Bye-bye Fillmore valves

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
As said here: What did you buy your ebike this week?

Bought four new Presta valves. Why?

Changed four tyres and at same time fitted Fillmore valves. Clogged up several times while injecting Muc-Off tubeless sealant, probably due to Muc-Off sealant particle size.

After fitting Fillmore valves binned old Presta valves. Not changing to another sealant so bye-bye Fillmore, back to Presta. If Presta valves clog up then the cores are easy and cheap to replace, got plenty of them.

No prize for guessing why Muc-Off have developed their own proprietory valves. ;)

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Because it works so well decided to keep the Muc-Off sealant and go back to Presta.

(IMO) Fillmore valves need a redesign, for example with the poppet valve removable from the top.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Replaced Fillmore valves with Presta valves, then measured Presta and Fillmore valves at pump end of valves.

Presta valve body ID with core removed = ~4.2mm

Fillmore valve body ID = ~3.5mm

Fillmore poppet valve stem OD = ~1.5mm

So the Fillmore valve has (3.5-1.5)/2 = 1mm each side of the poppet valve stem for sealant to enter the tyre compared to the Presta valve with > 4mm for sealant to enter the tyre.

No surprise then that sealants such as Muc-Off with large particle sizes clog up when injected through Fillmore valves. With such sealants the name Fillmore is an amusing misnomer. 😆

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Replaced Fillmore valves with Presta valves, then measured Presta and Fillmore valves at pump end of valves.

Presta valve body ID with core removed = ~4.2mm

Fillmore valve body ID = ~3.5mm

Fillmore poppet valve stem OD = ~1.5mm

So the Fillmore valve has (3.5-1.5)/2 = 1mm each side of the poppet valve stem for sealant to enter the tyre compared to the Presta valve with > 4mm for sealant to enter the tyre.

No surprise then that sealants such as Muc-Off with large particle sizes clog up when injected through Fillmore valves. With such sealants the name Fillmore is an amusing misnomer. 😆
always good to have some technical research rather than rely on market speak(y)

Bikeplexed

Oct 1, 2020
Pacifica, ca
A friend recommended fillmore's and they are a big time-saver and emergency getter-outer. I've tried other sealants and settled on Stans cause it works fine, but I don't go injecting sealant through a valve (ever! ..why youtube?)
But, I have talked to rider friends that it didn't work for. I don't get it!
There is zero downside ...I've found and only wish I'd saved all that incremental time every single ride getting things perfect. Super easy setup. Faster checking pressure every ride getting out the door. No sealant clogs and leaking issues after several months keeping things going (quickly). And especially when you flat out. Presta's suck, always clog and cause problems with CO2 and/or just don't let pressure out or in after a few month's use. Other benes of Fillmores.
- Using CO2 consistently works, where presta often backs out the inner valve and leaves you stuck miles from home.
- Replacing tires is easier on lighter ebike and about 1/2 the time on a 2.4 X 29'er I can just use a pump and it locks the bead just fine. Also have another FFE ebike w/ 27.5X2.8's and just easier overall.
Con: They cost too much. But I have friends that didn't like them so traded so Stans presta. I win win win win win!!! ;-)
Oh, there's a lot of overthinking w/ sealant. Why inject into valves. Just close 1/2 the tire and pour in your 100ml or so of sealant right into the "not yet sealed" tire before sealing the tire. So much easier and faster. You might get some "white stuff" on your pants, so gear-up! As for the injector tubes for puttin through the valve, I have 4 different setups for that. but it's just in my heap of extra bike stuff.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
A friend recommended fillmore's and they are a big time-saver and emergency getter-outer. I've tried other sealants and settled on Stans cause it works fine, but I don't go injecting sealant through a valve (ever! ..why youtube?)
But, I have talked to rider friends that it didn't work for. I don't get it!
There is zero downside ...I've found and only wish I'd saved all that incremental time every single ride getting things perfect. Super easy setup. Faster checking pressure every ride getting out the door. No sealant clogs and leaking issues after several months keeping things going (quickly). And especially when you flat out. Presta's suck, always clog and cause problems with CO2 and/or just don't let pressure out or in after a few month's use. Other benes of Fillmores.
- Using CO2 consistently works, where presta often backs out the inner valve and leaves you stuck miles from home.
- Replacing tires is easier on lighter ebike and about 1/2 the time on a 2.4 X 29'er I can just use a pump and it locks the bead just fine. Also have another FFE ebike w/ 27.5X2.8's and just easier overall.
Con: They cost too much. But I have friends that didn't like them so traded so Stans presta. I win win win win win!!! ;-)
Oh, there's a lot of overthinking w/ sealant. Why inject into valves. Just close 1/2 the tire and pour in your 100ml or so of sealant right into the "not yet sealed" tire before sealing the tire. So much easier and faster. You might get some "white stuff" on your pants, so gear-up! As for the injector tubes for puttin through the valve, I have 4 different setups for that. but it's just in my heap of extra bike stuff.
Seems that Fillmore valves work OK with Stans tubeless sealant but not with Muc-off tubeless sealant. Will not switch to Stans because Fillmore valves are incompatible with Muc-off. Always park our bikes with wheels at 4 or 8 o'clock and only very occasionally have jammed Presta valves. In that event we simply remove the valve, run a pipe cleaner through the valve body, then put in a new valve. Job done.

Edit - We inject sealant through the valve and top up sealant through the valve (with the core removed of course). When inflating new tyres use a JoeBlow Mountain X, tyres seat OK.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles