Chain oil

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Squirt.

Tried everything else.

Works in all conditions, gives excellent life span, isn't sticky. (Actually change bikes more frequently than chains since changing to squirt) Just re-lube every 30-50k for short rides or once a ride for longer rides. Put it on after your ride or 15 minutes before you ride. Just put a dribble on the inside of the chain, move to next section and so on, spin it round a few times to equalise, voila !
OK Zim, I will defer to your old wise ways, and am going to run Squirt.

After watching a video about it, I saw the need to start with a completely clean drive train so I removed the rear wheel, chain and derailleur. Then removed the 12 speed cassette and disassembled it and cleaned everything thoroughly in degreaser.

I took the opportunity to clean all the nooks and crannies' whilst the wheel, chain and derailleur was off.
1723959230130.png

I also thoroughly cleaned and lubed the Electronic Derailleur, including the Electrical Connection.
1723959358304.png

Then reassembled it all, and lubed it with Squirt. The chain, chainwheel and cassette were gleaming, and I expect them to stay that way ...... :LOL:
1723959631882.png

1723959702076.png

This is what the bike looked like yesterday. So ........ much effort has gone in.
1723959899511.png

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
No doubt for effetto mariposa flower power wax.
Cheap longlasting and all year round.
Better then the squirt and boeshield t9 wax that stay on my shelf

Bigmike

Dec 4, 2021
Cornwall
Tried a few muck off dry and wet e bike lube never seams to last even after totally cleaning and stripping off or coatings then fully submerged in them and the wet and dry don’t play well together basically needs a really good clean after every ride
I’m on the tru tension tungsten e-bike lube at the moment wax type as above fully degreased and submerged the first time several rides later all I have done is after washing the bike is a wipe with a microfibre and reapply very happy with it seams similar to the squirt ebike lube

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
My method, clean chain and drivetrain. Then apply a light oil, wipe of excess with isopropanol on a clean rag until dry. Then I discovered wiping the chain over with a decent car wax (think I'm using some Poorboys Natty's Wax, a semi soft car wax) on a clean rag keeps the oil between the side plates clean, lubricates the outer surfaces and repels water. No need to re-oil for a while just apply more wax, takes less than a minute. No more gunked up chains and cassettes, and silent.

Brown stripe

Mar 4, 2023
United Kingdom
I always use a dry lube. summer and winter, can't stand a black oily chain. I wipe the chain after wet rides and if its not midnight after a night ride and a few beers I will re-lube the chain. Purple extreme is my fav or squirt lube is ok.

Madonas

Dec 21, 2020
Delta BC
As an ebike rider with over 25000 km on two bikes, Boeshield T-9 is my go to lubricant.
I re lubricate after 200 km ridden .
I clean with alcholol and apply just a drop per link.
Work well in wet and dry conditions

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
There's always the bin it option, do the minimum maintenance and just buy another, probably cheaper than using expensive lubes in the long run, and certainly easier.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
There's always the bin it option, do the minimum maintenance and just buy another, probably cheaper than using expensive lubes in the long run, and certainly easier.
The maths on that doesn't add up when you are using hi-end components, let alone the bike will shift poorly and not run as silent for a much larger percentage of the time you use it.

The bottle of squirt cost AUD$20. It should last a long time.

Poor chain maintenance will not only wear the chain. But the cassette, derailleur and chainwheel. Replacing all four items would be an expensive exercise, compared with just wiping down my chain with a rag, and adding some Squirt every 50km.

That said. Part of the reason I went for Squirt is not just because of the performance, it' because it is always stocked in my LBS only 3km from my home, and at $20, was very reasonably priced, IMO.

Regarding it's performance. Whilst I hold the information on this forum as solid information. There are many video's and reviews about Squirt confirming that information being shared here.

1724022570380.png

Last edited:

Amber Valley Guy

Oct 15, 2023
Alfreton
You didn't read my earlier post, did you? We all have our favourite brands and methods of chain/ drivetrain maintenance, and some just don't care/can't be bothered. It's not your money being spaffed away, so get over it. I've got a garage full of lubricants, degreasers and waxes, why do I or anyone else need to buy more more to fit your Squirt headspace?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
You didn't read my earlier post, did you? We all have our favourite brands and methods of chain/ drivetrain maintenance, and some just don't care/can't be bothered. It's not your money being spaffed away, so get over it. I've got a garage full of lubricants, degreasers and waxes, why do I or anyone else need to buy more more to fit your Squirt headspace?
I thought we were just sharing information ? No one needs to do anything. Enjoy your day. :)

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
The bottle of squirt cost AUD$20. It should last a long time.

Right on. I use another brand of dry wax lube, but my philosophy is similar.

After every ride, I wipe down the chain with a clean rag, then hose down the chain with lubricant as I spin the cranks. I'm not at all stingy about it. Santa usually brings me an 8 ounce bottle, and it lasts throughout the year. I ride multiple times a week.

Sometimes I see people using a minute amount on there chains, or trying to see how many rides they can get before they need to relube it. Those are the same folks who might end up with a finicky drivetrain in the middle of a ride, or who are frequently replacing parts. Why wouldn't anyone spend a measly $15-$20 a year on a bottle of lube if it maximizes the life of their drivetrain?

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Why wouldn't anyone spend a measly $15-$20 a year on a bottle of lube if it maximizes the life of their drivetrain?
Absolutely.

It sounds like there are many lubes that perform well. And all of them seem to be low input, high result, from using them.

I'm a bit of a drivetrain perfectionist. Hence why I went to the combined Shimano motor and Di2 Electronic Shifting setup. The shifting is real nice. So even if I used a $20 bottle every year. It's a very small price to pay for the joy of slick, fast shifting and silent running. Not to mention the reduced wear.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
For years all I have used on my chain is GT85. Some say it’s too thin. I have tried different chain oils but can’t seem to find one I like. They either wash off or attract the dirt and grime and end up looking so messy and clogging up jockey wheels. Have been recommended Juice lubes Viking lube but looking at reviews it seems a lot of wastage and having to apply a lot of times etc. I want some thing for all seasons not one for dry days and one for wet days and one for fall off days. what do you guys use and can recommend.

I use this Silca product successfully after cleaning and chain is completely dry. It also gets a good rating from independent chain lube lab test.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
For years all I have used on my chain is GT85. Some say it’s too thin. I have tried different chain oils but can’t seem to find one I like. They either wash off or attract the dirt and grime and end up looking so messy and clogging up jockey wheels. Have been recommended Juice lubes Viking lube but looking at reviews it seems a lot of wastage and having to apply a lot of times etc. I want some thing for all seasons not one for dry days and one for wet days and one for fall off days. what do you guys use and can recommend.

This is an informative article you mat want to read.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia

This is an informative article you mat want to read.
Regarding the Squirt results. They also found this in video reviews. You need to do 2 applications of Squirt to get good penetration. And you must let Squirt dry properly between applications and before use. Only then will you get the really low wear rates. This really isn't said in the manufacturers directions. It says to only wait 5 mins between initial applications, and it doesn't say how long to wait before riding. Other than to say, Wait till dry.

So after cleaning everything thoroughly, I actually did 3 initial applications of squirt. And waited an hour between applications. And going forward. I will be lubing my chain after I ride. I'll wipe and lube, ready for the next ride. It will just be part of my cleaning regime that I have after each ride.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No back pedalling at all, it’s not my fault you didn’t see it as a joke.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It seems that everyone has their favourite method. Here's mine.

I use Finish Line wet lube all year round. I use it before almost every ride.
I run the mucky chain through an old Terry towel for half a dozen or so runs. I press the towel onto the sides and the top and bottom, alternately. Then I repeat with a clean part of the towel to check it's clean. Then I apply the lube spout to the top of the lower strand of chain, squeeze just hard enough to get the oil flowing, turn the crank six times to ensure I've covered the whole chain. Then turn the crank whilst indexing through the gears back and forth a few times. Leave the bike for a while, but wipe through the towel a few times before riding.

I have not used a chain cleaner (the one with the rotary brushes) for years and years.

I get good chain life, silent shifting and its quick and cheap.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I've been in the "bike business" for over 30 years and have tried nearly every bike lube on the market. I'm meticulous about my drivetrain and have always preferred to keep it as clean as possible. For a long time, I read about immersive chain waxing but was reluctant to try it because it seemed too time-consuming, especially with the need for dedicated pots to melt the wax.

However, times have changed. With electric slow cookers and specialized chain wax formulas now available, I decided to finally give immersive waxing a shot. Let me say one thing: I will NEVER go back to regular chain lube.

No more dirty chains or gritty drivetrains. I've switched to immersive waxing on all my bikes—acoustic MTB, eMTB, and road—and the durability is unmatched. I primarily ride in ultra-dry, dusty conditions, with the occasional muddy or rainy ride. The wax repels everything: dust, mud, water, and the chain stays sparkling clean.

The immersive waxing process is quick and clean if you have a simple slow cooker. I've had exceptional results using SILCA Secret Chain Blend for this purpose. The performance of my bike chain has noticeably improved, particularly during my mountain rides. Unlike other dry lubes that often resulted in a noisy chain after just one ride, the SILCA wax keeps my chain silent for 3-4 rides, even under tough conditions.

One of the most impressive aspects of this method is how resilient the waxed chain is in adverse weather. Whether it's rain or mud, the chain performs flawlessly without compromising its cleanliness. The chain remains completely dry and clean to the touch—no more greasy residue like with traditional lubes.

Maintenance has become incredibly straightforward. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth moistened with isopropyl alcohol is all it takes to prep the chain for another ride. When it's time to reapply the wax, I simply toss the chain in the slow cooker, wait for the wax to melt, swish the chain a couple of times, remove, and hang it to dry. Done. This process is far less messy and time-consuming than the degreaser routine required with regular lubes.

Overall, immersive waxing has completely transformed my bike maintenance routine. The only thing I regret is not adopting this method sooner.

View attachment 145434

View attachment 145435

View attachment 145436
Just had that in a other eMTB web-pub where expensive add ons are offered for the above mentioned stuff. Reminded me of good old motorcycle days with non-O-Ring chains being cooked in heated grease what looked pretty much the same, chain grease in a tin:
Chain grease in a tin

IMG_3348.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles