Creaking at the motor on a Stereo Hybrid 160 TM?

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Last ride the bike developed a creak, now it's getting louder, the main creak seems to be non drive side crank when i put a bit of power down that side (12 o'clock to 5ish), it also creaks on the drive side, but not as loud.

So far i've removed the crank arms, chainring and checked all bolts around that area, and greased up the areas such as the ISIS splines and so on. The creak is still there and it does appear to be something inside.

Anyone else suffered this type of thing, bike's about a month old, had half a dozen rides and was bought online, so guessing it's not an easy fix to send back for them to look at, do Cube do anything direct or via local network?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Bosch motor mounts loose? Common occurrence.... there's a few posts on it here.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This week I had that creak that just got worse and worse. As I put the power down it started to sound like a bag of bolts. Stood still, I could generate the creak by pressing hard with on either pedal at around the 4 o'clock position.

Having read so many problems about loose motor mounts, I rushed the bike into the LBS as soon as I could (not easy 'cos I had to wait for my car to come back from service).

Explained at the LBS my fears and all the wonderful stuff I'd read on here about the loose engine mounting brackets.

LBS mechanic had a quick listen. Whipped out the back axle, liberally greased it. Reinserted said axle. Silence...

Seen it all before, apparently... ?

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Had a try of all the above, fixed it in the end by undoing the motor bolts, then re-torquing them, it's a weird one, all i read was those bolts coming loose caused creaks, but for me it was that they were well in, god knows how they can come loose as they appear to have a good amount of threadlocker on them!

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Currently troubleshooting a creak on my 2020 Cube Stereo Hybrid and it definitely sounds like it's down somewhere near the motor.

Not sure if anyone can confirm the size of Torx bit? It seems to be a Torx 40 but the two bits I have feel too small and it wiggles more than I would expect. I have a regular Torx 40 bit like you could use for a screwdriver fit and a 1/4 socket too but both of these seem to have too much slack for my liking. If I decide to apply enough force, I get a feeling it would just slip out and maybe round off the socket a little :(

I've always done without a torque wrench in the past (this is my first bike in 5-6 years) but I decided to pick one up since the frame is carbon. Once I have that then I'll see how tight the bolts are but they feel pretty tight.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Torx 40 is what i used, if yours are slack then threadlocker i used was loctite 243 after breaking the torque and reapplying.

The Torx screws/bolts are tight from what I can feel. I meant for some reason, my Torx 40 bits seem to fit loosely into the heads of those bolts/screws that hold the motor in which is weird. Torx is normally a fairly snug fit like I get on my Maguras that have Torx 25 heads but the 40s on the motor almost seem bigger for some reason.

This makes me ware of doing much since I don't want to round them off :/ Did your bit fit quite snuggly into those Torx 40 heads?

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Well I managed to pick up a Topeak digital torque wrench on ebay for a decent price and got myself a crank puller that fits (my old park tools one didn't fit these cranks on my stereo hybrid 160 from this year).

Removed cranks and the bash guard before removing each motor bolt and cleaning them. Put loctite on and torqued up to 22nm which I found somewhere else? Not sure if that's enough?

One bolt was very loose so I thought I'd found the issue and I also found a bolt on the rear of the suspension links that was also loose. Despite that the creak is still present and loud.

When I tightened one of the motor mount bolts I heard creaking from the frame then too so I can only imagine there's something inside the frame rubbing against something on the motor. Guess I'll have to decide whether I can be bothered to go further and remove the motor or if I just let the shop do it.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
The Torx screws/bolts are tight from what I can feel. I meant for some reason, my Torx 40 bits seem to fit loosely into the heads of those bolts/screws that hold the motor in which is weird. Torx is normally a fairly snug fit like I get on my Maguras that have Torx 25 heads but the 40s on the motor almost seem bigger for some reason.

This makes me ware of doing much since I don't want to round them off :/ Did your bit fit quite snuggly into those Torx 40 heads?

The Torx T40 bits wobble because the bolts are Torx Plus T40 - as clearly stated in the Bosch Gen 4 workshop manual.

It's a different shaped bit to the standard Torx and is used for automated manufacturing because it provides a much better surface for better tightening.

I guess you are in the UK. If so, you'll have no trouble finding the correct bits.

NOTE: using a Torx T40 instead of a Torx TP40 can damage the bolt head.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
The Torx T40 bits wobble because the bolts are Torx Plus T40 - as clearly stated in the Bosch Gen 4 workshop manual.

It's a different shaped bit to the standard Torx and is used for automated manufacturing because it provides a much better surface for better tightening.

I guess you are in the UK. If so, you'll have no trouble finding the correct bits.

NOTE: using a Torx T40 instead of a Torx TP40 can damage the bolt head.
Interesting, thanks! Still waiting to hear back from Cube to find what torque they recommend. I've seen a post on here which listed nm figures to use but these were from Bosch so I had no idea if that takes into account the frame being carbon or alu :/

Might as well try and get the right torx plus bit before I try anything tighter.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
So... Since my last update, I've gotten myself some Torx Plus bits :)

I hadn't heard back from Cube yet so called Hargroves Cycles at the weekend since the Cube site listed them as a premium dealer so I figured they might know the specific torque settings for my 2020 stereo hybrid 160. The guy confirmed it was 30nm and also confirmed this was a figure specified by Bosch and not cube.

At the weekend, I torqued everything up to 30nm but the creaking was still there. I thought it might be because I hadn't loosed all the bolts first before torquing them and instead I had just tightened them up from where they were but starting with the one that had loosened.

Today, I removed all 6 bolts... The motor doesn't just fall out which is nice but it makes me wonder if there's anything else in there I'd have to removed to drop the motor out? I removed all 6 bolts and wiggled it around some before re-inserting the bolts. I then torqued everything up again and tightened evenly by going to the opposite end of the motor each time I moved to a new bolt but the creak is still there when I put some force down on the cranks.

I'm not a light guy at 6'5/18ish stone but I'd like to think that since it didn't creak when I got it, it shouldn't creak now. I figure I'll have to really drop the motor next time to clear out the dust in there properly.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
The motor doesn't just fall out which is nice but it makes me wonder if there's anything else in there I'd have to removed to drop the motor out? I removed all 6 bolts and wiggled it around some before re-inserting the bolts. I then torqued everything up again and tightened evenly by going to the opposite end of the motor each time I moved to a new bolt but the creak is still there when I put some force down on the cranks.

'Fraid you've only done half the job. The following video is in German but I just checked and YouTube's autotranslate does seem to sort of work if you don't speak it.

There are a couple of brackets which mount the motor to the frame and it seems to be these bolts which Cube assemblers seem to have some problems with tightening. As you can see from the video, the damage caused to the bike is "noticeable" :eek:

Edit: Forgot to mention that the mounting plates are fastened with pentalobe screws. So make sure the bits for those are in your toolkit before you start.

Last edited:

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
'Fraid you've only done half the job. The following video is in German but I just checked and YouTube's autotranslate does seem to sort of work if you don't speak it.

There are a couple of brackets which mount the motor to the frame and it seems to be these bolts which Cube assemblers seem to have some problems with tightening. As you can see from the video, the damage caused to the bike is "noticeable" :eek:

Edit: Forgot to mention that the mounting plates are fastened with pentalobe screws. So make sure the bits for those are in your toolkit before you start.

Ta, I'll take a look in a bit :)

Tony

May 27, 2018
South coast

Thanks for this, GP. Mine has developed the creak too. Used subtitles and auto translate, hilarious translation possibly better than Monty Python,

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Thanks for this, GP. Mine has developed the creak too. Used subtitles and auto translate, hilarious translation possibly better than Monty Python,
'Threesome on a bus' and the unfortunate 'Jew meter' were my faves in the little bits I listened to.

?
Yeah, auto translate is pretty appalling on German to English. In fact, German to anything with google translate, because it translates via English into any other language. I used to make a nice little income checking translated engineering documents for German companies. Could always tell when they had used google translate. The absolute classic was in a set of procedures which included the phrase: "... and the Project Manager shall breast feed his team..."

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
Mine developed a horrible creak at about 200 miles, I greased the swingarm lower pivot bolt and it’s completely silent still over 100 miles later. Easy 5 min job so well worth a shot on a noisy bike.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East
Mine developed a horrible creak at about 200 miles, I greased the swingarm lower pivot bolt and it’s completely silent still over 100 miles later. Easy 5 min job so well worth a shot on a noisy bike.

Definitely not the issue on mine but it's good to have another thing to check for anyone else :)

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Mine cube developed creaking sound after 3700 kilometres, I took it to LBS and they tighten motor bolts, creaking sound stopped. They didn't want to give me numbers, probably they tighten the bolts with "feeling" I hope they didn't overtighten. But yeah Cube made some serious design error here and probably I wouldn't bought bike if I was aware of this problem before. If someone has complete torque numbers for stereo hybrid please share with us.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Mine cube developed creaking sound after 3700 kilometres, I took it to LBS and they tighten motor bolts, creaking sound stopped. They didn't want to give me numbers, probably they tighten the bolts with "feeling" I hope they didn't overtighten. But yeah Cube made some serious design error here and probably I wouldn't bought bike if I was aware of this problem before. If someone has complete torque numbers for stereo hybrid please share with us.

The video above quotes 10Nm for the pentalobe bolts.

Phal44

Jul 5, 2020
South East

I eventually returned my bike to the original store to be examined and they logged an RMA case with Cube. The frame was eventually replaced by Cube and the shop gave me these figures for torque:

11nm for the 6 large Torx Plus bolts that screw through the frame holes into the motor brackets
6nm for the smaller bolts screwing the brackets into the motor case itself

After all the issues, I believe my original problem was a combination of loose motor bolts and bracket bolts (aside from the lack of torque figures available!).

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I eventually returned my bike to the original store to be examined and they logged an RMA case with Cube. The frame was eventually replaced by Cube and the shop gave me these figures for torque:

11nm for the 6 large Torx Plus bolts that screw through the frame holes into the motor brackets
6nm for the smaller bolts screwing the brackets into the motor case itself

After all the issues, I believe my original problem was a combination of loose motor bolts and bracket bolts (aside from the lack of torque figures available!).
I also replaced headset and today I noticed that lower bolt on stem which hold front fork ( don't know how to say other way, bad English) is loosen. I tried to tight it and I can't. Looks like the LBS overtighten that bolt.. ?omg I hope that they didn't overtighten the motor, I don't know what I will do if I will have problems because of that. What should I do?

Terry Brook

Apr 1, 2021
sheffield
I recently bought the Cube Stereo hybrid 140 SLT HPC, its a 2020 model but bought new 2 month ago, now done under 150 miles. i have noticed this creaking appear on my left crank/pedal. looks like i will have to go through all of above. i will be dropping this back to shop, very soon for a service, will be pointing this problem out.
Thank you All

Oct 4, 2020
GB
I recently bought the Cube Stereo hybrid 140 SLT HPC, its a 2020 model but bought new 2 month ago, now done under 150 miles. i have noticed this creaking appear on my left crank/pedal. looks like i will have to go through all of above. i will be dropping this back to shop, very soon for a service, will be pointing this problem out.
Thank you All

I noticed the very same thing on my left crank but by the time I got the home bolt on the crank had dropped out. My LBS sent a new bolt all fitted fine but after around 40 miles came loose again. Now I can only ride for around 10 mins with out it coming loose. Tried everything, wondering if the the thread is now shot hence why the bolt won't stay in.....

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I noticed the very same thing on my left crank but by the time I got the home bolt on the crank had dropped out. My LBS sent a new bolt all fitted fine but after around 40 miles came loose again. Now I can only ride for around 10 mins with out it coming loose. Tried everything, wondering if the the thread is now shot hence why the bolt won't stay in.....
If you bought from an LBS they should sort it out for you. Is the thread into the Carbon? Does it have an insert for the thread.Might need to replace the insert, can get a helicoil kit for 40pounds/euro to do the job. What threadlock compound are you using? There are different compounds with different strengths. I use the blue one on all my bikes. If you have a bolt you don’t fancy taking out very often or ever then you can use the red one.

Oct 4, 2020
GB
If you bought from an LBS they should sort it out for you. Is the thread into the Carbon? Does it have an insert for the thread.Might need to replace the insert, can get a helicoil kit for 40pounds/euro to do the job. What threadlock compound are you using? There are different compounds with different strengths. I use the blue one on all my bikes. If you have a bolt you don’t fancy taking out very often or ever then you can use the red one.
Hi, its the bolt attaching the crank arm to the Bosch motor so no carbon (that I know of). I used loctite thread locker normal. Not sure if that's any good, im a bit hopeless at this sort of thing. Just don't understand why it come loose every time.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Hi, its the bolt attaching the crank arm to the Bosch motor so no carbon (that I know of). I used loctite thread locker normal. Not sure if that's any good, im a bit hopeless at this sort of thing. Just don't understand why it come loose every time.
Apologies, I misunderstood. That is very strange about that crank bolt. As you have replaced the bolt, I would suspect there is an issue with.the internal threads. They should not come loose.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles