BAFANG GEAR SENSOR

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
Hi ,
Can you guys share your experience using the Bafang's gear sensor with a motor such as the M500/510/600?
In theory, it seems wise to use it to avoid chewing through drivetrains, but Ive also seen comments of people saying that the pause they trigger might be too long, affecting your momentum steep climbs. I haven't found any reference to being able to modify the length of the pause through Besst or the app.
I ordered one with my motor but I wonder If I should install it or not once I assemble the bike.

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
Hi, a little bit late for an answer but anyway. I have gear sensor installed on my M510 and what i can say from my riding experience so far with it is that, it is very smooth, barely noticeable on flat surfaces in lower power levels (1,2). Just 0,5 second of pause, the motor just changes noise pitch temporarily. On the climbs it is slightly noticeable because you are running here high power levels and many amps, and even that 0,5s drop is noticeable (for example you are on level 4 approx. continuous 15A and suddenly it drops to like 8A for 0.5s). It is not bad at all, you must just get used to it.

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Hi ,
Can you guys share your experience using the Bafang's gear sensor with a motor such as the M500/510/600?
In theory, it seems wise to use it to avoid chewing through drivetrains, but Ive also seen comments of people saying that the pause they trigger might be too long, affecting your momentum steep climbs. I haven't found any reference to being able to modify the length of the pause through Besst or the app.
I ordered one with my motor but I wonder If I should install it or not once I assemble the bike.
У него очень много ложных срабатываний. Вы едите в гору по камням. Датчик будет постоянно выключать мотор. Вам это надоест и Вы выбросите датчик в мусорку. Если Вы хотите блокировать мотор во время переключения просто установите датчик на ручку тормоза. Нажмите немного на тормоз и переключайте передачу.

It has a lot of false positives. You are driving uphill over rocks. The sensor will permanently turn off the motor. You will get tired of it and you will throw the sensor in the trash. If you want to block the motor during shifting, simply install the sensor on the brake lever. Slightly apply the brake and change gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
У него очень много ложных срабатываний. Вы едите в гору по камням. Датчик будет постоянно выключать мотор. Вам это надоест и Вы выбросите датчик в мусорку. Если Вы хотите блокировать мотор во время переключения просто установите датчик на ручку тормоза. Нажмите немного на тормоз и переключайте передачу.

It has a lot of false positives. You are driving uphill over rocks. The sensor will permanently turn off the motor. You will get tired of it and you will throw the sensor in the trash. If you want to block the motor during shifting, simply install the sensor on the brake lever. Slightly apply the brake and change gear.
Cool story bro. I have been riding with gear sensor for years with old Bafang BBS and now with M510 and i have never witnessed such a behaviour. Either you installed it incorrectly or you had a defective sensor.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile

Thanks for your input Lanton. I ended up not installing it, simply because I didn´t want to introduce more variables to the system since I am new to this. I will leave it for the future.

@PitcairN: Can you control the time span that the gear sensor cuts off the motor power somewhere? I´ve read several people saying that the gear sensor cuts the power for too long, rendering what Lanton is describing

PitcairN

Aug 5, 2023
Slovakia
Thanks for your input Lanton. I ended up not installing it, simply because I didn´t want to introduce more variables to the system since I am new to this. I will leave it for the future.

@PitcairN: Can you control the time span that the gear sensor cuts off the motor power somewhere? I´ve read several people saying that the gear sensor cuts the power for too long, rendering what Lanton is describing
AFAIk you can't control the cut time, but it's definitely not long, like 0.5-1s. With M510 it's like hearing F1 monopost engine during shifting :) it's very quick. In my opinion it's working absolutely perfectly for me. Listen, that sensor costs merely 20€, it plugs directly to the motor and installation is really easy. Try it for yourself and you will see if it fits your riding or not.

Karamba!

May 29, 2023
Santiago, Chile
AFAIk you can't control the cut time, but it's definitely not long, like 0.5-1s. With M510 it's like hearing F1 monopost engine during shifting :) it's very quick. In my opinion it's working absolutely perfectly for me. Listen, that sensor costs merely 20€, it plugs directly to the motor and installation is really easy. Try it for yourself and you will see if it fits your riding or not.
I do have it, I ordered it together with brake sensors and the frame+motor+battery. I will try it later, as atm I sincerely just want to ride the damn thingy. I am familiar with how easy it is to install, although I realize it needs an CAN to CAN extension cable to reach the motor, which I don´t have. I´m also not sure how to run it through the E10 cable gromits, as only one has an open side hole for passing cables with integrated connectors, and it´s already used for the HMI. So I´m not sure how to solve that one

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles