Levo dead

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
The TCU (on/off button thingy) on the top tube can be affected by water ingress -- but only if the rubber cover of USB port (used for firmware update) is not properly seated. To check it, you need a T10 Torx driver to remove the screw, gently lift front of TCU and slide it forward to lift out.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Open the charging port - gently clean with cotton bud then close firmly. If there is water/mud in there it doesn't get a good connection.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
It sounds like a TCU problem. Call Chris @ Berkshire Cycles who can maybe talk you through the process. Failing that he does/will do warranty work for bikes not purchased from there if your willing to drive. Usually on the spot.

Such a pain. I had my power cable go within 2 months and just had a dead battery changed. Both done no quibbles but not great in terms of relying on the thing and I do generally take good care of it!!

David2164

Jul 30, 2019
Barnsley
It sounds like a TCU problem. Call Chris @ Berkshire Cycles who can maybe talk you through the process. Failing that he does/will do warranty work for bikes not purchased from there if your willing to drive. Usually on the spot.

Such a pain. I had my power cable go within 2 months and just had a dead battery changed. Both done no quibbles but not great in terms of relying on the thing and I do generally take good care of it!!
Cheers will call him

AndyH

Jun 23, 2019
Portsmouth
Mine did show a small re

i know it’s madness £4K for a off road bike you can’t wash
I wash mine after every ride- no issues (touch wood) - i never use a pressure washer and a hose only on "old man weeing" mode- Rob has a good video that illustrates this well; I suspect battery contacts in your case and relationship harmony is a balance between spending £4k on a bike that doesn't work and keeping it in the lounge for a night to see if you can be happy again! I would give it a go... Good luck.

David2164

Jul 30, 2019
Barnsley
Mode on the handle bar switch
Had a quick ride on it all modes are working on the handle bar switch but no display on the tcu display and it’s constantly turned on unless I open the battery flap anyone know we’re I can buy s new one from can’t find one anywhere cheers

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
What a new TCU or battery flap? I wouldn’t worry about discharging the battery if the motor is on but not working it doesn’t drain.

I wouldn’t go shelling out, it’s a warranty job. New power lead which is no more than some basic wiring is around £80 so god know what the other parts cost.

Was Chris able to help?

David2164

Jul 30, 2019
Barnsley
What a new TCU or battery flap? I wouldn’t worry about discharging the battery if the motor is on but not working it doesn’t drain.

I wouldn’t go shelling out, it’s a warranty job. New power lead which is no more than some basic wiring is around £80 so god know what the other parts cost.

Was Chris able to help?
He wasn’t in left my number but he didn’t ring back

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Ahhhh. Ok. He will call back mate he’s really good like that.

He’s probably the only person I know of with them in stock. Least the bike is kinda working but this weekend might have to be a hack to fo riding ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sovare you saying you get motor assist as normal but no display on the TCU? If so that is a change from your original no power report...suggests it has partially dried out but not completely. Suggest you take more time to check the remote tcu and battery connection rather than assuming you need a new part. In the battery connection the big 2 terminals are the power supply pos and neg. The small terminals are for the signalling circuit and run on a very low current. Any contamination will stop the circuit from working. What did you use when washing it? Anything that leaves a residue will contaminate those contacts. Use a proprietary electrical contact cleaner spray and wipe dry with a lint free cloth or paper towel.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Does anyone here know anything about the TCU? Is it a sealed unit with just the USB port and maybe the cable entry as possible areas for water ingress? Does it contain a fuse? The top tube is not a closed section....it is open to the headset so I would assume it is a sealed unit?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Surely there is also somewhere a wiring diagram for the Levo?. PCBs etc do not like getting wet but if they do the usual result is a short circuit rather than a component failure. Usual advice if that happens is to avoid powering any circuits and allow the unit to dry by putting it in a warm dry place or if that is not possible applying gentle heat with a hair dryer.

David2164

Jul 30, 2019
Barnsley
Does anyone here know anything about the TCU? Is it a sealed unit with just the USB port and maybe the cable entry as possible areas for water ingress? Does it contain a fuse? The top tube is not a closed section....it is open to the headset so I would assume it is a sealed unit?
I have cleaned it with fast drying electrical cleaner the battery pins I’ve also took out the tcu unplugged it cleaned the terminals cleaned the USB port and put it all back together the tcu flashed red but no other lights came on then I noticed the power was there has the mode switch on the handlebars is working

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I suggest you place TCU in a sunny position with USB/battery compartment cover removed and to aid water vapor to escape, position TCU with the opening as the highest point.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So the next steps are to avoid a repeat. I suggest you check the seal on the TCU to ensure it is clean and correctly seated. I apply a little liwuid silicone lube on the o ring seal of the battery to motor connector. Make sure the seat for that o ring is clean. Wash with water and sponge not a hose or pressure washer. Ensure the area around that connector is clean before undoing it. Protect both the battery connector and charging lead connection when open/ not connected. Clean the battery to motor connections regularly with contact cleaner.

Gazzarn

Feb 12, 2019
Gateshead
So the next steps are to avoid a repeat. I suggest you check the seal on the TCU to ensure it is clean and correctly seated. I apply a little liwuid silicone lube on the o ring seal of the battery to motor connector. Make sure the seat for that o ring is clean. Wash with water and sponge not a hose or pressure washer. Ensure the area around that connector is clean before undoing it. Protect both the battery connector and charging lead connection when open/ not connected. Clean the battery to motor connections regularly with contact cleaner.
Hi all just went to switch my 2019 Turbo Levo on and same dead as a Dodo! Used it yesterday washed it down extremely carefully with a sponge like I do after every ride charged it back up to full, went to go out on it today and nothing :-(
Tried removing battery , cleaning terminals , took out TCU no signs of any water ingress!
I’ve rang wheelies where I got the bike from and no help at all!!! Rang Specialized uk and they are busy and will ring me back!

Any other suggestions please :)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So if you were careful with the wash the only thing you have disturbed is the battery to motor connector and that is your most likely problem. Check very carefully with a good torch and clean with contact cleaner. The connectors are magnetic...they will attract any dirt/grit with a metallic content.

Gazzarn

Feb 12, 2019
Gateshead
So if you were careful with the wash the only thing you have disturbed is the battery to motor connector and that is your most likely problem. Check very carefully with a good torch and clean with contact cleaner. The connectors are magnetic...they will attract any dirt/grit with a metallic content.
Hi tried that still nothing also just changed the battery in the TCU which was pretty low voltage but still nothing.
One thing I’ve noticed is that when I go to switch it on I can see the 4 green LED battery lights flash in sequence 1&3 then 2&4 then repeats all the time I’ve got the power button held down??

David2164

Jul 30, 2019
Barnsley
Hi tried that still nothing also just changed the battery in the TCU which was pretty low voltage but still nothing.
One thing I’ve noticed is that when I go to switch it on I can see the 4 green LED battery lights flash in sequence 1&3 then 2&4 then repeats all the time I’ve got the power button held down??
Mine had no lights on tcu but worked on the handle bar modes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles