Dead Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2020

Jon Karpoff

Apr 25, 2021
Washington USA
Yesterday I parked my bike (2020 Turbo Levo Comp) after a short, dry ride, plugged it in to top off the battery charge, and unplugged it when the battery was fully charged. Things looked normal. This morning, however, it is completely dead. No indication of a battery charge (no LED lights indicating the charge level), and nothing at the TCU. I mean nothing - no lights or indication of activity at any level. I did not wash the bike and the TCU is dry. I removed the battery and all connections seem to be clean.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what the problem might be? I see forum discussions in which there is some indication of life, e.g., in the TCU, or in which moisture appears to be the problem. But these situations do not apply. Is there a chance the TCU battery needs replacing? (I can see a battery in the TCU, but have not been able to remove it.) I have run out of ideas about where to look for the problem.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Can you remove the main battery and reset it?

Having said that, on my STEPS 8000 the power switch on the bike flashes when you try to turn it on, even if the main battery is not installed.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Could be a faulty power cable - mine did that (although it did flicker one blue led for a split second but this may be the same issue); replacing the cable rectified the fault.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So the only thing you have disturbed since it was last working OK is the charging plug............and that is of course one end of the battery to motor cable.
So 2 prime suspects! Firstly the charger plug connection. Check the pins are OK, check it is clean with no foreign bodies...remember it is magnetic so can attract small metal pieces if left uncovered.
Second, and probably more likely, there is a fault in the motor to battery cable, probably at the motor plug end....especially if your bike has not been fitted with the ver3 cable. The previous version of the cable is a known failure problem. You can access it by removing the non drive side crank and motor cover to inspect. If that is where your problem lies, it may be possible to effect a repair but ultimately you need to get a replacement under warranty.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles