Chain oil

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
For years all I have used on my chain is GT85. Some say it’s too thin. I have tried different chain oils but can’t seem to find one I like. They either wash off or attract the dirt and grime and end up looking so messy and clogging up jockey wheels. Have been recommended Juice lubes Viking lube but looking at reviews it seems a lot of wastage and having to apply a lot of times etc. I want some thing for all seasons not one for dry days and one for wet days and one for fall off days. what do you guys use and can recommend.

Last edited:

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
I used to use Muc-off dry lube, fancied a change so am currently trying Squirt chain lube. I think shifting is better and the jockey wheels don't get gummed up with the usual black stuff. Some people say its good for two rides or more but I've found if you use a cleaner when washing your bike you'll have to reapply it.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Boeshield T9. It was recommended by LBS a few years back, been through a couple of bottles.
This is what our bike shop recommends as a general rule. When I first started using it, it seemed a little too wet for off road use...maybe prone to attracting too much dirt/dust...but that has turned out not to be the case. It doesn't look like it, but there's a fair amount of wax suspended in the oil, and it stays cleaner than I would ever have expected. As always, one needs to occasionally clean the cogs on any MTB/EMTB, but I've found the T9 to be very user friendly and doing an amazing job of lasting lubrication.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Squirt.

Tried everything else.

Works in all conditions, gives excellent life span, isn't sticky. (Actually change bikes more frequently than chains since changing to squirt) Just re-lube every 30-50k for short rides or once a ride for longer rides. Put it on after your ride or 15 minutes before you ride. Just put a dribble on the inside of the chain, move to next section and so on, spin it round a few times to equalise, voila !

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
it really does not matter...any lube will do........it is not subject to heat or rapid movement so dont waste money on anything fancy. It is dust/mud and grime that wears the chain so cleaning is more important.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
it really does not matter...any lube will do........it is not subject to heat or rapid movement so dont waste money on anything fancy. It is dust/mud and grime that wears the chain so cleaning is more important.
I disagree.

I went through a phase where I was obsessed with the muc off lubes for ages but had huge chain wear - because they're sticky.

Eventually I switched to a lube, ride, clean ride routine which improved things, but it still wasn't fantastic.

With squirt I NEVER clean my chain. Nothing sticks to it. Yes, when it's mud caked, I'll let it dry and brush it off before lubing, but that's it.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I use Muc Off dry lube through summer. Cleaned & lubed my chain last Thursday & rode on Friday. The chain squeaked all the way round, so I reckon I'm binning it off. How's the bruise, ZimZim?

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I used to use Muc-off wet lube during winter and then the dry lube during summer (what's that?). I cleaned my drive train regularly in between applications. It was always a bit of a mess to clean and I was never really happy with it.

I switched to Fenwicks Professional Lube when I received my brand new bike last year and it's been a revelation. Not messy at all, quiet, easy to deep clean if you want to and it lets you know when your chain needs a bit more - shifting becomes a bit erratic. That might just be the XT drivetrain though.

I can't praise it enough....although I really want to try the Peaty's lube, it might be years before the Fenwick's runs out...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use Muc Off dry lube through summer. Cleaned & lubed my chain last Thursday & rode on Friday. The chain squeaked all the way round, so I reckon I'm binning it off. How's the bruise, ZimZim?
Ah, you noticed ! :)

Tickles !! But healing fast !

The deep lateral laceration has already healed and vanished due to my weird vampire turbo healing. Sadly my body is just like everyone elses with bruising.

1723876316964.png

1723876039237.png

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut
For years all I have used on my chain is GT85. Some say it’s too thin. I have tried different chain oils but can’t seem to find one I like. They either wash off or attract the dirt and grime and end up looking so messy and clogging up jockey wheels. Have been recommended Juice lubes Viking lube but looking at reviews it seems a lot of wastage and having to apply a lot of times etc. I want some thing for all seasons not one for dry days and one for wet days and one for fall off days. what do you guys use and can recommend.
Suggest you go to Zero Friction Cycling to get some ideas. He did lots of different lube tests in different conditions. He has his favorites and sells lube products but the testing seems impartial and accurate., and very extensive.

MTB BUM

Nov 18, 2023
Usa
I disagree.

I went through a phase where I was obsessed with the muc off lubes for ages but had huge chain wear - because they're sticky.

Eventually I switched to a lube, ride, clean ride routine which improved things, but it still wasn't fantastic.

With squirt I NEVER clean my chain. Nothing sticks to it. Yes, when it's mud caked, I'll let it dry and brush it off before lubing, but that's it.
Which Squirt are you using?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
3 in 1 oil cheap as chips.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
As above head to Zero Friction Cycling ( then don’t buy anything else from Muc Off after reading what they say about it! ) . For ultimate longevity of both lubricant and drivetrain - Putoline wax is your friend.

bonescro

Feb 20, 2022
Pensacola, Florida
Boeshield T-9. I've been using it for thirty years, with a few diversions over the years, but I always returned. It's the best IMHO. Once a week I put a drop on each link, and once a month I scrub the chain and then put two drops of T-9 one every link. I also use it to lube my derailleur, and a drop on the dropper seal and the for seals help out a lot. I actually bought a GALLON of the stuff. It's literally a lifetime supply. I just remembered that I need to add it to my will. Whenever my buddies run out, I let them come by and fill their bottles for five bucks. Win-win.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
I've been in the "bike business" for over 30 years and have tried nearly every bike lube on the market. I'm meticulous about my drivetrain and have always preferred to keep it as clean as possible. For a long time, I read about immersive chain waxing but was reluctant to try it because it seemed too time-consuming, especially with the need for dedicated pots to melt the wax.

However, times have changed. With electric slow cookers and specialized chain wax formulas now available, I decided to finally give immersive waxing a shot. Let me say one thing: I will NEVER go back to regular chain lube.

No more dirty chains or gritty drivetrains. I've switched to immersive waxing on all my bikes—acoustic MTB, eMTB, and road—and the durability is unmatched. I primarily ride in ultra-dry, dusty conditions, with the occasional muddy or rainy ride. The wax repels everything: dust, mud, water, and the chain stays sparkling clean.

The immersive waxing process is quick and clean if you have a simple slow cooker. I've had exceptional results using SILCA Secret Chain Blend for this purpose. The performance of my bike chain has noticeably improved, particularly during my mountain rides. Unlike other dry lubes that often resulted in a noisy chain after just one ride, the SILCA wax keeps my chain silent for 3-4 rides, even under tough conditions.

One of the most impressive aspects of this method is how resilient the waxed chain is in adverse weather. Whether it's rain or mud, the chain performs flawlessly without compromising its cleanliness. The chain remains completely dry and clean to the touch—no more greasy residue like with traditional lubes.

Maintenance has become incredibly straightforward. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol is all it takes to prep the chain for another ride. When it's time to reapply the wax, I simply toss the chain in the slow cooker, wait for the wax to melt, swish the chain a couple of times, remove, and hang it to dry. Done. This process is far less messy and time-consuming than the degreaser routine required with regular lubes.

Overall, immersive waxing has completely transformed my bike maintenance routine. The only thing I regret is not adopting this method sooner.

20240530_133541.jpg

20240530_133808.jpg

20240530_144030.jpg

20240530_154931.jpg

20240726_122959.jpg

PNWmtnBKR

Subscriber
Feb 5, 2024
WA, USA
I've been in the "bike business" for over 30 years and have tried nearly every bike lube on the market. I'm meticulous about my drivetrain and have always preferred to keep it as clean as possible. For a long time, I read about immersive chain waxing but was reluctant to try it because it seemed too time-consuming, especially with the need for dedicated pots to melt the wax.

However, times have changed. With electric slow cookers and specialized chain wax formulas now available, I decided to finally give immersive waxing a shot. Let me say one thing: I will NEVER go back to regular chain lube.

No more dirty chains or gritty drivetrains. I've switched to immersive waxing on all my bikes—acoustic MTB, eMTB, and road—and the durability is unmatched. I primarily ride in ultra-dry, dusty conditions, with the occasional muddy or rainy ride. The wax repels everything: dust, mud, water, and the chain stays sparkling clean.

The immersive waxing process is quick and clean if you have a simple slow cooker. I've had exceptional results using SILCA Secret Chain Blend for this purpose. The performance of my bike chain has noticeably improved, particularly during my mountain rides. Unlike other dry lubes that often resulted in a noisy chain after just one ride, the SILCA wax keeps my chain silent for 3-4 rides, even under tough conditions.

One of the most impressive aspects of this method is how resilient the waxed chain is in adverse weather. Whether it's rain or mud, the chain performs flawlessly without compromising its cleanliness. The chain remains completely dry and clean to the touch—no more greasy residue like with traditional lubes.

Maintenance has become incredibly straightforward. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol is all it takes to prep the chain for another ride. When it's time to reapply the wax, I simply toss the chain in the slow cooker, wait for the wax to melt, swish the chain a couple of times, remove, and hang it to dry. Done. This process is far less messy and time-consuming than the degreaser routine required with regular lubes.

Overall, immersive waxing has completely transformed my bike maintenance routine. The only thing I regret is not adopting this method sooner.

View attachment 145434

View attachment 145435

View attachment 145436

View attachment 145437

View attachment 145438
I came here to recommend the Silca system. Their little pot makes it SO easy I’m never going back and with the new additives they just announced this week you can go 700km.
It’s truly the easiest system and so much better than oil based. I’ve switched all my chains to it.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Plenty experts on here with time and money on their hands , read it and weep . 3 chains a year no faffing aboot . Dicht wee a weet cloot and a bit of 3 in 1 . Takes about 37 seconds🥕

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
A remember much the same kind of discussion when I used to grow my own tatties at home.
Everybody had an opinion on the absolute best way to do it and everyone was convinced their way was the one and only best way !
When the time came for tattie lifting, everyone had a fine crop equally as good as any one else.
Chain lubrication is just like that.
As the man says ye can go for immersive wax to dichtin a smidgin o 3 in 1 wi a wee cloot.
Effect is much the same :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles