Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Greetings, I just received a hastily ordered stilus yesterday, saw the price tag, trawled for reviews and found this thread. It seems I am lucky to get one of the last in stock.

I was intending to quarantine the parcel upon delivery but couldn’t resist. This is my first proper ebike experience and I am blown away, I have come from a Norco Sight 1 which was replaced by norco in 2014.

This is a heavy bike but you wouldn’t really think so when riding it. The cutoff is not treacle like as reviews of older tech seemed to describe, one very happy (almost Easter) bunny - perfect for lockdown fun !

View attachment 28071 View attachment 28072 View attachment 28073
good choice mate, That's same feeling as mine, it's really light pedal when you ride with the motor off, its surprise !

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Quick question, I just had a go at finding the thorn and let let more air out to try and remove tyres.
This seems incredibly tight fit, I just re-read the decat' site and it suggest this isn't tubeless - was yours Tubeless have you noticed?

From the site:
WHEELS
SUNRINGLE DUROC 40: these wheels are specially designed for this mountain bike:
- 36 mm rims (width between brackets), 32 spokes at the front and rear for greater durability and good grip with wide tyres (2.8").
- BOOST format thru axles (12x148 rear, 15x110 front) for greater durability
- Aluminium hubs with sealed bearings.
- Tubeless ready compatible: pre-mounted rim strips; you will need PRESTA valves and puncture sealant

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
You need to break the seal between the tyre bead and the rim. Take the wheel off,let out the air and put the wheel flat on the floor. Stand on the side of the tyre with some hard heeled shoes and the bead should break away easily. At least, that's how I do it.

Edit: I think I learnt it from a post on here, possibly from zimmerframe.

Last edited:

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
Hi I borrowed the decathlon stilus last week for a 1.5hr cycle, unfortunately the battery wasn't fully charged and ran out at 13 miles leaving an 8 mile cycle back to the shop without battery which was an experience as its such a heavy bike with wide tyres.

Loved everything about the bike though brakes could do with being upgraded and the seat was horrible which is easy fixed,

This was my first time on a electric bike so have nothing to compare with.

I have read reports that this motor can't be derestricted which puts me off slightly

I know 3k isn't much in the way of a full suspension electric mountain bike. And spec wise this is hard to beat though I am undecided to what to buy, I loved the test ride on the stilus though i wasn't blown away this was probably due to the battery running out which put a downer on the whole experience

The next obvious choice is the voodoo zobop with the steps motor (providing it can be derestricted for off road use only)

Any feedback is much appreciated on best full sus emtb to buy under 3.5k, doesn't need to be extreme as will be a combined commuter.

Thanks

StilusBoy79

Mar 31, 2020
Uk
Thanks for the advice on the tyres, will give that a go on tomorrow if wfh permits.

Re G82 observations, your first ride sounds similar to mine, I set off with 2 bars of juice and it it lasted 1.5hr of mixed use. Even though the range read ZERO on the last mile, it wasn't so heavy, so must have still assisted a little. That said i had music on pretty loud as was mostly offroad so didn't hear the motor.

I took my Norco out today and the brakes were loads sharper. So i agree they need upgrading, the weight of the bike is a huge factor i think.

The saddle is pretty harsh to be fair. I didn't realise at the time.

I fullt expected that I could de-res this for offroad use, having read some comments before purchasing. I have to say I am struggling to find the info quickly when I was searching today, and other comments saying Firmwhere prohibited this.

As happy as I am with the bike, if you are wanting the extra pace and this isn't possible then I guess I would keep searching.

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
It's possible the brake pads weren't properly broken in and had glazed. SRAM guides are pretty good from what I can see, though I have no experience of them.

Alternatively, maybe you're not used to the weight of the bike and the different brake points you have to use downhill on an emtb. It all comes with use.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
providing it can be derestricted for off road use only
Define "off road". If you mean anything other than private land with zero public right of access it's still breaking the law.

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Any chance you could measure and verify the length of the chainstay? My 2018 Cube has a 473mm chainstay length, which is considered huge by today's geometry with the 2020 Bosch motor.

That seems to me the only weakness of this bike. The specs look otherwise unbeatable at this price point. I would be happy to buy from Decathlon as I find their after sales service to be solid and I don't mind putting up with the Bosch 2020 clunk in return for Bosch reliability and network.
Hi I borrowed the decathlon stilus last week for a 1.5hr cycle, unfortunately the battery wasn't fully charged and ran out at 13 miles leaving an 8 mile cycle back to the shop without battery which was an experience as its such a heavy bike with wide tyres.

Loved everything about the bike though brakes could do with being upgraded and the seat was horrible which is easy fixed,

This was my first time on a electric bike so have nothing to compare with.

I have read reports that this motor can't be derestricted which puts me off slightly

I know 3k isn't much in the way of a full suspension electric mountain bike. And spec wise this is hard to beat though I am undecided to what to buy, I loved the test ride on the stilus though i wasn't blown away this was probably due to the battery running out which put a downer on the whole experience

The next obvious choice is the voodoo zobop with the steps motor (providing it can be derestricted for off road use only)

Any feedback is much appreciated on best full sus emtb to buy under 3.5k, doesn't need to be extreme as will be a combined commuter.

Thanks
Had you try offroad? I can say it's a full suspension All mountain bike. you will get full with this bike in mountain, cheers!

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
This is approx 49cm so the measurement is likely accurate above. I can’t really manual despite riddling for years so this is food for thought. :oops:

This bike arriving was a shock to me, albeit a pleasant surprise. Following my order decathalon sent a cancellation email. Then out of blue I got a parcelforce text upon waking yesterday.... I will forgive them as I’m v happy :)

Need to go tubeless as I got a flat following a thorn on the test ride. In same loop I always do.... doh.

I am approx 5'9.5 though I have been rounding up for years. I wouldn’t recommend the medium for anyone any taller.
I plan to measure the difference with the old bike as that’s as quite small cockpit too.
I am 183cm, I picked XL, it's good fit.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Thanks all for your posts, they really helped me decide on moving from Acoustic to EMTB and to look at the Stilus.

I know a few people have posted questions/comments on the new Stilus, so happy to answer any questions once mine arrives Saturday (including the nightmare website challenges of actually being able to order one at the moment!)

MPJ

Nov 28, 2019
Chiltern Hills, UK
Thanks to all Stilus owners for their posts!
In the queue for an XL when they restock.

One quick question though, The Decathlon site says, 'Smart Sam 27.5 x 2.8'.
The Schwalbe site says they only make 27.5 x 2.6.

This certainly isn't a deal breaker and I hope they are 2.6. Can you confirm please?

Many thanks

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Yup, 2.6. One of the many challenges with Decathalon's poor specs ;). They seem pretty good tyres though to be fair (I've always been a Maxxis Ardent Race guy on my XC). They roll well, decent sidewalls (I converted to tubeless) and have good grip although that may also be the addition EMTB weight that makes the bike feel more grounded...

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
Thanks to all Stilus owners for their posts!
In the queue for an XL when they restock.

Ahh... A fellow XL rider awaiting stock! Looks like we shall meet in battle in the ring of 'large item delivery slots' ?

Good luck ?

Reactions: MPJ

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
I probably clicked on the delivery button, no slots available, click on the delivery button, no slots available... about 50+ times until I got lucky (and boy was that a good feeling) :p:p:p
Interesting thing was, I clicked, it said no slots, I clicked again and it said next Monday and then almost immediately it was saying no slots. I wonder if it’s like some kind of random computer way of stoping people all ordering at once...

Kme

May 4, 2020
Wirral
I probably clicked on the delivery button, no slots available, click on the delivery button, no slots available... about 50+ times until I got lucky (and boy was that a good feeling) :p:p:p
Interesting thing was, I clicked, it said no slots, I clicked again and it said next Monday and then almost immediately it was saying no slots. I wonder if it’s like some kind of random computer way of stoping people all ordering at once...
I suppose that's one way to keep occupied during lockdown! ?

Kmmf

Jan 11, 2020
Liverpool
Yup, 2.6. One of the many challenges with Decathalon's poor specs ;). They seem pretty good tyres though to be fair (I've always been a Maxxis Ardent Race guy on my XC). They roll well, decent sidewalls (I converted to tubeless) and have good grip although that may also be the addition EMTB weight that makes the bike feel more grounded...

Hi , Is the smart Sam can go for tubeless?

Jasext

Mar 27, 2020
Swansea Valley
Anyone else been able to get one recently? Been trying for over a week and still not available.Sent them an email asking if and when they would be back in stock and they couldn't say , they just told me to keep checking website :cry:

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
So, not making any promises, but it was Saturday early afternoon 2 weeks ago when they came back in stock for me (in case they regularly add them online Saturdays) and then from then it took a day and a half until I got a delivery slot at 12:30am Sunday night. I stayed up the Saturday till 3am trying to get a slot but it kept saying no more slots, try again in the morning.

I know I said I tried 50 times, but it may have been upwards of that figure:cry:

Just keep trying good things come to those who wait (well to those who press the back button, click for delivery slot, back button, click for delivery slot, back button...) ;)

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
17590CD9-1B96-4BD0-B612-A362E68EDB02.jpeg
AA15CA51-6E90-4C12-A5DF-40E8C3522171.jpeg
9717A73B-33EC-41F7-9127-3277018C4A59.jpeg
257143CD-8686-4C5E-8B9C-26FA9F71DE07.jpeg
1F6E19BF-3073-4153-AA90-7C80A20B84F3.jpeg

UPDATE #2: 200 miles on

Added a few upgrades, some cosmetic, some improvements:-

Stem: By far the best upgrade and it was really cheap, is the XLC 70mm stem from Amazon (link below):
XLC Unisex - Adult's ST-M27 All... Totally changed the small “feel” of the cockpit and 20mm doesn’t seem to have noticeably impacted the steering responsiveness. Only challenge with ordering this stem on amazon prime is it doesn’t say how long it is and they do 3 sizes. The link is for the 70mm one but to check before you order take the product id number from the details page and search for it in google and it takes you to another bike shop site which confirms which length the stem is. :) Note, this Stem is straight and does not have the 6 degree rise the standard one does so I moved the stem up the final spacer and it feels great! Definitely my no.1 recommendation if you feel the cockpit is to small for you! I’d suggest this will be the no.1 upgrade for many, particularly as it’s quick and cheap (and looks better than the stock one).

Front Fender: Mucky Nutz, Black and Orange really goes with the bikes colour scheme :cool::
Mucky Nutz Face Fender
Grips: Ergon GA3 grips. Feel much better than the stock ones and I’m a big fan of their grips (used on last 2 bikes). The Juicy orange colour will need some cleaning though! Come in 2 sizes so use the sizing chart before you order (I went small)
ERGON Unisex's GA3 Grips, Juicy Orange, Large
Seat: Ergon Sm E-MTB. Agree, you don’t need an e-MTB saddle but I do like the raised tail on the climbs, much better than the stock seat. There are mixed reviews on this seat and it’s not the cheapest so maybe try it out in your LBS if you can. Comes in two sizes and you have to measure your sit bones before ordering. I’m still undecided whether I like it to be honest. My initial thoughts were no, the raised sides are fairly high and I wasn’t feeling the love. After 100 miles I’m getting used to it and today when I want back to my trusty old “comfortable” saddle I thought that it wasn’t that comfortable! Maybe I’m getting used to it but it’s not for everyone I assure you.
Ergon Men's Sm E-MTB Sport Saddle
Top Buying Tip: I brought the Ergon grips and Ergon seat from Bikeinn.com, definitely cheaper than Amazon, 4-5 day delivery and they had plenty of cheap bottle cages also.

Battery Life Update: I couldn’t be more impressed with the stock 500W battery. Sure, like most folks, I was looking for the 625W battery and was gutted it wasn’t an option, but honestly the stock 500W is rock solid. NOTE: I weigh 75Kg which is obviously important for any comparison, but the last 3 full battery rides I’ve got 47miles in a Tour Mode and 43 miles in EMTB mode. All rides have more than 2000 metres of climbing although I am peddling pretty hard also.
It’s probably the same on most bikes but Bosch’s Purion display does fluctuate a lot on the “miles remaining” counter. You ride up a short hill and it can go from the 40’s down to the 10’s and then you cruise down a hill and your back up into the 40’s. I guess given it uses the last mile of riding for it’s remaining miles prediction, that’s going to happen, so just go with it. In the long run though, with a mix of ups and downs, I am getting the 47 miles predicted distance in the beginning each ride.
Other thing I don’t know, is when it gets to 0 miles left, it keeps on going! I must have done a mile beyond the 0 miles left counter and still didn’t hit the limit so not sure what’s left in the tank when you hit zero.

Bosch Gen 4 Performance Line CX - Motor Rattle: this has been discussed in other posts and I can see some people are being put off by it. Here’s my perspective on this.
The engine is really quiet, I’m surprised just how quiet it is (remember this is my 1st E-Bike though). When I started riding this motor from new, I saw some posts and a video on this “rattle” when you are not peddling and going over rocks and bumps, and I had no idea what everyone was going on about! I didn’t notice this at all and I was looking for it. Sure enough though, 50-70+ miles into the new motor, mine does it now. You even notice it when riding around the speed limiter. It’s like a click or knock sound as you go from freewheeling to engaging the motor. It’s slightly annoying but for me, it’s not a major deal breaker and it’s only when you are going from freewheeling to engaging the motor. Other threads with responses from Bosch on this “issue” state that the new leaner, lighter, thinner motor does make a little bit more noise so suck it up and in other replies Bosch say if you ride the bike it eventually goes away. I do not hold out much hope that it will disappear over time as it only started doing it as the engine bedded in.
In short, would it put me off buying this motor, no, I still think it’s a great motor and if the click remains then it’s a minor inconvenience to me that I’ll get used to.

Well I think that’s enough! As I said before, let me know if you have any questions regarding the bike and good luck to those of you waiting to get one. It’s an awesome bike from my point of view, at an incredible bargain price! Reading the Top 25 ebikes review someone posted this week, the cheapest bike in that list is more than double this bike and I struggle to believe it is twice as good!;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles