Bike fixing and you

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I must admit I know nothing about fixing my bike if things go wrong or need setting up. Apart from squirting some lube on the chain and pumping up the tyres and keeping it clean . I just ride it and if it breaks I take it to someone who knows.
Do you fix yours and know the workings. (y)

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I've learnt how to do most stuff now. Didn't have a clue with most of it to start with.

I've always been pretty competent with cars and have a comprehensive set of tools, but annoyingly you seem to need another entire tool kit for bikes!

I have to say I don't know how people can afford to take them to the bike shop all the time. It's expensive enough for just the parts and me providing the labour!

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I must admit I know nothing about fixing my bike if things go wrong or need setting up.

Do you fix yours and know the workings.

Before I knew how to fix a bike, I didn't know how to fix a bike.

When I started riding seriously, I'd rather pay someone to maintain the bike. That worked out for a little while, until I started getting the usual story, "Yeah, we can't get to it until Thursday," or "We order parts on Mondays, so it will be another week until it's done." That was enough to motivate me to do it myself.

After teaching myself to do these rudimentary tasks, I figured out that most of the bike shop mechanics weren't very smart or talented. I could do better work, more quickly, and cheaper. I also discovered that I could have parts delivered to my front door before the bike store could get it from their supplier, and I'd get it for less.

Forums and YouTube are good resources, but as you know, anyone and his dog are allowed to spout off. Sometimes you have to use your own intellect to figure things out. You didn't come out and ask the question, but it seems like you might be wondering, "Should I learn to fix my own bike?" If that's the case, the answer is a resounding YES!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I think a lot of the problem is I don’t have a garage or a shed where I can have all the tools etc to do stuff. I love the idea of doing it all myself but living in a camper van with a weight limit I can’t have a full on tool kit, bike stand, etc. maybe one day I will have a house with a garage so I can look at you tube and do it all myself. 👍

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
The only caveat to doing things yourself is you will need proper tools, a space to work in and a mechanical aptitude ("its good enough will not do here" ). Sure youtube can show you most things, I have learnt so much on many different topics, but when it comes down to getting things perfect (like a brake bleed or torquing up bolts into expensive parts), it can get expensive.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I think a lot of the problem is I don’t have a garage or a shed where I can have all the tools etc to do stuff. I love the idea of doing it all myself but living in a camper van with a weight limit I can’t have a full on tool kit, bike stand, etc. maybe one day I will have a house with a garage so I can look at you tube and do it all myself. 👍

there you go then………..channel 5 on tv, million pound motor homes loads of space in those bad boys 🤣🤙

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Back in the days of leg powered bikes and only around 500 miles per year I’d just take it to the bike shop for an annual service.

Now that I have a few emtb’s to maintain and we’re averaging around 200 miles a month then I’ve slowly been building up a tool kit and the knowledge to do it all myself

I’m still taking the suspension in to be serviced though, I’m way passed just needing a simple lower leg service and some jobs I’d rather pay someone that knows what they’re doing rather than take the risk myself

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
If you want to be absolutely sure it's done right do it yourself. Painful with mistakes while you're learning for sure, but learning is a painful business because it means having to recognise mistakes, backtrack, then do it right.

Edit: @Tubby G

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If you want to be absolutely sure it's done right do it yourself. Painful with mistakes while you're learning for sure, but learning is a painful business because it means having to recognise mistakes, backtrack, then do it right.

Edit: @Tubby G

The thing is, the place I take my forks for servicing is Pace Cycles, so I trust Adrian and his team to do a far more professional job than I ever could, and their prices are quite reasonable too. I’m happy to pay for top-quality service from one of the most experienced bike designers in the industry

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do all my own maintenance. I would not ride a bike that someone else has messed with!!
I think there are more benefits to doing your own maintenance than just avoiding the cost of LBS labour charges. Stripping various parts of the bike teaches you how things work and therefore gives you instant warning if something starts to go wrong..and what the likely cause is. It also creates mechanical sympathy which greatly extends the reliability of the bike. I buy spares for my bike so hopefully have my own stock both for maintenance and repair so no down time waiting for components or LBS lead times. Obvious spares include, brake pads, chainwheel, cassette, chain, hanger, bearings, tyres, inner cables.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I'd say a few tools will go a long way. Some screwdrivers, a chain whip (although you can get away with an old rag), a cassette tool and one of these kits will get about 60% of simple maintenance jobs done.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The thing is, the place I take my forks for servicing is Pace Cycles, so I trust Adrian and his team to do a far more professional job than I ever could, and their prices are quite reasonable too. I’m happy to pay for top-quality service from one of the most experienced bike designers in the industry
I do nearly all my own work and have for some time. Depending on the forks maybe I'll do a minor service myself, or change an air shaft. But it's rare I mess with suspension, mainly because I don't have a decent workshop. I think outsourcing quality suspension maintenance and upgrades is 100% OK. Those guys do it all day. I have a great suspension shop locally (Cyclinic) and have 100% trust in them, to the point I buy all my suspension from them too to support them and ensure great service.

Wheel maintenance and building is worth going down the rabbit hole with though! (y)

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have more spare parts than my LBS! The only thing I don't do is service the motor or bleed Sram road levers. I have repaired cut Shimano electrical cables and installed new motors though. I have a decent set of tools and a full set of consumables for each bike at all times. i also keep a spare mech, hangars, brake levers etc plus parts I can strip to get a bike going.

Unless it's under warranty I'd rather do it myself to know what's going on.

Gordon

p.s. You'd be surprised how much you can do to your bike from a van.......

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Nearly all of it I do myself. Thinking back over the past two years, the only help I've had from a mechanic is when I seized a maxle in the freehub. Suspension I find so easy to maintain that I've thought about opening up a service operation on the side. Ever since I was a kid, I've had that curosity around how things work which has translated into rebuilding cars, bikes, all sorts so none of it really fazes me.

If I were to offer advice to anyone getting into maintenance it would be take your time, be methodical & above all, the key to success is to always use the right tools for the job at hand.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I do all my own stunts. I worked in a bike shop decades ago and I picked up a lot of mechanical skills. I’ve learned other stuff from YouTube mainly.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I try and avoid it, working on bikes always seems really faffy compared to working on cars.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The suspension set up is a defining feature of my bikes and its all performance elite or factory Fox so I leave servicing to TF Tuned. I have never been convinced about the virtue of lower leg service v a full service so I just get the full service done

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
I must admit I know nothing about fixing my bike if things go wrong or need setting up. Apart from squirting some lube on the chain and pumping up the tyres and keeping it clean . I just ride it and if it breaks I take it to someone who knows.
Definitely do the maintenance. Four bikes in total, Two Marin's, a Scott & a Nukeproof.
From a standard service, forks, shocks & wheel builds, sad really but I enjoy it.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
Built from scratch. The annoying part is setting up the cables but then, I still have a front mech and have cable brakes. A lot now just have a rear shifter as far as cables go. I wouldn't have a clue how to setup/maintain hydraulic brakes.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
The more you no and understand about any hobby or trade the more cynical you become of other peoples ability to trust on your stuff :confused:

Generally most of this cynicism is justified, the odd knowledgeable person will surprise you and maybe just maybe put your faith back into paying someone to do a job .

Do yourself a favour and learn your hobby whatever that maybe, its all part of the fun.

Saying all that, some work is just not feasible so needs to be subbed out but at least with some knowledge you no if the work done is good/bad or just ugly .

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
The more you no and understand about any hobby or trade the more cynical you become of other peoples ability to trust on your stuff :confused:

Generally most of this cynicism is justified, the odd knowledgeable person will surprise you and maybe just maybe put your faith back into paying someone to do a job .

Do yourself a favour and learn your hobby whatever that maybe, its all part of the fun.

Saying all that, some work is just not feasible so needs to be subbed out but at least with some knowledge you no if the work done is good/bad or just ugly .
100% correct. The down side is you become very suspicious, scrutinizing the diagnosis or explanation you are being given. Probably comes from being fed so much B.S. in the past.

Digging dog

May 25, 2022
Greater Manchester
Built from scratch. The annoying part is setting up the cables but then, I still have a front mech and have cable brakes. A lot now just have a rear shifter as far as cables go. I wouldn't have a clue how to setup/maintain hydraulic brakes.
Suppose a lot of mechanical skills comes from life experiences & opportunities. Sometimes just doing some research and then having a go might help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles