Battery Temperature for Charging

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Bjørn Nyland on youtube : His channel , has recently been doing a couple of over night sleep in the car tests and cold charging (-26c).

There's a few interesting things to note whilst he's been doing this and monitoring battery temperatures, charge rates and so on .

The model 3 for instance, doesn't even charge until the battery's heated itself to around 8c. Charge speeds only increase as battery temperatures are higher still. When driving, the car seems to keep it's battery at around 25c !

The Kia e-nero is a little more relaxed on it's battery management and doesn't heat the battery whilst in use to the same temperatures as the Tesla, normally about 10c ish. It will also let you charge when the battery is at 0c - but only slowly, speeding up once it' gets to 10-15c .

Based on the huge amount of research these companies must do, it's probably a fair assumption that if you want to extend battery life, make sure your battery's not freezing cold when you charge it and if you want to get reasonable performance when riding, ideally start with a warm battery !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The bosch system won't let you charge the battery unless it is at >=0 deg celcius up to 40deg celcius

It says the operating temperature range is -5 to +40 deg celcius.

I had a noticeable drop in torque from the motor when I was out for a ride at around 0 deg the other day.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Levo charging lower limit is 0C. I plugged in the other day with a charge of about 35% and temperature lower than this, got first light on battery steady but dim, 2nd flashing. 2 hours later same lights, unplugged charger, plugged in motor and red and blue on TCU. Took battery indoors, let it warm up for a couple of hours and fully charged it (battery lights bright as normal). Installed on the bike and all well.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Another reason I would avoid a bike that wont allow the battery to be charged away from the bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles