Breathable waterproof shorts?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Struggling to find some decent shorts atm, I see stuff like Mens C5 Gws Trail Short but seems a bit bland to me.....any other suggestions?
They’re not waterproof. You need the gore GTX C5 Trail Short for that.
I have a pair.
Dull to look at, yes... but a fantastic over short to put on top of your regular shorts when the trails are wet. 100% waterproof - I actually hose them down when they get dirty! Not cheap at £130 a pair though.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I have a pair.
Dull to look at, yes... but a fantastic over short to put on top of your regular shorts when the trails are wet. 100% waterproof - I actually hose them down when they get dirty! Not cheap at £130 a pair though.

Any idea on the sizing, I wear some Troy Lee padded shorted under, size 34 waist, I can see some on offer currently but only size L and I'm guessing I might need XL

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don’t see the point in waterproof shorts , just buy waterproof pants/trousers and your whole leg(s) dry !
You know when you ride in very sloppy conditions and tons of wet mud is sprayed all over your lower trouser legs? especially your rearward leg. and you know when after an hour or so those lower legs get so wet and heavy your trousers barely stay up at waist and the crotch starts to sag and snag on your saddle?
Well that doesn't happen so badly when your trousers don't have lower legs ;)

I prefer long trousers as well but there are times when the above happens I wish I'd been in 3/4s instead.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I don’t see the point in waterproof shorts , just buy waterproof pants/trousers and your whole leg(s) dry !

Nice sunny day, but bucketing the night before = soaking wet trails.
Waterproof shorts = dry bum!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Any idea on the sizing, I wear some Troy Lee padded shorted under, size 34 waist, I can see some on offer currently but only size L and I'm guessing I might need XL

All my jeans and work trousers are a 32” waist, and I wear a Large. They’re plenty big for me to pull over a pair of padded shorts and trail shorts (so I end up wearing 3 pairs!).
I could skip the trail shorts, but then I’d forfeit some useful pockets... as the one in the GTX shorts isn’t big enough for a phone!

Where are you seeing Large on offer? I was looking for another pair!

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
if you want a ghetto solution, the cheapest way to get gore-tex shorts is to buy a pair of surplus navy over trousers from eBay and cut them down. They are blue/grey in colour and about £20, but make sure you measure both your waist and bum circumference in cm's before ordering. Length doesn't matter?

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
The Trailscout half & half short is good for warm days with wet trails. Keeps your ass dry, and the front side is fully breathable.

After getting caught by a summer storm... ⛈
vlcsnap-2020-10-30-09h31m11s643 (2).png

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
interesting.

5b640f6ccb6a49.89646651.jpg

Thank you for your advice. Bruno ;)

Personally I think the mtb enduro inspired "fashion" of riding shorts, knee pads, long socks and a fanny pack makes grown men look like a bunch of lost page boys. DH kit these days isn't much better, DH pyjamas have become so tight they look no better than the lycra they're all so scared to be seen in
TBF most cyclists look like twats.
Wear what you want bud

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah the current trend for skinny DH pants makes finding a decent pair of "normal fit" ones quite a chore

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
if you want a ghetto solution, the cheapest way to get gore-tex shorts is to buy a pair of surplus navy over trousers from eBay and cut them down. They are blue/grey in colour and about £20, but make sure you measure both your waist and bum circumference in cm's before ordering. Length doesn't matter?

Had a look on eBay, and most are 40” waists!
Will have a better look later, but I think a pair of £20-30 trousers may be a good bet for some of the conditions just now.
I’ve got Gore C5 GTX trail trousers, but a pair of camo army trousers will hide the dirt better, and probably be harder wearing too ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Someone posted a great all in one top down to your knees thing, about £170 not sure if it was breathable but looked like you could just peel it off no hassle, mud suddenly became your friend with this thing on, wish I could remember what it was hmmm

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
All my jeans and work trousers are a 32” waist, and I wear a Large. They’re plenty big for me to pull over a pair of padded shorts and trail shorts (so I end up wearing 3 pairs!).
I could skip the trail shorts, but then I’d forfeit some useful pockets... as the one in the GTX shorts isn’t big enough for a phone!

Where are you seeing Large on offer? I was looking for another pair!

Well,
I have a pair.

I tend to start with this https://www.idealo.co.uk/mscat.html?q=GTX+C5+shorts and then also Keepa.com - Amazon Price Tracker then finally a quick google search by clicking on the 'shopping' tab, over time you'll save a small fortune this way. Another tip would be to use keepa to check international locales too, you'd be amazed at how much cheaper stuff can be from other countries, crazy at times honestly....the really cool thing is you get price histories on both these sites so you can sense check the price, if its high, fine wait, set an alert and buy at the right time.....

I should have ordered the other day as the L was £97, they've all sold out now by looks, Amazon have some for like £119....I'm kind of thinking about getting blue tbh instead of the usual boring black! Cracking price on XL here C5 GTX Paclite Trail Shorts but Im a 34 so dont think even with my TL shorts I'll fill this out enough!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles