay, the racing is what it is, the show surrounding the event is already very good and fits the vibe..
do we think they will try to turn it into F1 or something?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would happily pay to watch DH if the price was reasonable, you got to see full race runs, and the production good - it’s one of my favourite things to watch and if the money goes into improving the circus then fine.

I am not fussed about Warner - funny as he can be I actually prefer Elliot Jackson’s input right now, and if Discovery put him on coms and bring in some other respected voices we will be ok. Reality is Warner has carved out a nice niche doing commentary for Redbull, and I think he’s more interested in that pay check than bike racing in general.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
He's inextricably linked to it for me. It's only a year since the BBC ran the world championships with a commentary so bad, the pelters in here were memorable. It's well documented Warner does deep preparation for the races he commentates on & is emotionally invested. I wouldn't do him the pay cheque gig disservice personally.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles