Cheap Phone Mount

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Rob's vids & the EMBN guys are essential viewing. Channel Zimmer would be equally essential. A lady co-presenter too maybe? So much content that the others wouldn't touch.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Amazingly, the cheapo GUB G83 has survived all this time strapped on the Kenevo's bars though enough crashes for a crash test dummy to have earned early retirement.

Sadly, it won't fit on the Focus Bars as they're 35mm.

BUT !

It also comes with a longer screw so you can attach just the head unit straight to the steerer tube using the star nut.

On the focus for example. Remove the 30mm bolt. Leave the cap in place. Put the phone holder on and attach firmly with the 50mm bolt.

gub.jpg

I mounted it upside down or it would hang off too much and yes it's not quite straight in the pic and has since been straightened.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ordered the Gub G-85 to try (Amazon) . This is the Aluminium version of the G-83 (plastic) (e-bay).

It also comes with the Steerer tube bolt so you can attach there rather than using the handlebar clamps.

gub1.jpg

Back side of G-83 above and back side of G-85 Below. I took the two screws out and removed the shiny plate which centralises it on the handlebar mount.

gub2.jpg

On it's second fitting, I have a rubber washer between it and the top cap. I discovered that if you have the steerer top cap bolt too tight on a fox fork you get a creak which sounds like the Fox CSU creak. The washer means it doesn't rotate and can be installed with less torque.

gub3.jpg

Both have been perfect or rides mounted like that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles